Rebound Chair

beggiatoa

It seems that when astronauts spend too much time in space it screws up their autonomic nervous system. NASA found a simple solution to this (with they would have shared) in a piece of equipment called a rebound chair. You simply sit and bounce up and down and this repairs the ANS. I like the idea because it's TOO simple of a solution, so it has to work. And hey, it's NASA!

It costs about $500-600 so I haven't tried it but I wonder if physical therapy or rehab places or hospitals have these available to use. It would be great to find out.

http://membres.lycos.fr/chrisdel2/associat.../cheneyII3.html

Rebound exercise is probably the very best exercise to do. We like the rebound chair, made in California. It's a chair on bungee cords in a metal frame. You just bounce. [The Bounce Back Chair is available from Sun-Ray Supply, 800-437-1765.] It comes in a box, and you can have it up in a couple of hours. I think its base is about three feet square. It has been used by NASA; they use it to resuscitate astronauts who return from space very de-conditioned. Their autonomic nervous systems aren't working properly, and rebounding brings them back quite readily. [The autonomic nervous system controls such basic processes as functioning of glands, heart muscle, and the muscles of the digestive system. The up and down motion improves autonomic functioning and also improves immune function by increasing the flow of lymph fluid.] It's very easy for CFIDS patients to engage in. You can just bounce to improve autonomic nervous system functioning, or you can use your arms and legs for a little aerobic activity. [Low-level non-vigorous bouncing for 10 to 15 minutes every other day is recommended. The videotape that comes with the chair shows how less ill patients can add short periods of aerobic exercise. Rebounding is the most efficient exercise for CFIDS patients; it brings the greatest benefit with the least expenditure of energy. Those who do not have balance problems can achieve many of the same benefits from bouncing gently on a mini-trampoline.]

I bet that's going to be SO rough for the first few months, hah. Throwing up, passing out, awesome. Definitely worth it in the long run though, I'd say.

I've noticed that my new job involves more getting up and down than I'd like, but I'm getting a little better at keeping blood in my head as time goes on. I guess that works on the same principle.

ummm wow! has anyone tried this?

I wonder if this is applied early on in POTS, whether it would be benifical?

I have a big bouncy fitness ball and a mini trampoline....feel like giving it a shot now but am feeling dizzy and that may make it worse!

ill give it a go tomorrow!

Yes! I got my first victim! lol

Let us know...it might take sometime for you to feel the effects.

It would be interesting to see this researched on POTS - I think the mechanism in our bodies may be different than what is going on with the astronauts. When some of us have nerve damage or low blood volume causing our POTS, it might be harder to correct.

And if it's just a matter of getting lymphatic fluid moving, maybe something like stretching or yoga would also do the trick? Just thinking that all that bouncing would make me nauseous! But if anyone tries it, I'd love to hear about it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

anna 22 did you try the mini trampoline?

Since I am also willing to try anything that doesn't involve drugs I got the mini trampoline. I've tried it a few times and it feels good, sometimes I don't bounce I just walk in place just to get myself moving. I don't feel going for a walk alone and since most of the times I don't have anyone to go with me this is a substitute for that. It is still too early to tell if that makes any difference, but I don't think that it will do any damage. Rebounding is considered one of the most perfect forms of exercise so I figured why not :)

So this probably wouldn't work if the cause is autoimmune? I will get an exercise ball, and try anyways. The worse that can happen (I hope) is it won't work. Do you just bounce up and down? My world usually looks like it's bouncing anyways. Maybe it will look normal this way! :)

Please keep in mind that astronauts are very very healthy to begin with and their POTS is transitory from being in space, before you spend lots of money. I suppose it could help, but i imagine it would be very temporary since the causes are very different. I guess i sound like debbie downer here, sorry.

My pcp did offer to shoot me into space to see if someone who had it all the time would be improved by doing the opposite...LOL morgan

I just wanted to second Morgan's comments about astronauts.

You have to have an AMAZING ANS to 'become space friendly'...so a temporary problem is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than those of us with chronic problems.

That said, in 1999 or so, somebody posted at NDRF that a bouncing chair rebounder could help...adults and kids' with this issue. It was like a bouncy chair for babies only for adults and was expensive back then...had to put it in a doorway....

It' could help some, and might POSSIBLY even 'fix' a rare case, but if there were an easy cure as this, there would be more articles on said subject.

A mini tramp might help but only if you got one with the high handle bars to hold on to for balance....so it's complicated but I don't like seeing "simple cures" for newbies.

Don't want to kill anybody's hope but do your HOMEWORK.

And remember, we share SYMPTOMS but differing causes..so it might help some people and worsen others.

Hope this helps more than it confuses.

I don't want to have to come back and UNCONFUSE people.

:)

• 1 month later...

Hello All~

I just came back from appointments/tests with the autonomic nervous system tests at Mayo, Rochester. Dr. Goodman told me that the more we can exercise, especially our lower bodies and abs, the better we'll feel in the long run. He told me not to go to a wheelchair unless absolutely necessary...ie- if you're passing out every time you get up. The bike or walking is good, and strength training your legs and abs are a great way to stop the blood from pooling in our legs. So, he thought it was better to push ourselves to do as much physical activity as possible, especially strength training. I know it wears me out, but some exercise is definitely better than none!

Thanks,

potsgirl