Personal News...we Have Finally Moved!

MomtoGiuliana

I just thought I'd share this personal milestone with you all....we officially moved into our new home in Berlin, MD today! My husband is a designer/builder/small scale developer--we have been working on this site/home prior to Giuliana's birth! It doesn't feel completely believable yet. :)

I love our new location...we are 2 blocks from downtown and can walk to nearly everything we need--grocery, schools, post office, shops, etc.--and I am 10 minutes closer to work--and 10 minutes closer to Assateague :)

I will put up a link to a photo--or put one on the Faces site in the coming days/weeks.

Katherine

katherine that is great news!! how wonderful to watch your home being built from the ground up!

I Hope that you new home is filled with lots of happy memories for you and your family!

katherine,

i am very happy for you and your family that you have been able to build a dream! it must be unbelievable to actually move in after years of working on it!!! congratulations. and now . . . rest and relax and enjoy it as much as you can.

just a little question: i can't remember what MD stands for???

oh and emily or katherine: what are digs???

corina

Thanks everyone. It's a little stressful right now, but it feels great to be in our new home. We are unpacking slowly b/c we are still building cabinets and shelves (unpacking over a period of weeks is ok with me!)

Suzanne and corina--MD is short for Maryland, one of the 50 states in the U.S. Maryland is on the east coast and we live minutes from Assateague Island National Seashore. corina, click here to read about Maryland in Dutch!

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland

Giuliana LOVES her new digs (corina--digs is another word for living space) -- she is particularly enjoying her own play room and the balcony over the kitchen--and being in town. We walked over to friends' for dinner last night.

It feels great to be freed of such heavy reliance on our automobiles. Yes, it is a little like "Our Town"--there are not many communities in the US like this anymore unfortunately. With the cost of fuel rising, perhaps this will change. It is very humanizing to live at this scale.

Katherine

Katherine,

I am so jealous but very happy for you and your family! I drive 22 miles to work twice a week, which is not that often, but often enough that I feel the gas price pains. I am more concerned, though, with the environmental impact and despite driving a gas-efficient Corolla, know it's not the best solution. I do my massage therapy work in an office a mile from home, so that helps. But I just wanted to say I completely know how you feel to be thrilled to be walking to the store and to the playground, and wherever else. Every bit helps.

Enjoy your new place!

Amy

Hi,

Congrats on your new home! Can't wait to see the new pics...I went to Ocean City about 2 summers ago..I didn't take too good to the hot weather B) ...We did stay in a beautiful condo right on the ocean......I was also nervouse because the hospitals seemed far away from where we were!

Anyhow, enjoy your new living quarters! :)

Jacquie

Congrats on the new move, and glad it all went well. I bet I will be reading about Berlin, MD in one of the magazines on Best Places to Live, soon.

I long for that small town feeling again. I grew up in a small town in Queens, New York,,and back then there was only two roads that went in or out of town.. We were the last to get shoveled out during storms, everyone knew everyone(though that could be tough when you were hanging out as a kid/teenager) and you could walk "uptown" to the stores etc.

Now everything is big stores, need a car to get to the shopping centers or supermarkets etc.

I always wanted to give my kids the hometown feeling. Maybe someday still.

Enjoy it!!!!

• 1 month later...

Here's a link to photos of our house...

http://prato.smugmug.com/share/d02EB6lCoFoQ6

We are so happy here--I love the house, but as much, as I already said, I love living in a real, small town. We have drastically cut our car use. We see more friends. I don't have to experience the daily stress of navigating to work and home on over-burdened roads. Instead I am getting more exercise.

We do have a growing hospital in Berlin. However, the better hospital is in Salisbury, 30 minutes away.

Katherine

What a stunningly beautiful home!! Your husband is clearly quite talented! The environment thanks you too!

Love the pics! We look forward to seeing pics of your daughter's first slumber party and puppet shows (in a couple years)! Beware---children think it's perfectly safe to throw pillows and blankets on the ground and propel themselves off the top bunk, keep an eye on the mini Evil Knievels, haha!

We wish you many decades of happiness in your new home and town!

Thanks for sharing!