Cleaning Products

Aimes

So, I've been going through the very slow process of spring cleaning my house. Yesterday, was the day to empty and scrub the kitchen cupboards. I was using my usual cleaning product, but this time the smell was really getting to me. I didn't have any flushing, but I was feeling dizzy and just generally un-well. Then, last night was terrible! I was having adrenaline surges, tachycardia, and burning in my stomach. The only thing that had changed from my normal routine was using this cleaning product. Is it possible my body was reacting to the cleaning product hours later? I had scrubbed cupboards in the morning. It seems that all of my severe episodes occur at night. What is that about? Any input would be appreciated. Also, any advice on good cleaning products since apparently my body no longer likes this one.

Most of my severe episodes occur in the evening and I have wondered about this as well. I do have an elevated tryptase and MCAD diagnosis, but H1's don't help so far and some make me feel worse ..so??? Keep trying to figure out if there is a pattern. Good Luck

I have MCAS, POTS and NMS. I was not sensitive to chemicals before onset but have become extremely sensitive to the point that I can't have chemicals used on the other side of the house with multiple doors closed.

About a month ago I switched to all natural cleaning products except laundry soap and w that I use sensitive skin (free of dyes). I use vinegar, lemons, olive oil and baking powder for all indoor cleaning. It is actually cheaper than buying cleaning products and works well.

Btw- sometimes I will have an immediate reaction and sometimes it is delayed.

Like Naomi I am symptomatic when exposed to any environmental fragrances or chemicals, bug spray, hair coloring, candles, etc.

Aimes,

I have used vinegar also.It works pretty good. But I also have the brand seventh generation that is in the organic/natural ailse in the stores. Maybe they wouldn't bother you. I do try to use chemicals sparingly, but I still feel like bleach does the best job with really persistent things. So if I have something really bad, I use it, but try to have the windows open. Of course, if I had really bad symptoms, I would give it up.

My symptoms are usually worse in the morning. I used to hate to go to bed, knowing I would feel worse in the morning. Now, I know that it is best to try and schedule things for early afternoon if possible. Of course, if I do something I shouldn't like to today, then I just feel bad all day.

Thanks for the advice and responses! I'm definitely going to try your suggestions for cleaning. It just baffles me how all of this can start all of a sudden. I've had POTS forever and didn't have any of these issues. Now, all of a sudden I can't stand cleaning products that I've used for 27 years! So strange! I also still can't understand why I have all of my extreme episodes at night. I dread going to sleep because I know I will wake up shaking, freezing cold, sweating, with tachycardia, head pressure, etc. etc. Maybe avoiding some of these triggers will help with all of that! Thank you all again!

I love 7th generation too. I use their dishsoap, dishwasher soap and spray cleaner - completely unscented. ALL (brand) fragrance free laundry detergent, soap is Aveeno fragrance free, deodorant is unscented, hairspray unscented etc. Thank goodness these products are so readily available nowadays. I worry about my children getting older and wanting to wear cologne or perfume - I have no idea what I'm gonna do. I wasn't always like this either Aimes. I used to wear perfume, loved scented candles, etc. had no issues whatsoever. The allergist said to just avoid chemicals and maybe the sensitivity will go away, but it's been years and no luck so far!

Smells are a problem for me - they cause flares and I'm intolerant during flares. Can't walk down the cleaning isle in a store; the dog food isle makes me sick to my stomach; the perfume department in Macy's shuts me down. All normal for me. When my girls decide to paint their nails my symptoms go bonkers. Smell intolerance can be our normal. Good luck with the cleaning.

I've actually started using All Free and Clear laundry detergent, but I don't think that's the issue as I've had the same episodes at my in-law's house and while napping on the couch. I've been doing some reading about how the body tries to naturally heal itself while you are asleep and I wonder if that has something to do with it. I need to do some more digging to see if there's any scientific validity to that but it makes sense to me!

I'm sorry to see that so many of us deal with this! These days it's really hard to avoid scents and chemicals! It's very frustrating and I truly appreciate all of the tips and suggestions! :-)

I'm sensitive to chemicals and smells too. I use vinegar for cleaning. I have a spray bottle of vinegar that I put orange peels in so it doesn't smell so bad. It works to clean just about everything. I have to be careful with certain things like laundry soap and softener, nail polish, perfume etc. since the smells make me sick, but it is not all of them strangely enough. Certain brands are tolerable. Unfortunately, my daughters love perfume so I find the few that I can tolerate and give those as christmas and birthday gifts.

I cant use chemicals either. And maby thats not bad thing, since They are bad for u anyway. I use vinegar, and that strong smell dont botter me. I also use pine sol ( i think thats corect translation) .

Prefume has always been a no no for me. Even as a child. I am sort pf dreading a dinner to morrow. My sisterinlaw smokes and used strong prefume, it makes my symtoms flare. But she seems like a very nice lady. I ust whish i could handle here smells better.

I havent tryed it my self yet, but left over coke in the toilet supposeldy a nice cleaner.

Finding skin and hair produkts are next to impossible for me. Bit i keep Trying :)

Hi everyone, I'm so sensitive to all the above. There are times I try to wear a bandanna around my nose and mouth like a makeshift mask to keep any chemicals out. I try to wear large sunglasses as much as possible too. Peroxide mixed with water cleans great in a spray bottle.

I use dryer balls and love them. That way there is no fabric softener. I save money and the clothes dry faster and are softer.

I think I'll get a steamer myself : ) both hand held and for floors. Kill germs and no chemicals. Pays for itself in no time at all.

I use all natural cleaning products and we do have the floor steamer...have had it for years and it is great. sanitizes, dries quickly!

What kind of shampoos and conditioners do any of you use? I can't be near perfumes but haven't been so particular about shampoos and maybe that would help. Also, does anyone color or highlight their hair?

Two more suggestions for people who react to chemical smells:

The Shark cleans floors with just water and it steams them so they are sanitary as well as clean.

Magic erase pads clean with just water and work better than any cleaning product I have ever used.

I too find smells make me dizzier than usual.