Dysautomia publicity color?

taylortotmom

It's early guys and I haven't had my two cups of coffee yet so bear with me. But I was thinking last night after doing a little research about how to better publicize dysautonomia. Breast cancer has pink ribbons, the American Heart Association has adopted the color red. What is our color- do we have one yet? If it is true according to another website (I question this number, though) tht one million people have non-familial dysautonomia shouldn't we have some type of "identifier". The best I could come up with was teal becaue sometimes we are a little green and sometimes a little blue. Seriously, is there any official "symbol" of dysautonomia?

Carmen

The only thing I'm familiar with that's remotely close is "CFIDS Awareness Day" (which is Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome). That's in May, and the color is blue. BUT it's not only for CFIDS, that "blue" is for all Immune Disorders (AIDS and everything else). They are all lumped together.

I would -LOVE- to have a special color ribbon for OI (you guys keep saying "dysautonomia" and that is SO hard to spell, and I have never even heard the work spoken before... I don't know how to pronounce it, help!! I am only familiar with the terms "NMH" and "OI")!!

As far as I'm aware, no, we've not a specific publicity "color". The closest thing is the navy or royal blue we have on the logo of the main site:

http://www.dinet.org/

and the same color is used on the imprinted information on the DINET aluminum bracelets.

Nina

I would -LOVE- to have a special color ribbon for OI (you guys keep saying "dysautonomia" and that is SO hard to spell, and I have never even heard the work spoken before... I don't know how to pronounce it, help!!  I am only familiar with the terms "NMH" and "OI")!!

Hey OC,

I didn't know how to pronounce dysautonomia until I heard my doctor say it. It's pronounced

"dis-otto-no-mia" (I always think "dissing an auto"when I hear it and it makes me laugh).

You guys are so funny, you made me laugh, which of course i needed to this morning cause i'm feeling pretty horrible, like a truck ran over me or something. That would be cool if we could have our own color, teal would be great.

HAHAHAHA you guys are funny!!

I ersonally like te idea of a teal stick person lying on their back...! HAHA!

however the teal color is used for Uh..sexual assault awareness..or crime victims one of the 2..

purple is used for domestic violence awareness..

a nice blue would be nice to use.. how do we go about geting an "official color" for dsyautonomia? I'd be willing to help!

Oh the word dysauotonomia.. when Dr. Grubb first told it too me I'm like what did you say? He broke the word down for me so that I could spell as well as say it!! all though at first i'd remeber the "DYS"--as dys mena bad or painful in medical terminology)...auto-- think of a car-- and onomia-- i cant remeber the refereence to that...

In publicity info. you are trying to "brand" us...so people see the Lance Armstrong Yellow bracelets and they are able to connect it. Like the Nike swoosh, stands out, and is consistent through all of their merch and publicity info.

Nine pointed out that the printed info, has a certain shade of blue/navy blue. I would suggest using the same color for everything. That way it is consistent. When you get into publicity stuff its very important to decide on the logo and colors and how it will be used in all situations. Aside from it just looking better, its easier on the company to know they always use the logo this way and the colors this way. From there the public is better able to "relate" and know that, "Oh, I saw that color blue and it has to do with people that have dysautonomia"

Another way of saying it is, making an "image" for us. Not us all passed out, etc. but for what we are and stand for.

I am very brain foggy and not sure if I am making sense, so I am going to stop not, because the thoughts don't seem to be coming out to well. I can re-explain or add to this later if you all want. I do think it is a great idea to have a specific color! The blue used on the bracelets, etc. is likely the best to stick to, since they are already out there and we couuld continue on that theme. If people are really into teal, we could use that in another way and make it work.

in theory, i am ALL FOR anything that helps in raising awareness. in terms of a specific color, though, there isn't likely to be any "normal" color that isn't already "taken" by at least one other organization.

i know that someone posted a list of lots of causes & their colors awhile back - prior to the first round of bracelets when type, etc was being discusses i think.

so while a uniform color for an organization, cause, etc. isn't a bad idea, i doubt that any color has the ability to gain a large identity in terms of dysautonomia. does that make sense? i'm really not trying to be negative here!

blue is also the color of CCFA's bracelet's (Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America) - they're like the Live Strong Bracelets but say "got guts?" pretty cool, eh? so when i wear that & my DINET bracelet i match :blink:

i REALLY like the puzzle piece logo used on our bracelets (though that's used by other organizations too...i think maybe autism?)

just thinking out loud....

