anyone watch the show "House" on fox

dawn

I love the show House. I'm going to try to find out how to contact them and see if they will do a patient with POTS. It would make everyone more aware of what we go through. How we are usually first labeled as psychiatric patients.

My sons best friend does the audio for a new show called Bones on fox. I'm going to see if he can get me a connection.

I'll keep you posted and if I get an address I'll pass it on so we can all write.

Dawn

Guest Finrussak

what a GREAT idea!!!! but more importantly find out who the show is based on and if he still practices...I live about 35 min from Princeton and still cant find the guy!!!! I have even tried searching every last hospital in the state for a "hospital diagnostician" etc...

At first I didnt like the show as it reminded me of the many (too many) a**holes in medicine but then it grew on me...even more than E.R. At least he DOES good in the end tho" which makes up for his shall we say "personality issues" hehe

Keep us posted!!!

Dawn, that is a great idea. I think anything to get POTS awareness out there is a help.

Because so many of my friends were raving about that HOUSE show, I decided to watch it. I first tried watching it a few weeks ago and had to quit about 5 minutes in becuase they grahically showed a heart pumping and had someone hooked up to a heart monitor that went into the solid beep with the flat line. I was absolutely horrified and could not watch any more.

So last week, I decided to try again. I thought it might have been just the subject matter of the episode I chose to watch. Same thing,--it had graphic details of someone going in a crisis. Too much for this old girl!

Michigan Jan

I didn't think that the show was based on an actual doctor?? I assumed it was fictional. I read an article on the lead actor Hugh Laurie and it didn't mention anything about him being modeled after an actual person.

http://www.fox.com/house/

BTW, for those who don't realize, Mr. Laurie hails from the UK and does a really great job of imitating an American accent.

Nina

Guest Finrussak

I think I read in a local newspaper that its based on a princeton NJ medical center ( hence the opening shots) and on a real guy!!! ( or maybe a composite of 2 Drs). Plus thats the rumor going around area Dr offices as well, but the Drs who say they "know" just smile with that " we know but wont tell" attitude.

As for the actor...I read he LIVED in U.K. but have you seen he is actually from there??? and btw the guy who plays the husband on "Still Standing" is British, accent and all...yet he does "midwestern" so well its scary!!! I saw him on an interview show and had to blink twice thinking I was hearing things!!

He's UK born ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Laurie

I've lived and worked in the Princeton area for a long time...and my spouse has worked in the area hospitals... are you sure it's not just an urban legend? We know quite a good number of staff at the hosp in Princeton and no one has ever mentioned it.

Nina

oh, and the opening shots are NOT the hosp in Princeton... which is off of Nassau st. and doesn't have the open spaces shown in the opening credits.

Nina

Edited by MightyMouse

Hi Dawn;

I love the show HOUSE. It is extremely interesting. I would love to see them do an episode on POTS. That is the boost we need. I was shocked to hear Hugh Laurie speak in a British accent. Now I notice that he speaks in a low, deep, mono-tone voice on the show, but does a good job.

Anyway, the show seem to do not well known illnesses so maybe they would do one on POTS.

KathyP :)

p.s. I really don't mind the gory stuff.

Just had to chime in, I love House too, and it is also my favorite show (I don't know why I've become obsessed with medical shows lately :ph34r: ) Another great show is on TLC or Discovery Health and is called "Mystery Diagnosis". The show gives accounts (first hand) of people who have rare or unheard of illnesses, I'm waiting for them to do one on POTS.

Perhaps someone on this site, who isn't camera shy, would want to contact "Mystery Diagnosis" so they can do a show about POTS. I know they are looking for people with interesting stories.

- Lauren

Hubby and I have watched it from day one. A couple times they have had NCS for a differential diagnosis but never pursued it. I. too am waiting for them to pursue POTS or NCS. But... I think that our condition isn't "life Threatening" enough and they can't send the patient out of the hospital cured.

i absolutely love house they've only just started showing it over here on terrestrial tv, and i love hugh laurie, it's good to see english actors who can do good accents, most of them can't manage irish! also jesse spencer who plays chase was in an aussie soap that's been on in england for years so that's possibly why they started showing it.

they should do a pots one though.

They can't do a pots one, because he can't fix it. I love the show and I love Hugh Laurie, and he's a Brit through and through.

My friend took me to my doc and I fainted away. She said I was getting very debilitated and he said he could see that. She said, we need House. He got a big frown and said I'm supposed to be the House around here (he actually is, he's called in on every difficult case in all 5 of our hospitals and the head intensivist at one) so I said, well you are sure as **** cranky enough! We all laughed, so he watches it too!!! morgan

Guest Finrussak

Hi Nina!

I was only going by my 2 visits ( the aerials looked familiar)AND the fact that a friend I know for 40 years who works for a family practice group affiliated at 2 princeton sites said she saw a notice of prospective filming/ research by TV personnel. And one of the 5 Drs she works with was one of the "cagey" ones about info. If the filming never happened; well then that would explain it...

sorry for the second hand info...I thought it was reliable!!

Finette