Flu Shot

summer

Hello,

I am pregnant and considering getting one for the first time this year. I am also traveling in an airplane over the holidays so I'm guessing it would probably be wise for me.

Lisa

Hi Summer

I've had a flu shot for the last 8 years. The shot comprises a heat treated (and therefore dead) virus so I know that it can't give me flu or anything else - it will only produce the desired immune response. However, I have sometimes felt a bit "under the weather" for about 24 hours afterwards; not a flare up of POTS, just a bit fatigued.

The jab will only give protection over the three most likely strains of flu (which is obviously forecast some time in advance to allow for mass production of the vaccine). This forecasting process happens every year to take into account new mutations and the movement of new strains around the world. So, it's not a guarantee against all strains and some years it proves to be more effective than in others, but it is helpful to a lot of people. Most of the evidence for UK shows it is effective in about 65 -70% of cases. On a personal level, there have been times at work when the only people that avoided flu were the ones who had the jab.

Due to production methods, don't have it if you are allergic to chicken or eggs.

I've never gotten one. I prefer I give my immune system a work out and some exercise, if I do get the flu. And I hate needles.

The only time I'd consider getting a vaccine is if there was a potentially epidemic deadly strain of a disease, much like the influenza outbreak in the early 1900's.

My mother and father got them a couple years ago, and I haven't seen any reaction to it. But they still got influenza (type C). They pretty much don't do it anymore.

Cam

Never got one. I did get the flu while at home with a baby and pregnant. My first two children are 14 months apart. We seem to have suffered no long term effects. My husband who did get the shot did not get the flu. But he was sick from the shot (for days) which is why I didn't get it! Can't win........ <_<

I will never get one again. A few years ago when I started getting sick my dr insisted I get a flue shot. He said the flu would be more dangerous for me than the vaccine. No so, I had a severe reaction to it & I could not get out of bed for approx 2 weeks. I don't believe I ever fully recovered.

I've had the flu vaccine every year for the last 10 years. During that time I have not contracted the flu but have had to spend time around people ill with the flu (nursed my Mum through it twice) so I will have been exposed and didn't get ill.

The injection itself does make my arm hurt/ache quite a lot for several days and I usually feel a bit headachy / feverish for 24-48 hrs. I take paracetamol (acetaminophen) which relieves the symptoms. My doctor says that I react more than most people but that it is good because it is a sign that my immune system is responding to the vaccine and producing antibodies.

On the negative side I have read a lot about vaccines this year from non-official sources and now am worried about some of the preservatives etc that are used. I haven't decided if I will get the vaccine this year but I would want to read the ingredients first. I don't think that mercury in the form of thiomersal (thimerosal) should be put into our bodies.

Flop

if you do a search you will find MANY threads on the flu shot as the topic comes up at least once every year. all in all, there doesn't seem to be a consensus as people have varied opinions. the leaning may be a bit toward the side of getting the shot - based on personal belief/ opinion/ experience & doctors' recommendations - but not by much & obviously not scientifically.

personally i always get the shot & will continue to do so. same with the pneumonia shot in recent years. unlike most here i have had life-threatening infections as well as recurrent pneumonia & other lung complications, all which add to the danger of having any strain of flu or pneumonia if i were to get it. while the shots don't eliminate the risk they reduce it, and since i've never had a reaction aside from localized discomfort (the pneumonia shot wins the award for producing the sorest arm i'm ever had!) i'll continue to get them. my physicians have all counseled, er...demanded, that i get them as well.

hope this helps,

B) melissa

Hi,

I wanted to echo searching previous posts, because there has been many of them. I don't often get a flu shot, mainly because I figure if I do I will still get another strain that particular vaccine doesn't protect against. So, I just save my money.

I do think it is useful if you are in a higher risk group or are around others that are high risk (young children, elderly, immunocompromised etc).

Been reflecting overnight about the flu vaccine - as I have had it for 10 years without any problems I'm pretty sure that I will have it again this year. Decision wasn't even questioned in previous years as I was in frequent contact with members of the public and my employers advised that all staff had the vaccine never-mind that I am in a high-risk group due to Asthma and POTS etc.

The logic of having your family immunised is to reduce the chance of them catching the flu and then exposing you to it at home. In the UK this isn't offered (but we don't directly pay for the flu vaccine, the NHS does. I suppose that family members could have it given privately and pay for it).

Flop

Thanks Everyone,

It's helpful to hear about your experiences and the decisions you have made for yourselves and your families about the flu vaccine. Sorry to have asked a question that has been asked other times. I did a search before posting but I think I forgot to put quotes around *flu shot* so I got a whole bunch of threads about the flu!

Actually, though, I think it's good for some of these questions to be repeated once in a while so that newer members have the opportunity to discuss them and share their thoughts and experiences as well.

I still have some more thinking to do before deciding whether to get the vaccine or not, but your responses have helped!

Summer

I was going to post about this, too...so glad someone has for this season! :)

I usually get the shot and haven't had major issues, maybe sore arm + headache/a bit tired for a day.

I did get an awful flu last year even though I had the shot...but I hear last year's vaccine wasn't really effective (wrong strain in States). Does anyone remember hearing about that?

• 2 weeks later...

I had my flu jab about three days ago and boy has my body decided this year it doesn't want it or like it :)

I've never had a problem with a flu jab before , but this time my arm has swollen up with huge bright red patch the size of a large orange where the injection site is , its red hot , stiff and so painful along with so itchy , it makes me want to scratch myself silly , which of course I wont do or this may lead to other problems.

What with the tumour ( which I've renamed Gilbert ) on my left shoulder/top of arm causeing me pain if I lay on this side and now my flu jab causeing pain on the other side , well so much for sleep at this time .

Would I have it again next year ??????

Probably yes , as I've had a very bad bout of flu before and its NOT fun at all setting of nearly all of my Pots issues and making me wish I hadn't been born :blink: I've also had with pneumonia a couple of times , numerous chest infections, pleurisy , bronchitis and a shadow on my lung and know all to well how easily flu can lead on to other more specific illnesses, so next year I'll be there arm ready for it again , but hopefully it will behave itself .................or should I say my body will behave itself :D .................HA, some hope Willows.

I will never get one again, people use to tell me the flu shot made them sick, I did not believe this, and one year I got one, no symptoms, but, I was healthy then, then in 2004 after being diagnosed with POTS, I knew I couldn't afford the flu already being sick, so I got the flu shot, omg, I wish I never had, I woke up that night with severe tachycardia, the room was spinning, I was vomiting, I'm thinking the flu shot may work out ok in heathy individuals, but not the sick, it worsened my dysautonomia symptoms.

Flu shot is recommended for at-risk groups, including folks with chronic conditions. I've gotten it every year since my daughter was born. Other than a little soreness, and last year, a slight temp and achey feeling for about 24 hours, I don't have any reaction. It contains egg, so if you are allergic to egg I don't think it is recommended.

Keep in mind that thousands of Americans die every year from flu or its complications. It's much more severe than a common cold.

This is what Dr. Peter Rowe at Hopkins recomends about flu shots for those of us with dysautonomia. If you've had one in the past without a problem, by all means do it again. If you've had a problem with it in the past, don't do it.