:) melissa

re: the copyright issue, i'm not 100% certain about this, but i don't think that colors are an issue. it's generally the overall design, concept, phrases used, etc...

In previous posts where i have said i like the fact that people dont know about OI related stuff as it avoids preconceptions i was not trying to be overly negative. I realise we all want the right information to be sent out there to avoid false stigmas overriding the 'offical' information. I think its wonderful that you are all working together on this :blink:

I have qualifications in marketing .. while im no WIZZ (although due to OI/CFS it took me 4 years to do a 2 year course so i do feel like i have double the qualifications so am a semi wizz hehe) if you ever need help or another perspective feel free to ask! (or im offering right here hehe) :(

Its pretty much common sense but the best ideas are often the most simple and most easily recognisable.

I keep hearing the name Dr Grubb, is he or any other dr responsible for organisting DINET? ... are there any specilist who would be willing to 'back up' the cause? People seem to pay more attention when a dr is involved.

Teal was the colour of my school uniform haha. It can be a nice colour, not sure about being head to toe in it though :)

evie -

while there are docs that are supportive of DINET, it was michelle who got things going....not any doc.

dr. grubb (& other docs) generally encourage folks to be involved with support organizations & may help in certain ways at certain times (i.e. an article, reviewing medical info, etc.) but most support/info organizations tend to be initiated by patients....DINET included. (thanks michelle :blink:)

Well a big thankyou to michelle! B) (im sure alot of people have said it, but i have not previously as i was not aware, so i thought i should send a shout out to her)

Maybe we can find someone famous to help hehe. Im sure there would be at least one famous person out there who may have slight symptoms. *goes hunting*

I really appreciate everyone pondering this- I certainly don't expect anyone to take it up as a cause right now. But... mainly I was curious if there was any specific color, trademark, or logo that is associated with dysautonomia. I guess tie-dye would be our best bet since there are some many variations of us and I know I feel like a "deadhead". Thanks for all your suggestions. Okay, I have to confess something. I am going to be in a beauty pageant next weekend and I am wearing red to promote awareness of heart disease in women. This will be announced when I am on stage. I'm married and thirty-one- I haven't been on a stage since I was nineteen! And my little girl is in the same pageant so it's going to be a girly thing for us. That's really what got me thinking about dysautonomia needed some type of universal symbol (other than spots and stars!)

Carmen

Well it sounds like "blue" already has a number of causes associated with it. Mulit-color might work.

Somebody mentioned puzzle pieces- I do know that those are part of the "autism" symbol. I have a magnetic ribbon on the back of my truck- it's a blue ribbon and it has primary colored puzzle pieces inside the ribbon. It's for Autism Awareness. I have also seen the same Autism ones (puzzle pieces) but with a yellow background/ribbon, I think.

Okay about the "dysautonomia" word... I can figure out how to pronounce it and how to spell it, but I have never HEARD it said so I don't know which syllable to put the emphasis on. Is it DYSautonomia? Or dysAUtonomia or what?

Help please. :-P

rachel-

i'm not a phonetics guru, but i'd say the emphasis is on the first syllable. but not a strong one. overall pretty even through the word. confused yet? i am:-) you'd laugh if you saw me here trying to say it over & over to explain it correctly.

rachel,

On the six syllable word, Dysautonomia, the MAIN accent is actually on the Fourth syllable...the "No" part.

The last part kind of rhymes with 'ammonia' as far as it having a long O sound.

I thought of ammonia because it STINKS, and so does this illness??!!

Diss-au-toe-NO-mia if I were writing it in a flash card. Gosh, do they still use those things in this modern world?

Hope this helps more than it confuses.

P.S. Found this on dictionary online but the definition is depressing!?

Ok the cut and paste pronounciation characters didn't work?! Emphasis is on 4th syllable.

Function: noun

: a disorder of the autonomic nervous system that causes disturbances in all or some autonomic functions and may result from the course of a disease (as diabetes) or from injury or poisoning; especially

Guest Julia59

I was wondering ---how about green--------------------- :angry:

did someone say that already? I didn't look at all the posts............. :angry:

I thought the blue wording might look good on green.......

A lot of the time---we all feel a little green-------- :)

Julie :0)

HAHAHA! Like Kermit the frog!!

geez that definition of dysautonomia bites.. today my counselor looked in her "Meck or "merck" book.. and pots isnt listed in there.. she looked al through it...though Shy-drager syndrome is in there..