Low Vitamin D Levels

Darlene

I think there was a poll on this... mine were very low also. I know for a "normal" person you don't get symptoms or feel bad when your vitamin D is low. I'm not sure about us though...

Yes, low vit D levels can cause all kinds of pain and I do think most of us that know what our levels are - are all too low. I've been taking 7,000 a day and my levels are still in the 40's and they need to be up at least to 60. When we did this thread the last time, seems like someone said something about - there is an illness that the vit D levels need to be low - but can't remember what that was about. She was saying to be checked for that before we upped our levels. But, since mine has come up to 40 - I feel better than I did when it was lower.

Issie

Mine are low. Vit D is essential for strong bones but also for your immune system to function well so low levels can have various implications. It is important to know that taking the supplement isn't enough. You still need to spend 10-15 minutes in the sun with exposed, unprotected skin each day to allow the Vit D to be properly utilized by your body. If you take supplements but don't get enough sunlight , you won't be able to absorb it very well. It also should be taken with a meal that has a substantial amount of fat in it as it is a fat-soluble vitamin.

I've had issues with horrible fatigue/memory problems. I've found that when my vit d levels come back up with the supplements I feel a bit better. My lowest I think was 11.

Brye

Julie- that is an interesting connection. Dr G suspects autoimmune aspect to my dysauto symptoms but my testing always comes back normal. HLA B27 gene that I have seems to be connected to a lot of autoimmune diseases however.

• 2 weeks later...

I have low d but high white cells low plateletts and hemoglobin. Low d is connected to a lot of different diseases and poor health conditions

Mine was low, about 31. And I had alot of pain, lack of energy and issues with sleep, which are symptoms of low vit D. My dr. put me on 50,000IU two times a week for about 6 months. I'm now taking 5,000 daily. Last I checked, my levels were around 50. It's definitely helped. I know all these symptoms are also related to our Dysautonomia, but if you haven't had those vit D levels checked...that would be a great place to start. I felt so much better w the vit D. Now, if it would only help with the dizziness... ;)

I have had nonexistant vitamin D levels every time they've checked then, for years, but I do feel better on supplements (I use Carlson's oil-based drops usually, as my nutritionist said they were absorbed better). I live in Colorado where I get lots of sunshine but that hasn't made a difference.

I've found some discussions since I've also developed MCAD symptoms saying that osteoporosis is common in MCAD so assume there is a ink there. I've also heard that MCAD/POTS patients can have fluctuating high or low WBC counts. I'm no expert, just passing this along. But it seems enough of us have low D that it must be related to the POTS. Interestingly, though, I did not have pain with low D - - only lack of energy/brain fog were worse. But I don't have bone pain with my MCAD either like a lot of people do (knock on wood).

Don't forget to calcium supplement too while you D supplement, because you're probably low on calcium as well since it takes D for calcium to be absorbed/effective

YES!!! I have found low vitamin D makes my pain worse & POTS/NCS symptoms worse.

I have been at 6; 6.5 and 7. I have extreme fatigue and more pain when the vitamin D is low. I have Increased heart rate & palpations.

I gave taken several Rx prescriptions of Vitamin D 50,000 IU 2x a week and other times the prescription was for 1x a week. I also have tried OTC and will say the capsules work better for me than the pill form.

I think someone with Lupus and Sarcoidosis have problems taking vitamin D but they need D so it would take a knowledgable Dr to help them.