Ssdi

morgan617

awww...thanks for asking mamamorgan ;) i just woke up after crashing from the early outing & was trying to decide whether to post a quick update on the morning or hold off until i get my update from the hospital stay finished for one big update. thanks for making up my mind for me!!!

so, in short, it went as well as it could have gone considering that i had to go to the hearing. i was approved within about 30 minutes with no discussion/ interaction other than the judge asking me a handful of questions. in reading her decision she acknowledged that those who previously reviewed my file failed to appreciate the severity of the situation. she didn't even bother to call on the vocational or medical experts nor did she bother with the attorney saying anything as i suppose she realized it wasn't needed.

other than the realization that anything can happen when SSDI is concerned, my attorney & i weren't concerned about my being approved currently. we were mostly concerned that there might be an issue with the start date of my disability (aka when i had to stop working). while we knew (& had records to show) that i couldn't work then (starting in dec 2004), b/c i have declined to a point of much more severe illness/ disability we were a bit worried that compared to now i would practically be seen as "healthy" then. this concern was substantiantiated this past spring when i received a pre-hearing offer from SSDI to approve my case beginning in the spring of 2006 (essentially when i had to go on IV nutrition). but in the end the concern wasn't an issue....

the basis of my approval is/ was "autonomic dysfunction so severe that (I) am unable to perform any work".

so that's today's update. a HUGE relief to not only have the hearing behind me but to also have the favorable decision in hand. and while getting out was an event as always...i was not feeling well in the least as it was way too early for my body's liking (had to wake up before 7), & reclining wheelchair, IVs, tube feeds all had to be in tow...it was still a dramatic turnaround from exactly a month ago when i was literally fighting for my life (with very little memory of it) in ICU.

thanks for all of the thoughts & prayers...

:) melissa

Congratulations, it much be such a relief to have had the hearing go smoothly without any need for legal haggling and arguments.

I'm glad you had a judge with a fair sized amount of common sense - I guess with all the medical equipment in tow it would have been hard for them to argue that you were fit to work.

Take care,

Flop

Melissa,

That's great news!! Thanks for sharing! ;)

Hope you get some rest after your very early morning adventure!

Lisa

Melissa,

Congratulations. ;) Thanks for sharing the news. I'm glad you were approved. I was praying for you today about the whole SSDI process/hearing when I woke up. I figured you'd be approved, but as you said, anything can happen with SSDI.

Sounds like it was quite an ordeal to make it to the hearing. Getting up so early and going out is rough. I wish you didn't have to go through all of that, but I'm glad it is over and that you'll have the insurance (finally!) now.

I'm looking forward to reading an update when it's up, but until then - Rest well!

Rachel

Melissa!! Our little sunfish!! :(

soooo glad to hear that the decision was made in your favor. and even HAPPIER to know that you are doing much better than you were a whole month ago!! yay!!

I hope you keep feeling better - I've been thinking of you every day.

miss you!! keep us posted on everything.

((*mega-big-hugs*))

Chrissy

Congratulatons Melissa,I am thrilled for you! How are feeling? Love Pat

thanks for all the cheers/ support! the SSDI wasn't AS huge a crisis as it could have been since my company extended my private insurance until mid-2009, but it's still WONDERFUL to have it over & done with in a positive fashion, if only for my own sanity.

pat et al, amazingly enough (for reasons we don't entirely understand!) i'm doing pretty well at the moment (relatively speaking..."well" for me would probably still be considered horrible by many here). i really will get more of an update posted soon...sorry for the delay!

B) melissa

(ernie, as a bit of a sidenote, all of my tubes/ wires are actually pretty covered up...relatively speaking. not sure if you saw my pic on the meet the member profile, but i actually had my three things running in/out of me in the pic & without my really trying to cover things up you can't see any of them :P. for those who pay attention the tubes/ wires/ drainage bags are visable b/c they do all "run out" from under my shirt into the bag on my lap (which holds the machines), but with proper attire much less so than you'd think. though the reclining wheelchair is a bit harder to conceal!)

WAHOO CONGRATS!! very good news for you that you got approved for ssdi!.. i mean that is a no brainer! but it went thru YEA! and melissa im so happy to read that you are feeling pretty well.. that is fantastic!! Im happy for you!

love linda :PB):wub::wub::D