Good News!

cardiactec

hi all,

just wanted to post and say that my professor from my cardiovascular program i just graduated from offered me a teaching position at the college! YES YOURS TRULY, teaching, guess what?!?! yep, the irony, the EKG COURSE!

wooohooo. it is once a week, a two hour and 45 minutes class. i know i can do it cuz all i have to do is SIT to teach! it will give me a little more cash to live off of, so i wont have to claim disability. all i needed was a job i could do (beyond what i'm already doing 20 hours a week) without having job tasks that would physically make me feel more icky.

anyway, so i'm psyched this came my way. i have wanted to use my degree working in the electrophysiology lab but cannot due to POTS, but this is the next closest thing i can get to electrophysiology without having to suffer phsyically to do it! so i'm blessed. i'm also a little scared though cuz i have major anxiety when it comes to public speaking, being up in front of people talking! ahhh, any suggestions to combat the anxiety?

just thought i'd share some good news...

That is so great to hear!! I'm sure over time you will become more accustomed to speaking in front of the class. More so because it will be all the same faces.

Wishing you the best and that any anxiety is minimal!

Brilliant news. Congratulations!

Having taught for thirteen years, I can say that there are no "tricks" to getting over the fear of public speaking--the old "picture them in their underwear" was invented by someone who never had this fear and lived well before the PC age! As others have said, you get more confident as you go on and in fact, I have found, you probably will get to like the sound of your own voice TOO much and will have to make a conscious effort to shut up so students can participate! Seriously, the one thing my advisor in grad school told me that actually helped was to remember that I knew more than my students, I was the "expert." Even if I was assigned to teach a topic I did not have much speciality knowledge in, I still would know just enough more than my students to make me the expert. You also have to act like the expert and act like you are in charge. Teaching, I am told, is increasingly about IMAGE. (And, to a certain extent that is true--they should give us Oscars). But the key to teaching is enthusiasm. That is the one thing my students respond to and it is the one thing that conveys confidence in your material more than anything else.

You will be fine and I am sure in fact that you will be great as you have such personal knowledge of what you are talking about.

Good luck!

India

congrats congrats congrats. i'm super happy for you & your students will be lucky to have you.

:) melissa

p.s. not meaning to sidetrack back to another issue, but your mention of the disability issue reminded me of another thing to mention in that regard. for SSDI, you must be unable to work ANY type of job...especially when young and thus still "trainable". so not being able to do something standing/ more active wouldn't have been something that would have factored into a disability decision for you. short/long term disability plans through employers can be different (in terms of not being able to do YOUR job vs. ANY job). hopefully though it will be a non issue for you & your new job addition will be a great help both physically & financially for you.

Hey melissa,

yes, my biggest dilemma was trying to get a job in the medical field (cuz i wouldnt want any other job, love medicine too much) that i could physically do. and having searched for one for a year (beyond what i do now 20 hours a week, but physically cannot do MORE THAN 20 hours a week) without any luck til now was the reason why i had to at least try and get disability - cuz i couldnt find a job that i was able to physically handle in the med field. now i have this teaching position, where i can sit, and i know i wont be symptomatic. i never thought i'd have this opportunity and that is why i was going for disability, but now that i have the opportunity and know i can physically handle the 3 hour, once a week class, i'm going for it and saying SE LA VE (sp?) to the disability. not sure yet what the pay is for the position, but any $$ amount will help. plus three hours a week to teach is a walk in the park for me. my symptoms arent THAT debilitating that i cannot handle just 3 hours a week of teaching - and on top of that, the whole time sitting.

Congratulations. You will be an excellent teacher and your students will be lucky to have someone with experience.

I have done a lot of speaking and the earlier I would get to the location of the talk and see the faces of the attendees, the faster the nervousness woud go away. My worst times were arriving just before the start and walking on stage, not prepared for the room, the number of attendees or anything. It is like it takes longer to find and settle in to the groove.

MinTran helped me, too. It is Standard Process's "Mineral Tranquilizer" made of calcium lactate and organic minerals from kelp and alfalfa. Teachers call them "chill pills". And you cannot go wrong with minerals.

Great news again.

OLL