Changing the name of POTS

ramakentesh

You know I dont even tell people I have POTS - I use easier terms like 'low blood volume' 'orthostatic hypotension' or 'Orthostatic tachycardia' - because POTS sounds pretty weird. When I told my sister she actually laughed at its name.

Im hoping that if some recent developments are correct and they do truly work out the cause(s) of POTS that maybe they can change its names to something that sounds a little more serious or real...

But im sure others out there must agree - pots sounds pretty strange to the average Joe who has never heard of it.

Hope no one gets offended by this post... :) :)

why don't we call it RCD for a Really Crappy Disorder? its not like it doesn't fit the description, it is quite a pain in the neck. I know its not cancer, but cancer isn't crappy, its a much more serious ordeal. but POTS (or RCD :) ) has compromised the lifestyle of so many people out there, and we're all extremely upset about the fact that there is no definate cure out there.

Loads of people think I'm saying I've got POX when I tell them I've got POTS!

And some people also get it confused with POTTS syndrome, which is something to do with bones, I think....

What about STOP instead? It certainly seems to put everyone's life on hold! But equally stupid, I guess. :)

I wonder if dysautonomic tachycardia might be a better name? DT? Just like you have SVT or VT, you could have DT- it does classify as tachycardia, after all?

I guess that my feeling is that the name is actually descriptive...compared to when I would have to say Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

I don't know...most illnesses out there have long complicated names and some are way harder to pronounce thant ours!

The bottom line is that it's just a bummer we have it and have to say it to begin with!

Emily :) who is seeminly a bit cranky tonight...and should shut her mouth and go to bed.

When I meet someone I usually say that I have Dysautonomia, specifically Positional Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and Orthostatic Intolerance. It wouldn't be nice to say I have POTS, most people that work in the medical community don't know what it is, why would a friend or stranger. It would be the same thing if we went to the doctor and they were speaking with a lot of jargon that we didn't understand because we had never heard it before.

I agree that POTS sounds a bit off.. and the reaction I get is a dumbfounded look. The best reaction is when you tell someone that your are feeling "Potsy" today. I think some people think I am making a reference to the Happy Days Character named Potsy Weber. So now I say that I am feeling symptomatic to the people who know whats going on with me. But trying to explain to someone that the reason you are so slurrry and dizzy is because of POTS is pretty difficult, frustrating and sometimes dang Hilarious.

Guest Julia59

I just say I have a neurological disorder affecting the autonomic nervous system and it affects my BP---heart rate, digestion ect. Then I tell them postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome/or OI---and tell them it's part of dysautonomia----which means ANS dysfunction.

I do have a name for hyper adrengic spells-------------------(GEORGE).

Julie :0)

I just say i have orthostatic Intolerance or dysautonomia ... when i told the family about POTS they kept making jokes saying i was Potty. (Potty means crazy in UK and Aus .. im not sure if the term is used in that way in the US) :)

I agree with Emily that its much better than name Chronic fatigue syndrome. You can see people switching off and making many assumptions when you even mention the name. Well not everyone, just a fair few.

On two occasions I've gone to the emergency room in really bad shape. Sometimes increased heart rate and trouble breathing because of it. I would say "I have POTS" and I ended up being drug tested immediately. I'm not a fan of the name. Now I say dysautonomia or a heart condition. In the past I've told people about having problems with my autonomic nervous system and they have asked how I deal with anxiety. Oh well, it's given me a few laughs at least.

Yeah at the ER i was asked how I caught POTS - since it was a bone disease caused by TB - atleast they didnt make the drug assumption - although I was half way to fainting and probably looked like i was with my eyes unable to focus and feeling so light-headed - ah the memories...

As for DT - well that might make Delirium Tremens assumptions - and they way i tremble sometimes with POTS they might think im coming off a bender! :huh: