DRINKING

Sue

Sunday at dinner everyone had their glass of wine, except for me, of course. I wanted to just swipe those glasses from everyone and drink every last drop of wine. It just looked so good. I was never a heavy drinker, just social. But I was told not to drink with this. I haven't touched anything in 16 years!! Do any of you drink?? Even just a glass of wine. Does it affect you and how. Just curious.

LOL Theres a little bit of wine left in my fridge, I could be tempted :)

I haven't had a drink in 5 years, and Lord knows some days I need it! :) LOL! But seriously, I'd like to hear your experiences as well. I was just a social drinker too, and it really would be great to be able to go out and have a glass of wine with dinner. I've avoided it because of the (bad) stories I've heard. It can definitely make POTS worse.

Michelle

I seem to be able to tolerate red wine the best. I can't have more than 2 glasses or I feel really awful. I seem to also be able to have vodka when it's mixed in something like juice...but I'd much rather have the wine. Most other types of alchohol bother me, cause me to get very flushed and feel weak, tired, bp drops, etc. My guess is that wine is such low alchohol content when compared with all other stuff that I'm able to tolerate it (wine runs from 12 to 15 % alchohol on avg, or 20 to 30 proof).

Because of celiac, I can't have beer or malt beverages--makes me very sick if I drink it (GI sick).

I too like a glass of wine with dinner. I stayed away from it for months until my medications/dosages were stable. I started with just half a glass of wine but I drank 16 oz. of water, first. I now have a glass once or twice a week, but I always drink extra water to compensate for the diuretic effect. I haven't noticed any problems. I think that you need to review your medictions very carefully before you try drinking again. I take Florinef, Midodrine, and Zoloft.

This message took me forever to write. I had one of those brain fogs in which I couldn't remember what I was writing or even recognise some of the words I had written. :( I really hate that symptom. :)

Hello Everyone,

I myself am very particular to a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, especially new Zealand. I also quite like the odd gin and tonic

I sip slowly, it takes me ages to drink a glass of wine, and I always accompany my glass of wine, with a very large glass of water - usually sparkling with ice and a slice.

If I don't do the water thing with the wine (I could perhaps have a small glass without the water - but would have to have glass after or before), then my POTS symptoms go out of control, with the water and the sipping slowly, glad to report no problems.

It would be interesting if the Tonic theory would help with the alcohol - does anyone drink Vodka or Gin and tonic?? I do from time to time, again not to excess and again I have never had any problems.

My Professor told me at first to cut out alcohol, apart from the odd glass, I did cut it out altogether for a while, but I enjoy a relaxing glass of wine now and then, so did some experiments, with the water and wine, extra salt during the day etc.... When I last saw him I advised him of my drinking wine with water and he was more than happy, and said this was one of the best things to do, and that as I drink so slowly and sensibly, I should not see any nasty effects.

Good luck everyone :)

When I was in college (not yet diagnosed with POTS) I can't believe how much I drank. We used to walk around with pitchers of beer all night. The room would spin and in the morning I would puke my guts out. Then I would do it all over again the next weekend. I was very good in highschool and I just felt like I was sewing my wild oats in college, going through the same ritual as everyone else. Looking back, everyone else was not puking in the morning and it probably was not very smart.

After my first child I noticed I could not have more than 2 beers without becoming terribly drowsy and then getting sick. I have no idea why I even bothered trying. The same effects with mixed drinks, only pain in my neck and back were added to the symptoms. I hate the taste of wine, so I don't yearn for that. Gradually I have cut out all alcohol and I don't miss it.

Here's the weird part...during some of my illnesses, doctors have run blood tests that showed signs of alcohol in my system. How is this even possible? I don't know if it's POTs related or not..., but my guess is if we already have weird alcohol issues in our system, then adding more alcohol to that is probably not a very good idea.

Interesting you should say about alcohol in your system during a blood test, I am convinced my mum has POTS, (she has very similar experiences to myself, yet it does not seem so developed) she hardly touches a drop, as she just doesn't like to too much - one glass of wine on special occassions is her limit - yet once she was questioned about the amount of alcohol in her blood, following a test for glandular fever.

:)

Thank you everyone for your replies!! Tomorrow is my birthday and I am going to my favorite restaurant for dinner, and along with my dinner I am going to have my first glass of wine in ALONG time. I will take advice with the big glass of water but I am going to enjoy slowly every sip.

Sue

Migraine, Louby, If my memory serves me correctly, I read somewhere that an OVERGROWTH of Candida Albicans in your gut (it normally lives in there) can mimic drunkeness. As for testing for overgrowth and treatment, I do not know anything specific, but it was ALTERNATIVE doctors that seemed to understand this concept best, not regular doctors. They use powerful anti-fungals like ketaconazole, nystatin pills to kill the excess in your gut, and you also follow a low-sugar diet, which contributes to overgrowth.

I had a glass of wine the other day for the first time in over a year at least. And I definitely can say I wont be doing that again. I have not felt so bad in a long time. The wine made me feel terrible, the next day was impossibly long and I wasn't worth much that day.

But see what works for you. And have a glass of wine for all of us how cant join you. Cheers! :)

WOW futurehope. That is some wonderful information. I printed it off right away. That way if anyone (especially the ER) ever accuses me of drinking again I can show them your information. I am on a low sugar diet. I do remember reading once about diabetics being pulled over because their breath smelled like alcohol even though they had not been drinking. Is this linked as well?

Also, I am probably on the wrong organ, but does this effect the gall bladder. At an OB ultrasound I once mistook a gallstone for my baby's head. I was supposed to have that sucker out 4 years ago but I have had mixed reviews on the results of the surgery. I guess I have several huge stones in there. They won't pass so no one is too worried right now, but some day it could explode or something. Anyway, could this overgrowth be formed by the Candida Albicans?