Ear Issues

sue1234

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was thinking about my inner ear problems this morning as I lay in bed on my side. I was trying to look at something on the bookshelf and once again found I can't keep my eye on something. It is like I am off-balance and all I am doing is laying still!

So, I was reading through alot of our old posts about ear/vestibular issues, and found alot of people said they have this issue. So I thought I would start a formal poll, as you never know who is going to read through our forum and gain some kind of research insight when we show alot of people have a group of similar symptoms.

I was reading through some research that they had done with the astronauts, where they say they think they have orthostatic issues upon return to earth because the otoliths are out of place. When your body doesn't know what position it is in(standing or lying down), it gets confused whether it is supposed to constrict or vasodilate. Then, of course, the brain gets crazy with a lack of blood flow, and the whole thing goes crazy. Okay, that last sentence did not come from any research, I'm just saying.... :rolleyes:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9674521

The above link was originally posted here by someone else--I just found it looking back through old posts.

This one just talks in the beginning paragraph how a misplaced otolith could contribute to orthostatic intolerance.

http://www.dsls.usra.edu/meetings/bio2005/pdf/HHCPosters/2130Serrador.pdf

I found a few other references to the vestibular system needing to be in good order to make sure all the orthostatic systems are working properly.

Well, like I said in one of my earlier posts, I need to have my ear checked. I don't drive because of the "off" feeling I have from it. I guess I'll look up a neuro-otologist.

I have a tendency to build up fluid in my right ear.

Sometimes it drains and when it does it feels like a bug crawling around in a loop and then I feel it start to move down after that.

I usually get a sense of relief as this happens but then I think it just builds up again.

It's usually my right eye that gives me fits and if I get a headache the right side of my head that hurts.

I probably should really have a tube put in that ear but ack!

That would give me more to worry about.

My problem is my left ear. Really bad ear ringing and I use to get a lot of ear infections. I did go ahead and get a tube placed. At first it made everything really weird and worse, but over a couple weeks it got so much better. It's been a year since it has been placed and I have had a lot less trouble. I still get ringing and a few other symptoms, but not near as bad. Before the tubes my whole left side of my face would swell and I would be in so much pain. I'm not sure how it's all related, but the tubes helped some.

hi reen,

i had the caloric test done at an Ear and Eye hospital. My neurologist ordered it as part of a vestibular work up.

basically they run hot air through your ear then cold air through your ear (for about a minute each). at the same time they have goggles on your eyes. so by the reaction of your eyes they do some calculations and can tell whether there is vestibular weakness.

I think most ENT dr's can perform this test too.

its meant to make you very dizzy but only for a short time, only the minutes during and after the test.

I've had so many tests done for my ears when all the dizziness started (regular hearing test, ENG, caloric, VEMP, a CT scan cause they thought I might have a tiny hole in my ear). For me, everything always came back normal, or 'within normal ranges'..but I do seem to have fluid build up in my one ear from time to time. I've been having more vertigo lately and my neurologist said he thinks it could be inner ear related..My mom asked him if that was it, wouldn't something have shown up in all the testing I've had done..and all he had to say was, 'You would think so,' lol. So I have no idea..I was diagnosed with having a pseudotumor which I think can cause vertigo..It's hard to tell what is causing what with me though.. This is an interesting topic though. I was going to make a post about ear problems myself, so I'm curious to see more replies.

• 11 months later...
my ears are definitely involved. I had the caloric test (hot and cold air put through ears) and it showed a weakness of like 80%. So I had significant weakness, due to what? they don't know.

I will be reading these articles this weekend!

Thank you for posting this.

:)

i had a similar result and response from my ENT. severe electrochochlear abnormality and minor hearing loss in the right ear. I've also had constant ringing in my ears since onset last fall. funny that the ENT didn't recommend treatment or next steps. Ive wondered many times what the connection is but have been so focused on other issues such as BP/HR stability that I haven't focused on these ear issues.

Just to add, I did end up at a neuro-otologist after this posting last year and went through all kinds of ear testing. They didn't find anything(or so they say) regarding inner ear stuff. But, when I had the hearing test that included some weird test afterwards that measured my conductive hearing through my jawbone or something, the guy doing it said I had a weird result, but didn't elaborate. When all of these results were sent to the doctor, he didn't mention anything. I was supposed to go back for a 6 month re-check on my hearing, but I cancelled. I figure if they already told me that all that I had was some hearing loss in one ear, I don't need to go through all that again just so they can make more money.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had ear problems but they are more allergy related. I think i have similar eye problems. For me it is almost like they don't work together. not double vision exactly. I also limit my driving. My ears were checked and they are not the cause of my vertigo. I actually have really good balance when I am not dizzy!

• 11 months later...

My symptoms all seem to start with ear pain. Once it worsened and started to run down my neck the POTs/dysaut sx really took off. My worse days start with ear pain. All ear testing turned out negative. Some providers suggested I have carotodynia which inflames my vagus nerve. The ENT was my first stop once d/c'd from the hospital in Jan 2012 and he told me I was not an ENT issue but may probably have lymes. My lymes testing has been negative but my autoimmune is coming up with some positives. Ear on fire this week

I have Vestibular Dysfunction in my right ear. Was tested right after my POTS diagnosis and they did a test were I was strapped to a table and they put cool water into each ear. Left ear no problem but when water went into right ear I thought they had tilted the table and I was falling off. I screamed and grabbed the sides even though I was strapped down. Very bad reaction and dizzy for hour after test.

• 4 months later...

I used to get chronic ear infections as a child, but never had a tube or anything to treat it. I would get a lot of fluid buildup in my ears, and I think I still do when I get a lot of allergies or congestion. My doctor has also remarked that the shape inside my ear is "odd" but didn't explain that any further.

I have been dealing with vertigo for the past several months, which is new for me. My doctor recently said I had "fluid in the middle inner ear" and has me on several OTC allergy meds... Not sure if the two are related (vertigo and fluid) but the allergy meds don't seem to have made a difference.

Sue I have the exact same vertigo. I feel like I can't keep my eyes on anything. When I look at things they appear to move so I have to keep moving my eyes to look at things. It is terrible and extremely debilitating.

I have been having problems with pressure in my ears lately. Not really chronic problems. It's kindof a new symptom. Does anyone else have pressure issues. It's almost like my ears feel stopped up. Sometimes I find that POTS symptoms are so hard to describe. Does anyone else have this problem?

I get the feeling of pressure in my ears. I've checked my blood pressure a few times when I have this symptom, and it is low (below 100/60). No idea what causes this feeling.

• 3 months later...