Amitriptyline And Compazine

Hi guys,

For the nausea the oncall doc has called in Compazine...Anyone have any experiences, good or bad with this particular med? Also for long term help my doc wants to prescribe Amitriptyline 10mg he said he has had patients respond well to this med for their nausea. Anyone have any experiences with this med as well, good or bad?

Thanks in advance.

Jacquie

Jacquie, I have taken compazine,it has helped the nausea,it does knock me out though.Have not heard of the other med. I sure hope you get some relief from nausea soon. Hugs Pat

Unfortunately, it's hard to know until you try the med yourself because we are all so different.

I initially did fine with Compazine but it no longer works for me.

Amitriptyline is Elavil (a tricyclic antidepressant) it might work however, if you have hyperadrenergic POTS it may be more reactive in you so if you decide to try it you may want to start out much smaller than 10mg. It can be given in liquid so you may want to ask for the liquid form so you can more easily titrate the dose.

Good luck.

I've never been on compazine, but I do take 10mg of amitriptyline. I take it for pain and sleep. It's supposed to help with both. I'm not sure how much it does for me. The first night I took it I slept until 3 in the afternoon! Now, after years of being on it, I'm not sure how much it helps me with sleep.....still have major problems in that area. I do take 20mg when I'm having a worse time sleeping and it helps some.

I'm not sure what it does for nausia. I don't have ongoing trouble with that. I did have a lot of nausia at one time but it was because of some meds I was on. I didn't notice the amitriptyline helping with it though. I used promethazine, for the nausia. It helped quite a bit.

for me because I use the amitriptyline for sleep, I've found the best time to take it is at dinner time.

I had compazine by IV once in the hopsital. It caused crazy restless legs and arms (!) for me. I was thrashing about until I got a big injection of benadryl. Everyone reacts differently.....just be careful with your first dose.

Hugs-

Julie

I had taken what I think was nortriptyline, and it lowered my BP so badly I couldn't stand up without blacking out. I could still hear what was going on and as soon as I was on the floor I started to feel better but It was a terrible med. I wonder if it is relataed to amitriptyline, I think they are both tricyclics? Anyway when Fouad found out my primary doc gave it to me she was furious. She said POTS patients should never take it because it has a high chance of lowering your BP and ours is so low anyway. I'd double check with your doc and ask him about the BP side effect.

Common side effects of using amitriptyline are weight loss or gain, drowsiness, nervousness, and dizziness insomnia. Some rare side effects include tinnitus, hypotension, mania, psychosis, anticholinergic effects, heart block, arrhythmias, extrapyramidal symptoms, bone marrow depression, and hepatic toxicity.

kim

Before I was diagnosed with POTS I was given Amitriptyline for nausea. It's side effects include hypotension, tachycardia and dizziness.

It made my POTS symptoms much much worse. I could barely stand up and blacked out for minutes every time I stood up.

Once I was diagnosed with POTS, the doctors took me off of it and said it should not be prescribed for people with POTS.

I was given Compazine early on and it didn't help.

Looks like I was typing this just as the above post went up, I guess mine is just ditto to the above.

jacquie

hi

i have been on both medications.. compazine in pill form for me sometimes helps sometimes does not just depends on the day.. Now if i recieve compazine thru IV it works SOOOOOOOOO much better the pill form..

I was on amitriptyline for pain issues back before i got full blown pots... Uh it caused some weight gain for me.. and thats about all i remember about it.. Im sorry that i cant remember if it actually helped or not..I went off of it.. but again dont remeber why!

alot of help i am!

hope that your feeling better and that you find something to help your nausea

hugs

oh yea.. compazine also makes me REALLY sleepy.. so be careful if you take it.. dont drive until you know how its going to affect you..