ethansmom

Hi guys! It's so sweet of you to be thinking about me :) I have been lurking a lot lately but not had time to post. But please don't think I don't care- I am still reading a little almost every day and trying to keep up with everyone's progress. It's just that going from one child to two is literally twice as busy!! I am holding up pretty well health-wise...although it has been a rollercoaster ride adjusting to being a family of four. I am pretty tired and really craving a break and some time alone...and a real long NAP would be nice. I think I am used to being exhausted now, I wouldn't know if I really was or not. Alex is 6 weeks old now and things are just beginning to balance out at home- the only problem I can't seem to solve is how to get more sleep, he does well at night because we are co-sleeping, but this baby does not nap during the day for more than a few minutes at a time- so I am struggling a lot getting through the afternoons and evenings especially with my nighttime sleep not being as long or as restful as I need. Any suggestions?!

April- how is your little one doing? Getting big I'm sure!! And how are you feeling this far postpartum? Are you working? I am just curious and hope you're doing great!!

Thanks again for your concern and I will try to get better about posting B)

according to my two sisters, each of whom have two children...two is exponentially more than one. It's not twice as much work...it's like ten times as much :) I have to agree, as they are usually ten times later for family gatherings.

:)B)

Nina

boy, you all are really making me want to have kids! ha! B) now i know why my mom stopped at one! i was enough of a handful i suppose...and who knew what is in store with my health...i am now 29 and she feels like she has a two year old at home to take care of with cooking and all that! aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhh!

anyway, JESS! thanks for checking in! we never think you don't care! we understand that you are busy! it is just good to 'hear' your 'voice' every once in a while and get a little update on how things are going with you and your little ones. i miss you so much on the board...amazing how much people here become part of our lives...like you, even when i can't type or don't have energy to type or time to type, i check in to see how people are doing and to follow their news. i feel like b/c i am so behind on posting that people will feel like i don't care too, but i think we are all in the same boat...lots of things we want to do and never enough steam!

take care alligator! check in when you can just to let us know you are okay...or if you need support.

i love the comments about two kids being 10x harder! eeeeeeekkkkk!!! one of my friends has 3 under the age of 2!!!! let's just say, i don't hear from her much! :)

love, em

Hi Jessica,

I'm glad to hear from you and that everything goes well!!

I've got two sons myself, who didn't sleep much during the day. As soon as the youngest one was interested in the world around him, I put him in his Maxi cosi (a baby chair in which the baby sits/lays, which can also be put in the car) and put him on the ground where his big brother was playing with his train. So they had fun together watching the trains go by and "playing" together.

Also, reading stories for the oldest one who was sitting next to me, I held the baby in my arms while reading. He calmed down by being held and sometimes fell asleep. My oldest son really felt like the big brother.

How is Ethan doing?

Well, enjoy your family Jessica, they grow up so fast,

Corina

I remember those days well. My first son never like to sleep during the day, some catnaps here and there for about 20 minutes, thought I would never have another one. The second,daughter, was 22 months later, she was better but boy oh boy, two in diapers, two with bottles, twice as nice and twice the mess and sleep, grabbed it wherever and whenever I could.

Now, when you go for 3..lol.. My third is 4 years apart from my daughter. He is a boy. I rather enjoyed the break in between and the other two were quite big helpers when he was small. He is literally sucking the life out of me, but would not trade him in for the world.

Not much advi B) ce here except grab the sleep when you can and anyone who is willing to watch the baby for you, take them up on it, even if it is for some quite time for you. Oh yeah, I hate to admit this but I would put the baby in the vibrating little seat they had, strap in, and it usually soothed them to sleep and I caught a catnap too. When you need to sleep, you do almost anything to get them to sleep.

I'm glad to hear your doing good health wise. Getting enough rest is an extreme struggle for a mom of 2. I felt it was a bigger adjustment going from 2 to 3 kids when my kids were babies. Right now my 3rd- 18mo. is WAY WAY WAY more active than my other two were at this age so I'm exhausted. He climbs on everything and gets into everything. He has no fear.

