Since Developing Pots Have You Ever Felt "relaxed"?

jangle

I've noticed that since I developed POTS I haven't ever felt that sensation of "relaxation". Like in the sense of that feeling you get when you're bored and you feel sort of the rejuvenating feeling of being tired etc etc. Like in classes when one would be prone to day dreaming, it's hard to describe the sensation, but I think you know what I mean.

I distinctively remember the feeling before I had POTS, but I just can't feel it again. It's odd and I'm wondering if others are the same way. Like have you been able to feel bored, like deep boredom or greatly relaxed? I truly think that consistent with all of us is that our parasympathetic nervous system is dysfunctional, and I think that's partly why I haven't been able to feel the typical feelings associated with parasympathetic activity. Relaxed, bored, etc. etc.

Not for awhile now but I did when my POTS was more stable. Everything settles down when you can stabilize your self out, even a tiny bit. We just feel this way because our nervous systems are so messed up. Once my bp and hr were stablized, I didnt have the bp swings and adrenaline surges. There was no need for my body to activate my nervous system 24/7. Have you tried an SSRI? It can really help out with those types of systems.

I think there might be something to it. Maybe we can stabilize if we can get our parasympathetic system working again. So perhaps not focusing on reducing our sympathetic system as some drugs do but rather augmenting the parasympathetic.

Dani thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't tolerate ssris very well :(.

My mom got me a hypnosis cd, which sounds silly but I do feel truly relaxed while listening to it.

In my more stable times, yes I can feel relaxed using my yoga and meditation techniques. When I'm in those periods that feel like sympathetic hyper-drive I can't get to that place. Then it just feels like every part of my nervous system is agitated beyond belief.

I never really feel relaxed unless I am lying down when I usually have very few symptoms. If I am sitting or standing (which is rare due to the frequency of syncope). The only time that I would say that lying down poses more symptoms of not being relaxed or making me anxious is an adrenal surge.. this happens to me quite often at night in bed and that is definitely NOT relaxing.

Your so right. Even when Im relatively well I often drink a few beers to relax (trust me I cant do this now though!). Generally one of my biggest grievances with this disease is that it takes away your ability to relax.

The only time i feel a slight feeling of relaxation now when im very sick is when I boost me BP for a while. beta blockers used to be helpful but only lying down - that great 'ah...' feeling but they started giving me hypotension in the morning which made things worse unfortunately...

Meditation has worked for me. My problem is doing it consistently. It works the best for me when I do it daily for about 10-15 minutes at a time. There are some types of yoga that are also supposed to be very relaxing, and I'm going to try that soon.

Good luck!