SSDI/SSI...

I'm not sure where I would post this, but since it has to do with POTS I think it belongs here... :) ...So I applied for SSDI/SSI Oct 21, 2005, but the state never got it until Nov. 15, 2005..whatever that means. Anyhow, whenever I call I get different answers of when they estimate I'd hear something back...One told me Feb., then I heard March, April, then May. So I called the Disability Evaluation Services and the lady was actually nice. She told me she would have my worker call me Monday (even though I have called him for the last few weeks and never got one call back!).

She did say that it looks like he is still waiting for a reply to some paper work from some of my docs...Get this though...the paper work was sent in Dec. to my doctors and still no reply from some of the doctors....Why does it take them (the doctors) soo long to return paper work..I know they are busy, but I am at my wit's end! I even asked the lady if I could just be scheduled to be seen by an SSI doctor and she said that I could talk to my worker Monday and see what's going on...

The other day I got a call from my SSDI worker and he asked how I was paying for my car and I told him I borrowed money from my sister, that I have to repay and he told me that it didn't matter if I had to repay her or not it's still considered an income...Can you believe that? So now that is going to be taken out of my pay if I get approved...and I'm sure the income tax I got back from working last year is going to be taken out..even though I used it to pay bills. Also, I have a bunch of MEDICAL bills in collection. How ridiculous is this. I have bad health, now I'm going to have bad credit. :(

Any suggestions....Feel free...Thanks for listening!

Jacquie

Don't wait for your Dr's to send in the info to Soc Sec. It will MAJORLY slow down the process..

Instead, obtain copies of all your medical records yourself and mail them to Soc Sec certified mail, return receipt requested.

As for your car, watch out! They will get you coming and going and it's so frustrating. Rather than have your sister lend you money it is better to have someone else write the check for your car payment so that it doesn't run through your accounts to appear as income. You may even want to sell your car to a family member who will allow you to drive it (if that's possible).

The other thing you may want to do is gather all your medical bills so that when it becomes an issue, you can prove how much your medical expense debt is; it may be the only way you qualify for Medicaid or SSI payments to offset any income you do have.

Hang in there!

For me, what is taking longer with mine is the stupid doctor appt which i must say is kinda stupid but who cares. i will go tolerate being poked...and tell the truth. any ideas on what papers to bring?

also as far as the car, my car which i paid for is in my parents names so that way insurance was cheaper and of course i bought the car with graduation money (cheap car but works great). anyways i have nothing in my name, besides the goats but all the bills go to dad...well most but i pay cash for the things i buy.

susie

Hi, I brought in all my medical records to my SSI office, they are waiting for forms they sent to the doctors to be filled out. As for my car it's a 2003 and I still have a loan out on it, so who knows what I can do. I am going to type up a letter saying that I have to pay my sister back everything I borrowed to pay my car payment. Who knows if that is even going to make a difference. :(

Jacquie,

You may want to contact an attorney about the car issue. Different states have different guidelines for Medicaid and other state funded programs.

At one time, I was denied food stamps even though I only had $6 and some odd change in my checking account, had no cash, no job, no financial assistance of ANY kind. I had a car that was 4 yrs old that I had a loan on and was 5 months behind in payments but because the car was valued at more than $2,000 I was denied. It was senseless because it's not like I could have sold the car and used the money to buy food; I would have been paying off the loan if I could have even gotten enough to pay that back.

An attorney can best advise you what your state laws are and what options you may have.

No money for an attorney.. :(

Dumb question, but ehy does it matter how you pay your bills, doesn't in matter is you are medcaily needing the asst. So what are you to do if you own a home, and cars, and all the sudden get sick. Can the goverment tell you to sell everything in over to get SSDI? Or id there a difference between SSDI and SSI?

Is SSI and income base, and SSDI is just on dissablity?

Just asking, I don't understand everything!

Information is power in this case. First, start reading up on what the rules and regs are. Here's a link that might help you. It's our "frequently asked questions" pinned topic. Skim down to the section on "Sites with information on disability advocacy, disability law, getting through the process of applying for disability benefits".

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1954

Also, I've added a new item in that section, as many of you have suggested the "disinissues" email group on Yahoo. It's not a forum with posts like ours, rather, it's an email service--the CFIDS folks have been kind enough to organize the disinissues content on their website, so I've put both links up.

good luck!

Also, in response to the question about getting assistance regardless of income; unfortunately the system doesn't work that way. If it appears that you have any kind of income, it can effect eligibility. Like stated above by others, each state interprets the federal rules a bit differntly--and the system is very convoluted.

If you need law assistance, there are disability law services that may be able to help you for free. I know when I used to work for an autism not-for-profit, families used to use "The Disability Law Project" to get help in applying for funding for their kids with autism, and the same disability service alsow provided free workshops. You might try a google search on disability law and free assistance specific to your area (State, county, city).

Nina

Also, in response to the question about getting assistance regardless of income; unfortunately the system doesn't work that way. If it appears that you have any kind of income, it can effect eligibility. Like stated above by others, each state interprets the federal rules a bit differntly--and the system is very convoluted.

