Flu shot?

okay, i really hope this works! i'm trying to learn to post the link to an old thread...ya know, expanding my very poor computer skills!

here's a link to last year's thread on this...you can also do a search on the topic and read more if you want. this thread is 3 pages long, so hope it helps! each person/doc really does have a very different opinion about whether to get one or not...if the link doesn't work, type in 'flu shot' in the search function and you will see this was up around october of last year...

i do not get one, upon advice of my POTS doc, but others here do...it's a tough one...

hope this helps...

emily

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtop...257&hl=flu+shot

jennifer,

NOT a problem...i just thought it might help you out to see the old posts...sometimes people don't post on something again after they've posted about it previously...

i have an uncanny memory for topic and post titles and who posted them...so i can sometimes find things in a search pretty easily (and sometimes not so easily! :P)

didn't mean for you to feel brushed off....sorry.

emily

Well I didnt get the flu shot this year and DID I ever pay for it. I started out with just a wheezing cough and then BAM i was sicker than a dog. Lasted 3 days and i ended up in ER with having dry heaves so bad that my esophogus was tearing and bleeding. I had to have 2 units of saline to rehydrate and 3 shots to sto the nausea. They gave me the strongest that they had...the one they give to chemo patients. MY ADVISE................GET THE SHOT. and it did also make the pots symptoms worse. On a good note.............today I had the best day I have had in months. Didnt get even lightheaded once !

I'd had 3 flu shots before getting POTS and I did OK with them. I was definitely worried about the reaction I'd have after getting POTS. But I know that getting the flu would be really bad for my POTS too. I read some of the earlier posts on this topic and they scared me to death, beacuse some people feel they were set back for months after getting it. But then I emailed my POTS doc, and she said that I should definitely go ahead with the shot and that they have given it to many patients. So I had my shot last Friday. I felt kinda icky and my arm hurt for a day or two, which I think is the normal reaction. But it basically went OK and I am glad I had the shot. But we are all different, and it think it's a good idea to talk to your doctor before getting the shot.

I always get a flu shot and have been for about 30 years or more. I did want to add, though, that last year I got the shot at the beginning of October, and I came down with the flu at the end of February.

I knew it was the flu by the fever and how quickly it came on. I called my doctor and was prescribed Amantidine for 5 days to help keep it from getting too bad. There is also something called Tamiflu. Either one can be used at the beginning of the illness to shorten it (hopefully).

It still took 5 days for me to get over the fever and I can honestly say that I have YET to get back to the pre-flu stamina I had before I was ill. That was 8 months ago. I just don't recover very well.

Hi this is a bit off tangent but i am supposed to get immune shots for Measles and small pox etc. I was just wondering if thats a similar thing to flu shots? is it risky for people like us?

(i have avoided them for years ... i got my rubella and i tripped right out.. it was such a strange reaction .. it was before i was ill too)

Some people have suggested getting one at a time to stop the immune system being shocked all at once.

I get quite sick if i use antibiotics ... i sets me back for about 2 months. I have no idea if these are similar or what.

jennifer-

at the advice of my docs i have gotten the flu shot for the past several years. i've never had a problem (other than a tad bit of soreness).

evie -

don't you have to get those immunizations for school? i wouldn't have been able to start a class without having mine up to date....

i don't know about rxns to them b/c i had them all many years back, but other than being something "foreign" entering the body, there's no real connection between antibiotics & immunizations...

:) melissa

Yeh i did get a whole bunch when i was about 5 years old ... but i have not had the booster shots since. (i was supposed to get them but decided not to and my schools never really botherd to check) However if i go on exchange i have to get them done, im just not sure if the ones i got as a 5 year old count or not. So if i have to get new ones i will a little scared (im always paranoid about anything setting me back as i am sure most of you can relate too, but i realise to the outside world i just sound paranoid)

I always get a flu shot -- it does make a big difference for my winter! The one year that I didn't get it, I had had every round of flu that came my way. :)

I don't get even a hint of a reaction from the injection itself; maybe a little soreness on the arm the second day, but nothing beyond that. I know far more people for whom the shot is a big help than a hinderance.

Angela