feeling very anxious

Lately, I have been feeling very anxious. Not like a panic attack, but shaky, uncoordinated, very uneasy. Not at all like myself. I dont know what is going on. I havent started any new medications or anything so I dont know what is triggering this. I dont have any added stress. I feel so out of it. Its like a very nervous brain fog that wont go away. I took a xanax but that only made the brain fog worse. Helped the anxiety though. But now I cant function. It is very hard for me to even type right now. Has anyone else experienced this?

:) hi

i am so sorry you are feeling this way .i had my first episode in january and have been feeling the way you describe since that day. i describe it to my husband as "i feel stupid"its like my brain is not working at all. i know its scary.have hope .i do . i believe it will get better . it has to . good luck .i hope you feel better!!!!!!!!! sally

Sorry to hear you're feeling that way :( I was that way yesterday, but luckily feeling a bit better today ;) Hang in there, it will improve. Just know that and try and keep calm until it does. I find I get anxious when I'm stressed out and have too many things going on in my life. And, I sometimes get the anxiety right before my period comes. Wacky hormones I guess :)

thanks guys, the xanax has kicked in and I feel a little better. I just wish that there was something for the brain fog. I hate forgetting what I am doing. I go the dr next friday so hopefully I can make it until then. He was supposed to do research on provigil and other stimulant drugs to see if any of them would be right for me, so hopefully he will have some good news when I go in. I am glad to know that I am not alone. Sometimes I feel like no one knows what I am going through, but its good to know that someone does.

thanks again.

Hi April,

I know what you are going through. Even though I am doing very much better with most of my POTS symptoms right now, I still have episodes of that. I have a tiny prescription of Xanax, only ten pills. I used two when I had what I call the quivery episodes and it didn't help either time. I have it right now. My fingers quiver, I can feel something in my chest quiver, I get that I can't think fog, but my pulse and blood pressure are normal. (By the way, I love the BP cuff you recommended!) I just try not to worry about it any more. It used to freak me out. I've only had this strange symptom for about two months. It just comes and goes. I have discovered that if I am doing something with my hands, like gripping the steering wheel or a broom handle, etc, then it goes away temporarily. If I'm around people, I can clench my fists or hold my hands together to make it stop. I still can feel it inside, but at least people are looking at me. I have absolutely no idea what brings it on. Like right now, I'm sitting at my desk, finishing a bit of work without anything bothering me, and all of a sudden my hands start to quiver. It's very hard to type or do anything that requires small muscle control, but it does go away. I've had it as long as about eight hours, but that was when I was tired from adjusting to going back to work. Keep your spirits up, and I hope you'll feel better soon.

I seem to have markedly increased anxiety around the time of my period which I have never had this bad before all this POTS started even though I always had PMS...it makes taking Xanax feel like drinking a glass a water...no effect. I also sometimes feel jittery inside in the mornings after I wake up before I start med loading (.25 mg Xanax and then 25 mg of atenolol) and that usually helps...sometimes it feels like my spine is tremoring or something...too strange of a sensation to describe almost like electricity running down my spine and this is usually more pronounced around that time of the month also. I have also noticed some what I believe would be called intention tremors because it only happens with movement (vs. stopping as the one person said above). For example using my hand to apply pressure my finger will shake or sometimes my legs will shake after exertion. You are definitely not alone. The one thing I have heard of though is of people having a delayed agitation thing from antidepressants (i.e. days or weeks after starting or days or weeks after a dose adjustment). I would discuss it with your doctor. Chances are though it is the old "hormonies" making the anxiety worse though but that is just my 2 cents based on my symptoms. I hope you feel better soon. Sometimes it takes up to a week after my period before my body settles down again. Hang in there! I know it ***** and I tell ya' I never wished I was a man in my entire life but lately I'm starting to wonder why woman have to have all these hormone problems, etc. Geez the things we go through...they have such a "wash and go" lifestyle...must be nice!

Yes! I know what you mean - it's a horrible feeling! My hands sometimes shake when I feel like this and it almost feels like I've drunk waaaay too much espresso. Hang in here!

Lisa

What you described is exactly what i have been feeling as well, i wasnt sure how to describe it, but anxious brain fog almot fits it exactly. I am sorry you are going through this, and i hope you find something that works. When you do- please inform me! i hate feeling this way too. I wish you the best of luck. -Sara

at my last gastro, i had an "episode" and they kept saying not to worry, it was an easy procedure. i wasn't anxious at all. i've had this procedure about a zillion times, but i never did convince them. it went away but not before they all thought i was crazy. it happens a lot more than it used to. my muscles quiver all the time and my hands get really shaky. i hate it, cuz i'm a terrible typer to begin with ;) , but then it leaves as suddenly as it comes on. i really hate my body. morgan

• 4 years later...

