Is there any special disease exists for the extremely touchy people who cannot even look on too sensitive/heartbreaking images

Viktor

My problem is that my nervous systems becomes weaker and weaker every year. I remember myself 10 years ago when I could watch without any problems sensitive/heartbreaking images or videos that pops up on Facebook for example about blood, amputation, ugly diseases and staffs like that. But now even from watching this content for a few seconds my blood pressure goes high, my breathing gets worse, my muscle start twitching, hands tremors appear, cold or sweat hands... and I feel like if I watch it longer I may even die. I also cannot watch the horror movies because of that. Even a few minutes make me symptomatic. And it's all gets worse with time. The only thing that helps is to quickly look away, distract myself and try to forget it. Any stress is very dangerous for me. What's going on with me? Anyone else has something similar? How I can cure this? What kind of disease is that can be? Treatment? 

I have hyperadrenergic POTS and feel strong emotion in general can trigger similar symptoms

Watching a tense sports game, playing cards, tense or suspenseful books/tv

I attribute it to an excessive sympathetic nervous system response

All of these things should lead to some sort of response in a normal person, people like us just get an excessive response

Clonidine/beta blockers seem to help for me

In short, I think it is not a separate disease, just part of some peoples hyperadrenergic POTS (or other dysautonomia)

Edited by POTSius
Added "(or other dysautonomia)"

My daughter doesn't have hyper-POTS (that we know of, anyway!), but she's been having a really hard time with intense things.  She doesn't like graphic things of that nature, either, but she's also bothered by intense music, too much commotion (too many people talking or noises happening all at once) and sound.  Sound is a big trigger!  They all do the same thing and that is trigger her sympathetic nervous system, which leads to all of the symptoms you are referring to.  We have been trying diligently since September to get it to calm down.  She's doing a lot better, but we have been making sure that she is not triggered (everyone has their own triggers) so that her SNS has a chance to settle.  As @POTSius mentioned, beta blockers are helpful.  My daughter has to take a non-selective beta blocker, versus the cardiac selective ones.  She needs it to cross the blood-brain barrier.  Also, if you have any meds that make you more relaxed, those can help, too, if you are having a particularly bad day.  Hope you can get things to settle down soon!

Guest KiminOrlando

This is me too. I'm also triggered by loud noise. My parents can't hear very well and won't get hearing aids. They are visiting now. They do not understand how this bothers me. The tv is LOUD.

8 hours ago, DizzyGirls said:

My daughter doesn't have hyper-POTS (that we know of, anyway!), but she's been having a really hard time with intense things.  She doesn't like graphic things of that nature, either, but she's also bothered by intense music, too much commotion (too many people talking or noises happening all at once) and sound.  Sound is a big trigger!  They all do the same thing and that is trigger her sympathetic nervous system, which leads to all of the symptoms you are referring to.  We have been trying diligently since September to get it to calm down.  She's doing a lot better, but we have been making sure that she is not triggered (everyone has their own triggers) so that her SNS has a chance to settle.  As @POTSius mentioned, beta blockers are helpful.  My daughter has to take a non-selective beta blocker, versus the cardiac selective ones.  She needs it to cross the blood-brain barrier.  Also, if you have any meds that make you more relaxed, those can help, too, if you are having a particularly bad day.  Hope you can get things to settle down soon!

"My daughter has to take a non-selective beta blocker, versus the cardiac selective ones.  She needs it to cross the blood-brain barrier. " 

Hi. Which exactly beta blocker she is taking? Metoprolol, methyldopa? 

15 hours ago, Viktor said:

My problem is that my nervous systems becomes weaker and weaker every year. Anyone else has something similar? 

I have this problem and it's getting worse every year. There are fewer and fewer things I can handle watching on TV and I seem to not be able to tolerate any conflict at all in real life. I'm also very noise sensitive at times and somewhat noise sensitive always. I've always had a really good sense of smell and that too overwhelms me often now. Even something that smells good is distracting for me. 

I have hyperPOTS and I feel like my nervous system is breaking down and unable to respond appropriately less and less as time goes by.

I have no idea what helps. I just avoid the things that bother me. I don't know what else to do.

I don't understand why somebody can't discover something that just dials down our sympathetic nervous systems from inappropriate response and works all the time to do this. I understand there are drugs to basically spot treat these symptoms. I want something to correct the problem.   

I have this too. I do take an alpha blocker for hyper POTS but it doesn’t seem to stop this reaction to everything. I can’t stand repetitive sounds, repetitive movements (husband fidgeting and touching me), loud noises or quickly moving images on tv or movies. Car rides are very difficult. It’s like my brain can’t handle the information coming in so quickly. Some of it is better than when I was very bad but I still suffer once something has set my sympathetic nervous system off. 

I think it's part and parcel of dysautonomia.  I have to close my eyes travelling in a car if I'm going at motorway speed as my brain just cannot process the images.  Loud noises, bright lights, funny smells all affect me far more than the "normal" person.  I just try and avoid what affects me as much as possible and if someone drops a plate next to me and I jump a foot in the air and then have to lie down to control my HR,  I try to laugh about it.  

I have had similar occurrences; they have calmed down (knock wood, hard and loud!!) since being diagnosed with POTS and prescribed the beta blocker. One instance that I recall in particular is when we had a thunder storm that led to hail falling. The sound of the hail falling on the roof (our house is one story) startled me so much that my heart rate went way up. A few days later, we had more storms coming in and the weather people on TV were saying that more hail was coming with it. So would you believe, I actually got in my car and drove into town and went into one of those convenience-type stores they have at gas stations nowadays, and waited out the storm there because I was pretty sure I wouldn't hear any hail on the store roof and I didn't want to get startled like that again. 

In another particularly unpleasant instance, I was sitting at one of the little tables at the front of the grocery store, sipping water and reading my paper. I had just dropped off one of our dogs at the groomer's and was waiting for her to call me when he was ready. As I recall, I had had what I believe was an adrenaline surge that morning (I am not diagnosed with *hyper*-type POTS, just "POTS", but that's the type I believe I have). My newspaper has these word games I like to do; in one of them, you have to find a specific number of smaller words inside a longer word. So I'm already trying to be calm because I was jittery from the adrenaline surge; I'm daily trying not to freak out because I don't know how serious what I have is (still at that point undiagnosed and unmedicated); I open my paper to the word game page and here's the word: MORIBUND. Yeh. Right. I could feel my heart rate going up: I put on the pulse ox thing and literally watched it go up to 136 just sitting there. I threw the paper in the trash.

Guest KiminOrlando

Mine works the other way too though. You know those sappy coffee commercials where the young man surprises his parents by coming home from the military very early Christmas morning and he wakes everyone up by making coffee? They come down stairs to the smell of good coffee and their son. I cry every time. I'm starting to cry typing this.

MAKE IT STOP.

@Delta - rainstorms actually have a severe effect on my POTS, even without the hail. Barometric pressure changes cause this phenomenon, I get the Fight-or-Flight response as soon as the sky starts to darken and the leaves on the tress turn to another direction ( sign of imminent rain or wind ). 

@KiminOrlando so sorry! I know the commercial and sympathize with the urge to cry 😭 -- I am a known cry-baby and whenever I watch a movie that makes me cry I start feeling like I am having a heart attack! And even happy feelings set me off. And woe to the one that gives me a scare - I cannot calm my heart down after that! 

• 1 month later...