Feeling like you are Sinking?

dizzygirl

hey there folks!

I am wondering I keep experiencing this realy weird feeling while i am laying down. I will be particularly potsy feeling.. i will be laying htere and i will start to feel somewhat dizzy.. and i will at first feel like i am moving (even though I am not).. then the couch or bed will feel like it is moving.. kinda like a swaying kinda feeling..

and then I will feel like i am falling down... when I actuallity I am not..my vision gets very weird during these "spells" .. that feeling of falling or sinking.. get very intense.. and I --my vision- will get like I am just fading away.. i get some pretty colorful colors going on in the sides of my vision.. and as "I am falling or sinking".. these colors kinda fade .....

I am wondering if is a new not so fun way for my body to get before I totally pass out.. b/c during these epsiodes.. I will feel semi-conscious. not totally with it.. so that is why i am wondering if its a new crazy for of syncope on the horizon...

do i sound nuts? b/c i f I told people in the medical field that i feel like i am faling then sinking into nothingness... that it would be a straight shot to the looney bin for me!!!

any input would be greatly appreciated!

BTW.. these spells happen alot on the average of 1-5 times day...

I get the swaying, sinking feeling when I feel really bad..yea. I dont think I get the colors though cause I normally close my eyes and try to sleep thru it when it is that bad. I am definatly in a lessoned state of consciousness though...

I dont get them nearly as often though...

Hope that helps.... B)

thanks.. Um I get the colors even when my eyes are closed :( kinda freaky!...

thank you for replying.. some times I think that I am going absolutely crazy with this POTSY stuff.. and would probably feel even more "freaked out" w/ these unusual symptoms if I ddint have all of you!!

YES! This is one of my worst POTS symptoms. It happens to me when I am walking too or lying down, although I don't have this constantly anymore the way I used to. It took a lot of getting used to for me. I mentioned this to my cardio and he kept insisting it had nothing to do with POTS. I even got sent to an inner ear doctor and went through 3 months of rehab. But when the symptoms came back after the rehab, we figured outit was the POTS after all. I think it has something to do with my BP being off.

Guest Belinda

I get the same feeling when I am lying on the couch..like I am sinking into oblivion and I have no control over my arms or legs..sometimnes when I take a nap during the day it feels like when I wake up I can't get up like I am paralyzed or something..so weird and scary.

Hi, I have felt like I am sinking at times. Usually it only lasts for a few minutes. I notice that I get them when I go to sit or lay down after standing up for long periods of time. Do you think the colors you see are related to your migraines??

Hope you figure out what that is. Sounds pretty bothersome!

DizzyGirl,

I have what I call vision shifting. Everything I see shifts 90 degrees to the right. My vision is perfectly clear. It is like being in a Fun House minus the fun! My body flys to the right and I lose my balance. I landed on one of my students once. It only lasts a few seconds. Then, I get a weird feeling in my head for awhile. I also see and feel my environment shifting right to left repeatedly. My vision in clear with this also. This only happens when I am standing, but when I do my blood pressure and heart rate right after, they are fine, even though I also have a slow message to my atria. The neurologist, opthoneurologist, and cardiologist have no clue what is causing it. I do not have Vertigo. As my cardiologist says, he believes me when I say I have these weird symptoms that come and go because neurology is a crude science and they just do not know much about it! Do not feel like you are crazy! I hope this does not continue for you!

Marie

Some of the things you gals are talking about; the sx while laying down and being tired may be related to a sleep disorder. I get sleep paralysis alot and the docs just finally figured it out. I had a long sleep study that proved to be very benificial. Sometime our bodies start falling asleep before our brains do and that is a very big sx and disturbance with dysautonomia. Sometimes we get to rem sleep too fast or we wake up in rem. It is not very fun.

Thanks for posting that Lynda-

I had a sleep study as a kid where they said just that about me and REM sleep ( i went into it fast, it was broken up and I woke up when it ended? or something like that)...but they also said it was normal. Sometimes when I take a nap, and sometimes in the am, I feel drugged...Like I am not all awake yet only it is much yuckier.

Interesting...

• 10 months later...

I have not been diagnosed with dysautonomia , but have an appointment this month in Birmingham. I was shocked to see this post. Although my first symptom was really bad pvcs , the palpitations are better on the beta blockers. At first , I thought my sleep problem was from the palpitations. But now that they are under control, I realize I am having this sleep problem anyway. I feel o.k laying down and even closing my eyes. Its when i let go and I am just about asleep. I feel like I am falling or sinking in the bed .Even with my eyes closed I feel dizzy, like I am floating on water. I suddenly awake gasping for air. When I am really sleepy, although they are scary, I can fall back asleep just minutes later for the same thing to happen again. It s really scary. It is also usually when I lay down and am really, really tired. Last night it even felt like my throat was tight. It is such a strange , bizarre symptom. I described it to a new family Dr. and he just kind of smiled. I think no matter what I say, they think it is anxiety. And it is so hard to describe. It feels like I am choking or gasping for air and falling / sinking at the same time. This happens not just a little. It can go on all night . I awaken every few minutes and it is exhausting and depressing. Then I can have several days and sleep o.k. It almost seems seizure like. It is so frustrating, because I have had insomnia and been tired and unable to sleep. But when this happens I am really sleepy and its like my body just wont let me. Its also very frightening. I feel like I am dying. Let me make it clear that these are not dreams. Just as soon as I am almost asleep I suddenly jerk awake. It is very repetetive and can happen all night long.I have not even been diagnosed with anything yet, so I really dont know who to even go to about this.

ann

yeah i still get these alot.. Im going to go see a dco shortly and push for another sleep study.. im pretty certain that i have sleep paralysis or some s;leep disorder going on..b/c it hapens WAY TOO much for it to be a fluke..

like last night for instance... i had paralysis in my sleep.. and woke up in paralysised.. i vaguely remner trying to wiggle my fingers.. and i felt my pinky and it was like gumby had invaded by body or something.. then with in seconds i was out like alight again and ddint wake up till my cardio came in and woke me up at nearly 9am... some 6-7 hours laters.. i was out hard core too boy holy crud.. i hate it..

im really going to push for this doc that i will be seeing to do somethinglook into this sleep stuff b/c it bites the big one!

Get that too... Especially in the first year of POTS. An optomostrist told me that colors (especialy green and red) come from low BP. The sinking, etc. is a "crazy" feeling partly, I think for me at least, because of the disassociation from my body...like a "physical things aren't really connected to me" kind of feeling. But, I got used to it and just ignore it as much as possible. The sinking is one reason why I try to stay upright. Like, when I'm dizzy, some ppl will advise me to lay down (logical), but that will make it worse for some reason. I don't lay down unless I'm ready to go to la-la land.

• 13 years later...

I thought it was depression! What's POTS? I'm going to see the doctor on what is causing my body to have this sensation going on. Whether I'm standing lying down or sitting I have it going on constantly. My arms and back and legs hurt they thought it was sciatica or fibromyalgia. But I will go see the shrink on this one. Have done all major CT and bone scans.