If you need law assistance, there are disability law services that may be able to help you for free. I know when I used to work for an autism not-for-profit, families used to use "The Disability Law Project" to get help in applying for funding for their kids with autism, and the same disability service alsow provided free workshops. You might try a google search on disability law and free assistance specific to your area (State, county, city).

Nina

I guess I didn't come across the right way. What I mean is I don't recevie any income what so ever. I am in the middle of the hole SSDI. What I am getting at is my bills are still being paid barley with payment plan, but we had money in saving and my husband still works but are income is cut more then 60%. Cut they count my husband wage agaist me? I thought that they couldn't. Maybe I misunderstood. I know that the amount we get will be taken in by what he make, but can they not appove me becasue my husband works??

Sorry I am confussed, I been readying stuff everywhere and I am just getting more confussed. I talked to the lady at SSDI and they are saying I will have a answer in 2-3 weeks. I am really worried now, that if income is a proble, as we have alyready gone done the income and they said I paided in enogh for SSDI, but we make to much for income for SSI. Thats way I am don't understand. I am on the understanding that is just done to medical review.

I am so confussed!

I can't answer those questions for you-like I said, it's a complicated, convoluted system. You have to get the information from the the state you live in regarding THEIR rules. Personally, I've not applied for disability benefits, so I'm only going on what I've learned from the families I've worked with over the years.

Nina

SSDI is based on work credits and not income, SSI is income based. So, just because you might have problems getting SSI because of "assets" you can still get SSDI regardless how much other money or assets you have IF you have enough work credits. Just thought I'd offer a little hope.

Carmen

Carmen is correct in this.

SSI considers all income and assets of the household essentially; it doesn't matter that your income is reduced...it only matters if the household has above a certain amount.

SSDI has different considerations.

Nina is right though, you really need local legal assistance. You may want to check with your local congressman's office and/or website and try to talk to the person in charge of constituent services and ask for help.

Thanks for the input. I am working with Tom Hanken, A US Senter of Iowa. Thats why was so confussed. I understand I can not get SSI. But after reading all the post, I got confussed about SSDI. I have more then enough work time in they said. It donw to the medical review keep your fingures crossed. I was just stating to get worried, as maybe I misunderstoond. I have all the paper work, and info from Iowa, so that why I was confussed. Plus my disablity os going there Tom Hankens office and then to SSDI then back to Mr. Hankins office to me. So I get a week letter of update where they are.

Sorry to be asking so many questions. It just been so confussing. Plus I am starting to think that eack case no matter what is diffenernt. Does that make since. I think in depends on so many things, and no one persin is the same. Sorry for getting all worried on you all.

Have a great weekend! I am off to wacth a movie with my husban and son. ( in the tv room! for me if I feel go enogh to sit there its like going to a movie! :D )

Talk to you all later!

Amy

Please sign up for the disinissues email based site!!

I have recommended them SO OFTEN, I have had to disclaim, I get no kickbacks from them :D

Also be aware it is STRICTLY a disability web site.

Also check thru the links and other stuff listed to the left of the column. If you receive a strict or even hurtful lashing from one of the mods there, think NOTHING of it...she is like that to everybody...but she is WORTH HER WEIGHT IN GOLD for the info she can help you get.

As is the ENTIRE GROUP!

I can NOT recommend them enough.

And like others said, Soc Sec Dis doesn't care what you have..its' strictly based on MEDICAL limitaions.

Now the SSI or even the "Medicare Beneficiary" program want to know about every quarter, nickel and time you have. I was on it for awhile...Helpful but if you have a care or somebody gives you $4001 dollars, it bumps you out of the "need" category...at least in Ohio.

Doesnt matter if you Soc Sec check is $150. THey STILL won't help you because a car, savings or tiny mutual fund of 4 Grand puts you in the too rich category. Insanity but not worth griping about as it won't change. B)

Thanks for providing clarification. SSI = Supplemental Security Income. It is an assistance program administered by Social Security. SSDI = Social Security Disabiltiy Insurance is an employment-based system with eligibility based on FICA contributions to the system. For younger workers, the number of quarters necessary to gain insurance coverage is less than for older workers.

Check out www.ssa.gov for further explanations and rules.

In your shoes, I applied for benefits to help me with all my medical bills and medications back in Nov. and here it is March. I do have an appointment this week and my doctors want me on disabiliity. I can't afford to take my medication, especially my midrodrine. And it helps so much. As far as the credit thing goes, mine is destroyed. I haven't been able to pay any of my bills and have no one to help with that. I just said forget it, when I get better I will worry about things like that but for now I need to take care of myself and get better. I try not to think about it but when the collection agencies are calling every day, its kinda hard not too. I do hope that I get benefits cause I won't be able to see my new pots doctor soon.

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

I am going to keep my fingers crossed that you get approved...It just gets aggravating knowing that I applied in Oct. and still haven't heard anything. :D

Jacquie