High Hr For About 15 Minutes Yesterday

MightyMouse

Hi everyone. Yesterday I wasn't feeling well, but had to go to work anyway. I was sitting in a lecture and started to feel like I just needed to lie down ASAP but couldn't. Took my hr from my "ecg accurate" watch, and it read 239. I thought it was a read error, so I took it again, 249. For the next 15 minutes I felt horrible, but didn't have any sense that my HR was that high other than feeling nauseous, and wanted to put my head on the desk. I took my HR many more times and it didn't drop below 200. After that, it returned to my normal of 80 to 100. Then I just felt exhausted and wanted to sleep.

I definitely have been getting sick with a sinus infection, and was over-tired yesterday. I got home from work at 7:00 and was asleep by 7:30--slept 14 hours. Then I slept another 4 this afternoon.I'm wondering if I should bother calling my ep cardio because the HR stayed up for more than a few seconds?

Nina

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. The strangest part, at least to me, was that I had no sense of the fast rate like pounding in my chest, or sweating. Odd. I'll fax my doctor tomorrow (today is Thanksgiving for those not in the U.S., it's a national holiday) when they're probably open again. I like the idea of a fax b/c it leaves a paper trail and ensures a return call.

Whatever was going on with me, I really was wiped out. I had another long sleep last night--bringing my total to 24 hours in 48 that I spent asleep. I feel a bit better today, but know I'm getting a sinus infection--so I'll be sure to use my rinsing system. In addition to the saline mix, I have an orange oil based product that I add one or two drops to the mixture--it's a natural antibiotic/antifungal and sometimes I've been able to completely rid myself of infection over a period of a few days. Here's to hoping it works this time.

Nina

I hope you figure out what may have caused this. I'm surprised you didn't feel it. I can tell when my HR gets over 100 bpm -- :(

My body over reacts to the high heart rates, and it takes a long time for the tachy to go away.

I would go to the Doc Nina. It may just be a short bout of SVT, but I would get it monitored to figure out what's going on.

Good luck to you.

Hang in there----------

Maxine :0)

I don't get palpitations or any specific symptoms from being really tachy if I am in sinus rhythm (My atrial tachy does give me palpitations even though it is slower than my POTS sinus tachy!!).

I had a day at work this week when I felt absolutly dreadful, I had been working long hours and thought that I was just really tired. When I got home I checked my BP and was astonished to see the HR readout of 193! I usually run 70-95 beats/min when on my meds. It probably explained why I had felt so bad at work, even though I had no idea I was tachy. I also slept for hours afterwards and am only just catching up on my sleep now.

An infection can be a sure trigger for tachy or worse POTS symptoms in most of us. I hope the saline/orange solution did the trick.

Flop

Hi everyone--just to check in again. I do have a sinus infection, hence it provoked the high heart rate. I'm still not feeling well, but am better than I was this time last week. We'll see how it goes with me working all day tomorrow!

Nina

Hi again--my watch only indicates beats per minute, not exact rythmn, ie: sinus versus other... Im guessing my blood pressure was normal for me, or a little low. My watch is the petite version of the "Mio" and says "ecg accurate". It also has a timer function so I can double check the count manually if I needed. I know other brands are out there--I picked this one b/c it doesn't use a chest strap to transmit HR info, it's just the watch, which has a metal back that picks up the HR directly from your wrist (I think to be accurate, you do have to hold your wrist about heart level--same as you do with BP.

Seriously, I didn't feel any kind of palpitation sensation at all. The only thing that let me know something was wrong was the intense urge to lay down, nausea and dizzies.

Nina

nina,

it's funny you mention that: i have that intense urge of laying down as well. when i start to feel bad, it always kicks off with this strange yawning and a very intense urge to lay down. when i tried to neglect it (yep my doctors once told me to do so :) ) i ended up in bed for quite some time. now when it starts (although i do my best to avoid this as i was told by my cardio to do so) i lay down immediately which helps me to recover faster (usually within a few hours).

i am glad that at least this "signal" works for me!!!

glad to hear that you're feeling better!

take care,

corina :)

wow hope that you are feeling better ... hr rates like that coming out of leftfield really stink.. hopefully this doesnt happen often for you