Can you BELIEVE this?

persephone

My flatmates are awesome- I dropped by antique cladagh ring in the kitchen bin yesterday and my two flatmates helped me sift right through the rubbish to get it again- we had to empty it into other black bags THREE times to get it back, but they did it- they helped me do it! I was so touched that they made that effort for me:D

BUT I've resorted to posting on a student board here about my accommodation access difficulties, asking if anyone could swap rooms with me, and LOOK at the response! (follow the link) I don't know whether to laugh or cry- Nelson in the Simpsons is quite funny, but falling out of a wheelchair isn't!

http://www.oxfordgossip.co.uk/new/showthread.php?t=3177

I'm sorry but what kind of amoral **** would openly laugh at a woman who'se fallen from her wheelchair? That made me soooooooooooo angry! What the heck is wrong with people?!?!?

Persephone, I really hope your housing situation gets resolved quickly. Your flatmates sound nice, but it still sounds intolerable.

good luck,

Lauren

Sadly, yes I can believe it. After running a forum for a couple of years now, I can believe anything. People gripe about our forum rules, but this is a prime example of why they were put into place. We've had similarly nasty people here, but because of the forum rules they didn't last long.

I'm sorry you got such a mean reply, Persephone. Is there any way you can contact the forum administrators and see if they can delete this post and block the person from posting again?

Michelle

WOW! persephone what freakin' moron!!

peopel can be so insenstitve and well mean!

I hope that you are able to ge the help that you need to switcher -roo.. to acloser dorm..

At least others that responded mentioned how much of a twat his response was ... i think those comments are seen by the majority to say more about the person who made them than who they are aimed at. I am a mod on a large forum and sometimes i let those comments slide purely because it shows others what they are really like and the majority of the time they will be put in their place by thier peers. (i like it when that happens :) )

Does the large post help you any? the one that talks about going to certain officals within the uni and your legal rights? or have you tried all those routes?

Maybe you should seek legal aid? that may force them to pay attention.

Im so sorry you are having these troubles :D .... i really am thinking of you xo

Hi there, I'm fairly new here, so I've been reading rather than posting much....but I must say that I can't believe someone can post something so mean. I'm sorry you have to go thru this and having a person laugh at you. I hope you can find a solution to your housing situation soon.....

I'm so sorry you got such a terrible response to your plea for help. :(:) It wasn't as if you made a joke about falling, either! I can't imagine what it must be like to be so insensitive and hurtful! :D

I'm happy to hear about your wonderful flatmates! :) The people you live with can help make or break a situation, so I'm glad things have worked out so well for you in that respect. They sound like real treasures! :)

Hope someone nice will post something helpful about a new living situation soon. Do you have friends in the literature department sympathetic to your cause who might be able to start asking around as well?

Keep your chin up! Sending you a hug! :)

Angela

Hi

Forget about this moron, and spend the energy on feeling good about yourself for undetaking this whole Oxford thing to begin with, despite all the hardship. What you're doing for yourself just keeps building your character, and if this idiot doesn't grow up he will never get any real, meaningful satisfaction out of life. Pretty sad.

Hope your housing situation improves quickly! You are very brave.

Ariella

My daughter Kelly is legally blind, when she was younger she had to wear a patch to control a lazy eye. One afternoon we were out to eat and two young men were laughing hysterically at her. I started to cry and went to the bathroom so my daughter wouldn't see me. When I came out they were walking out of the restaurant pretending to be blind. I lost all control and really spit out a mouthful of words I usually don't say. Coming in the door was a group of people obviously getting together after church. One of the gentlemen came up to me and hugged me telling me whatever those gentlemen had done or said to me wasn't worth me getting so upset. Not everyone in the world has a brain. He told me those who are worth being in my life will be and those not worthy will not. I remember his words now when things go bad for me. I am hoping someone worthy of being in your life will be able to help you, there are some good people left in the world.

((((((Hugs))))))))

Sue

My daughter Kelly is legally blind, when she was younger she had to wear a patch to control a lazy eye.  One afternoon we were out to eat and two young men were laughing hysterically at her.  I started to cry and went to the bathroom so my daughter wouldn't see me.  When I came out they were walking out of the restaurant pretending to be blind.  I lost all control and really spit out a mouthful of words I usually don't say.  Coming in the door was a group of people obviously getting together after church.  One of the gentlemen came up to me and hugged me telling me whatever those gentlemen had done or said to me wasn't worth me getting so upset.  Not everyone in the world has a brain.  He told me those who are worth being in my life will be and those not worthy will not.  I remember his words now when things go bad for me.  I am hoping someone worthy of being in your life will be able to help you, there are some good people left in the world.

((((((Hugs))))))))

Sue

Wow, the world is full of stupid people, but I can't believe that two grown men would be so heartless- and towards a child, too!! My goodness, I'm so sorry, Sue. It makes one appreciate the good people so much more. And lucky to have a place like this forum. :)

And Perse- do keep us up to date on how you're doing? I think you're pretty good at that, but I just hope that it works out for you- it is only too clear how important this is to you, and I can't imagine anyone who deserves the opportunity more.

pers -

sorry i'm a bit late here...i've been boggled with trying to get caught up with schoolwork, so am sure you understand. that and trying to fight through barriers at the uni to begin with...definitely not easy. i don't know if you read my post with the details, but i've had some not-so-grand experiences with the school as well so definitely feel your frustration in that regard. never mind that it takes so much energy that we need to be putting toward trying to just make it through classes.

and i am SO sorry about that rotten post. so rotten yet not much does surprise me anymore.

but all of that said, bottom line is that i wanted to encourage you go to others at school other than the disability office. that was how i eventually got a few things taken care of, or at least headed in the right direction. so if things aren't happening that need to be, at this point i'd definitely suggest going right to the top.

hang in there,

:P melissa