As far as suggestions maybe you could hire a "mommy's helper for 2hr. a day so you could relax or have some time for yourself". I was never able to afford one but it sure sounded like a good idea for me.

My babies also would ONLY nap in the swing. Does he like it? Mine lays back far so a baby can be in it.

Count your sheep

Dayna

Hey jess, Gabby is doing well. She is 6 months old now but she isnt gaining weight like the doctor wants her to (she is only 12lb 10oz) and she has a heart murmer so off to the cardiologist on tuesday. She is a very happy baby. She sleeps about 10 hours at night without waking up which is a godsend. I am back at work full time and back in school. It is hard but I am feeling pretty good. I am glad that you are doing well. Cant wait to see new baby pics!

April,

hope you're reading this. I forgot to add, to ask how Gabby is doing. I'm sorry that she's in trouble. I'll be thinking of you on tuesday and hope that everything turns out to be okay. From the moment we know we're pregnant we start worrying about our baby's. Best wishes for Gabby and you April!

Corina

Thanks everyone :P Alex does love his swing...he is a very demanding baby and has given us a run for our money, LOL :huh: I always thought Ethan was a real toughie- he has a very strong willed personality- but now I can see that it's been easier than I thought. All day long with the baby it's feed him, rock him, bounce him, jiggle him, sing to him, and when he finally goes to sleep after an hour or so of effort I put him in his swing- it's the only place he will nap! Then he's up again in 10-15 minutes...and his favorite time to be awake is from 1pm-3pm while Ethan is napping- Alex usually crashes out about 10 minutes before Ethan wakes up. It is insanity around here 24/7. Ethan is acting out a lot because his brother demands so much adult attention. I have also had a nasty virus for about 4 days now and have been feeling horrible, but am so exhausted that I've had some lightheaded episodes and tachycardia just from sheer fatigue and of course being sick doesn't help.

Truthfully I am feeling really down right now- I never get a moment of peace or a moment to myself, nor am I getting enough rest. I am not concerned about postpartum depression but I am concerned about my own personal health and well being in the long term. I feel like to get through this all I need is an hour to myself sometime during the day (where I am not working or doing anything for anyone but me!!) and at least 8-9 hours of sleep at night. But without either one of those, I really struggle. I guess it's like anything else you do as a parent- you muddle through and before you know it the phase has passed :)

Anyway enough of my whining!! I do love my boys and wouldn't trade them for the world.

April- I hope that Gabby's problems aren't too serious and very glad she's a happy girl!! And kudos to you for returning to work and school!! Let us know how things are going and what the doctor says about the heart murmur.

Jessica,

I thought you were living near your parents now ... are they willing to help out at all? Where is your husband? I know he probably works a lot, but so do you! 24-7!

I think you really need to ask them for help, if you haven't already. And if you have, well, then, I am out of ideas. I can definitely say I have had days like that with just one child. I would have been insane with two and am seriously rethinking having a second.

I sure hope you feel better soon and the boys mellow out a bit.

Amy

jessica-

it's good to hear from you. while i'm glad to hear that the boys are doing as well as they are, i am sorry that things are so rough for you and am actually glad to hear that you're concerned about yourself health-wise (as opposed to your not thinking that it is or may become an issue). i don't have a lot to offer in the way of suggestions but wish i both lived close & had the ability to come take care of the boys to give you some rest. have you talked to the hubby about where you are with things? i know it doesn't solve anything, but i am glad that you're realizing that you're having a rough time. have you had an honest heart-to-heart with him? i'm sure it's so hard to sit down & have a conversation with him in the midst of the boys but it's probably pretty important.

i wish i had something better to offer but i do just really really hope that you're able to somehow get some help/relief soon.

hang in there,

:-)melissa