Nauseas After Waking Up...

Hi,

Has anyone noticed that their nausea is the worst when they wake up in the morning or once they wake up from a nap??? I have begun to notice this lately. Anyone have any reason as why this is the case?? :blink:

Yup- as a general rule, I can't eat before noon or so. It's not a huge deal, and it's not as bad as it has been sometimes, but I assume it's just because of having been laying down for so long, so, why our other symptoms are worse in the mornings.

Hi

My Cardiologist explained my morning sickness as a result of low blood pressure. As our blood pressure is naturally at its lowest then. I have found that some light exercise, try going up and down the stairs, helps.

He also pointed out that we need food and fluids to get blood pressure up so not eating will only make it worse. I have taken to having a small glass of fruit smootie in the morning with my usual water and it has helped.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

typically, bp is lowest upon waking, so if low bp is an issue for you, nausea can be a sign that your bp is sagging--some people do well by taking their meds while still in bed and allowing a half hour or so for meds to kick in...

for me, one cup of coffee perks up my bp enough to be semi-human.

Nina

I may be an "oddball" here. I don't fight low blood pressure as much as many of you do; I have the opposite of high blood pressure but I do also have the nausea.

In my case it seems my nausea is much worse late in the day and in the morning. I have been diagnosed with gastroparesis and I really think that is the culprit for me. I also have more nausea with hormone fluctuations.

Eating small, more frequent meals has helped slightly.

Have you tried checking your bp in the morning before you get up and out of bed to see if it is low and if so, how low? That may be a place to start to see if there is a connection. Otherwise, you may want to try making sure you eat dinner at least 4 hours prior to bedtime and don't eat anything after that and see if that helps the early morning nausea any.

The only other thought I had was some type of hypoglycemic problem. Have you been checked for all of that?

Guest sonotech

Is interesting to see the responses to this post!

I actually have nausea in the MORNING sometimes AND in the EVENING other times.

I was told when was in the hospital amd saw all of my docs (cardio and GI) that my early morning nausea was related to low BP and the evening nausea was related to the GI issues (acid reflux, delayed gastric emptying).

So, I suppose it can be BOTH!

Guest tearose

This is a real serious issue for me!

Yes, I have nausea but it is clearly improved after I drink water and shortly after that, coffee. Have you ever kept a small cup of water by your bedside and drank that before getting up? I find that sometimes, it is best to just sit with my legs hanging over the side of the bed and sipping about 6oz of water before I attempt standing.

My nausea for me, is related to my time spent horizontal and how hydrated I can get before rising.

(I have serious light sensitivity for the first 30-45 minutes after waking in the morning too! But that is for a different topic I suppose.)

I on occasion, have had to get down on the floor on all fours to keep from passing out after getting out of bed. I have learned how to manage in the morning much better and these things are rare then. It is still a problem though when I wake during the night and want to go to the bathroom to pee. I have to navigate through the path typically, holding on to furniture and I keep my four prong cane by my bedside and toilet.

Just be careful till you figure out what system works for you!

best regards, tearose

Hi,

I have had nausea for it seems like forever!! I even told one of my doctors that I felt like I was pregnant, but of course knew I wasn't....the doctor thought I was a nutcase. He wasn't interested in finding why I was feeling this way and sent me off with prescriptions......I changed doctors a few days later and found the doctor who told me it might be POTS(after months of tests and still no dx ;) )

Anyway, I find that if I can sleep in, I don't feel so sick and have an easier time eating. I don't always get to with small kids at home but I look forward to the days I can. This is one of the symptoms I've had all the time for the past 12 years.

It happens when I take a nap too....but not as bad.

Goodluck,

Amber

Jacquie,

I have nausea nearly every morning. I awaken about 5:00 am, take Zantac then go back to sleep. Usually a couple hours later

when I wake up it is better. My friend just bought me some preggie pops at The Red Giraff, they used to give them to chemo

patients for their nausea. I haven't tried one yet, it's usually easier to grab a zantac than suck on sucker. But I'm going to try

one soon. They have ginger and lavendar in them. She bought them for a pregnant girl she works with, she eats one before getting

up in the morning and hasn't vomited since.

Usually the nausea goes away once I am up and have a cup of strong coffee (which is hard to get down some mornings). I've noticed

I have alot more nausea when I have arrhythmia, I've had several rhythm strips and it's just a bunch of PAC's so they are not

concerned. Call them a "nuisance." My BP is always low in the morning to which explains the headache.

Wish I had an answer for you, Zofran works the best for me but is very expensive. If I could afford it I would take it every

morning because it really works.

Good Luck

Dawn