thoughts on stem cell research?

khudsonwv

i was diagnosed with POTS last year - my husband is doing a research paper on the pros and cons of stem cell research and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the subject. It is said that with increased research it could solve the mystery of many diseases - POTS included....... any opinions would be greatly appreciated.... thanks kim

Hi Kim,

This is a very controversial subject! I know that there will be many differing views.

My opinion is this...I am all for stem cell research AS LONG AS THE STEM CELLS ARE GIVEN VOLUNTARILY from umbilical cords given at the time of birth by a birth mother, or from adults (I understand that adult stem cells are not as useful as umbilical cord cells.) I am not willing to sacrifice a life for a cure to make my life easier, better, longer, etc.

Ann

thanks for the input Ann.. his paper is researching the pros and cons of embryonic stem cells and of adult stem cell use.. and you are right - it is a very controversial topic.. it is nice to get an opinion from people who actual have an interest in the outcome of the controversy........

If the question is whether we think it will help POTS, I think I have read an article or two where leading doctor(s) said they think it could potentially benefit dysautonomia patients in a big way. I imagine that this would especially be the case for those with a genetic link. I think it may be a while before we see any treatments, though, due to limited funding.

I also support stem cell research. Since Michelle doesn't want us debating politics (and rightfully so), I will end my post here! <_<

My answer is the same as Ann's above...I'm for it but not blindly.

I'm actually surprised that there are as many responses as there are for such a controversial topic! Hope all goes well with the research...

:-)melissa

I appreciate everyones responses..... trust me i understand how delicate the issue is and i am not trying to stir up a political debate - i simply wanted some opinions on it or any new input anyone might have. My husband is in the medical field already and is trying to advance his career and sometimes his papers have to be on sensitive subjects.. i believe that if a few people hadn't pushed a few delicate buttons in the past we wouldn't be as far as we are in the medical field and our ability to survive many illnesses that would have killed us 50 yrs ago.. again I thank you for your input and look forward to any other opinions.. :)