I know exactly how you feel. I get the same way! Although i'm pretty convinced it's NOT anxiety.. I think its just adrenaline surges that our body produces. This is obviously just my theory. The reason I don't think it's anxitey for me is that I don't feel "panicked" or afraid that something "Bad" might happen. Just feel "revved up" I feel like I could go on for days.. in fact I had an episode of this and cleaned my entire house in an hour!!!! usually takes me a couple days to clean the whole house.. hang in there! you're not the only one dealing with this!!!! hope you feel better soon :huh:

Hi April,

This often comes with POTS, but if it continues maybe you can have your hormone levels checked. I know this can happen sometimes before my period. I don't know how old you are, but I'm approaching menopause, and I heard your symptoms can sometimes get worse with this. You are younger, and you have quite a while before you go through that---- :) . I do remember having lots of those spells in my early 20s, and this was before I was diagnosed with POTS. I was given phenobarbitol, and when I took this, it was like nothing ever happend. It worked great, but I only took it a few months. For several years after that I had milder symptoms, and didn't have to take anything. You don't have to be near menopause to have issues with your hormones.

I'm just starting to have irregular periods now, but for me my anxiety issues that come with POTS have DECREASED-- :)

I do take a half of a .50 klonpin in the evening, but sometimes forget, and this is how I know this symptom has decreased for me. Traveling or getting a virus, or any other stresses can cause problems, and it's nice to have the klonpin around.

However, the OI and fatigue can be worse then usual on some days, and klonpin doesn't help that.

Actually it's adrenaline surges that I get, but sometimes I get that real uneasy feeling before them, and some doctors like to call "anxiety". :huh: There are several different types of hormones that are identified. Doctors need to learn that there are several different things that can make our body feel this way other then primary anxiety.

For me, this is one of the most crippling and disturbing symptoms.

I hope this passes for you soon, but if it doesn't right away, I'm glad the xanax takes the edge off for you.

Maxine :0)

• 5 months later...

The trick to effectively treating this symptom I think will come when docs can work out a med that reduces anxiety and sympo-excitation without decreasing blood pressure (the problem with BBs and xanax and the reason the fog can be worse on these). Its hard to say in patients whether the sympo excitation is the problem or whether it a bodily reaction trying to regulate this circulatory disorder.

It causes anxiety and all sorts of symptoms but nothing really helpful.

ask your doctor about Try a combo maybe of your xanax with maybe midodrine?

Im new to all of this still and its nice to know its not just me! I get this too. I just sit on my hands so people dont notice :( As for the "brain fog" I have been trying to describe this to doctors and family members for months now!!!!! it is so frustrating! I keep telling them that its like I know what I want to say but cant get the words out, I feel "stupid" all of a sudden.......

I am used to being VERY active....used to working ALOT!.....heck, between my boyfriend and I we have 7 kids that keep us BUSY! I dont have time for POTS!!!!!!! :P I think this is going to drive me bonkers :)

Laura

I also get this kind of feeling the time around my period. I have only started doing this the last year or so. I feel really anxious and, although I have no idea what attention deficit really feels like, I believe that is how it must feel. I can't concentrate even to read or watch t.v. and noise gets on my nerves really bad. I feel jittery and high strung.

Hi there.

Sorry to hear you are feeling this way. I am pretty new here too but I believe that brain fog is a symptom of POTS. I think somewhere I heard that it was from the lack of blood to our brain...sometimes I can't think of words and say the wrong word...I don't worry about it......sometimes I think it is just because I feel so awful that I can't even think!!

I too get what feels something like anxiety but it is not...or it isn't until the overwheming shakiness and aderline surge (what it feels like) starts worring me. I feel like my breathing and hr are not not (well, and may times thre are not!!) .......it starts to scare me sometimes...

Thanks for the post...it is nice to identify........ :)

Erika

i feel really bad for you, i think i know what you mean.

a couple of things come to my mind. i have to take ritalin, as I was dx with ADD years ago. i stopped it a few years ago after my heart suddenly went crazy.

after being bed bound after being laid up with a sprain ankle, then breaking my foot all from my foot having pins and needles (pre-pots dx) after started bp meds the brain fog was bad and i was told it was the meds. i was reassured i would be in control as soon as i took off a few pounds and to stick it out.soons i was on many meds that i needed concerta to stay awake.

off came the weight, but if i ever ate raisins, dried fruit, sugar, candy, accidentally got caffine i was in full sugar overload and it felt like a panic attack. If i forgot to eat i got the shakes and was told to eat lots of small meals all day long. large meals make your pressure go way up. if i went to fast food restraunt and had cheese burger fries and a large shake i'd be crazy after. i had an addiction to all these things yet they all made me wired and sick.

more meds to try as i'm a challenge as my dr calls me more brain fog. then i'm told that topamax is called dopeamax by my therapist. I have to have it for the migraines and it keeps my weight normal.(as normal as one can be with all the salt) i really believe it's the blood pressure meds they take away your brain. I have to work really hard to stay with the program, so to speak.

THEN, when my bp is low I'm like a lost my ability to speak, don't even remember how old i am or what year it is. i could take my meds and 5 mins LATER NOT REMEMBER! ALSO, there some wacky drop in my bloop sugar going on. my neuro told me that pots patients have blood sugar problems, and their have been times when i've been 40 with a low bp.

I don't know what was the question you asked was now? LOL We have to laugh to keep going. these days i'm going nowhere fast. i wish you the best.

I'm starting to crumble now, sorry. can't wait for hydration tomorrow. may you all have sweet dreams tonihj