Autism

k&ajsmom

I have autistic traits, since I was little I have always "thought" differently than most. The process is just different. I had a hard time being social, still do and have many of the charateristics for mild functional autism. I have never been diagnosed however I remember a doctor telling me I scored high on the assessment years and years ago and was surprised I didnt have more problems when I was little. I was manically phobic beyond just being shy. I still have a physical reaction just making eye contact with people, lol, I know its silly but it just is what it is. ?? Im horrifically unorganized yet ocd with minor things. Extremely maticulous with observation yet chaotic in my own thoughts. Part of why its taken me so long to figure all this stuff out, I focus on irrelevant things sometimes. lol grr its frustrating.

I keep seeing autism mentioned on here. And I wonder what the relation is or if someone could point me to a good article so I can understand this a bit more. I would greatly appreciate it =))

Hi there

Not sure if there is a link but my son has ehlers danlos and autism. A London hospital were doing research and when I spoke to someone, they stated that there seems to be a high prevalence of autism in people who are hypermobile or vice versa. And it seems that people with EDSH can be prone to pots.

Sorry I can't be more specific but it's just a thought :)

Thx tinks,

Im just trying to leave no stone unturned lol It does seem certain conditions run together, autism and eds have been ones of I hear of alot, autism the one I couldnt figure out how it connected. I initially disregarded any possibility of eds but after some researh on it, its def. is something i should atleast have ruled out. I seem to have more characteristics than I originally thought. Thx again and take care =)

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if this topic would ever pop up on this forum. I feel like I am a expert on this topic.

I hear people asking this same question all the time, and I always give this simple response! Ask yourself if you consider your autistic traits to be disabling or not? If you dont consider them disabling, then what would you possibly want to get out of a autism label? If you consider it disabling, then you might have something to gain from a diagnoses. A autism spectrum diagnoses is only useful if you want to get treatment for the set of issues that falls under this dx.

Outside of treatment and services, a autism spectrum dx serves little purpose, since it is based on a very loose set of observed behaviors (not actual symptoms). ALL (I will repeat that ALL) people have at least some of the same behaviors that fall on the autism spectrum. The difference is that most with the autism dx have behaviors bad enough to interfer with daily functioning, and are perceived as disabling.

That being said, I have the HFA / Asperger's syndrome label, and have experienced many problems. As a kid, I had terrible trouble with social skills! I attended so called "treatment" and a social skills group, that only helped a little. I had lots of trouble with sensory stuff. Some sensory stuff and extreme emotions was so unbearable that the only way I could distract myself from it was to bite my hands. I graduated highschool without any friends and was so depressed I contemplated suicide.

Luckily I learned how to deal with things, made friends, and live a much happier life! I continue to have trouble with social stuff and executive functioning, and accept that I will always have some trouble with them.

How this fits in with all my other troubles, like fainting, constant headaches, etc, I am trying to figure out. One thing I have noticed over the years is that most people on the autism spectrum have went on to find they had some undiagnosed underlying cause that was treatable all along. One thing the medical professionals need to understand is that autism is simply a set of traits with a underlying cause, not just some mental health issue. This is slowly changing as more is learned about autism, but all to often parents are simple handed a autism dx, and there child is given the #1 treatment for autism, antipsychotics! Parents are simply told to hope for a cure, and millions are funneled into organizations like "autism speaks", that uses this money to find this so called universal cure.

Okay, I better step off my soapbox now...

I can REALLY relate to that. I have dealt with it my whole life and even when you try to appear normal it doesn't come across that way to others. Instead, you get the label anyway, which only reinforces those behaviors you are trying not to show. It's a no win!

I do remember reading that there are studies linking Mitochondrial dysfunction to Autism. Maybe that explains some of this.

I do remember reading that there are studies linking Mitochondrial dysfunction to Autism. Maybe that explains some of this.

Found a interesting study done on this (I wont pretend to understand any of this :P)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19043581

This link says that the Mitochondrial disease is known as "OXPHOS". Of importance might be the references at the end.

http://www.mitoaction.org/files/Autism-OXPHOS_1.pdf

Interesting this should come up. I'm reading a book by Temple Grandin and she talks about the sensory problems people with autism experience. She talks about hypersensitivity to smells, perfumes etc., sensitivity to loud noise, flourescent lighting, visual processing problems, sensitivity to the feel of certain fabrics, feeling bombarded by sensory overload in busy noisy environments like a mall or supermarket and feeling exhausted after being in that type of environment. I read the chapter and was like, oh my God - that's me. I don't think I have autism, but I think (for me at least) it's not the just the ANS that's affected here, but the brain as well.

Interesting this should come up. I'm reading a book by Temple Grandin and she talks about the sensory problems people with autism experience. She talks about hypersensitivity to smells, perfumes etc., sensitivity to loud noise, flourescent lighting, visual processing problems, sensitivity to the feel of certain fabrics, feeling bombarded by sensory overload in busy noisy environments like a mall or supermarket and feeling exhausted after being in that type of environment. I read the chapter and was like, oh my God - that's me. I don't think I have autism, but I think (for me at least) it's not the just the ANS that's affected here, but the brain as well.

Do a search on "sensory integration dysfunction" or "sensory processing disorder". Currently it is not officially considered a distinct diagnoses, but is considered a symptom of many different conditions.

Most people are sensory sensitive to certain sensory stimulation. Example, most normal people cover there ears to hearing nails on a chalkboard. I guess it all comes down to severity. Many people with autism are head banging and self injuring to distract themselves from the pain the sensory problems are causing. My understanding is that Temple Grandin experienced the more severe end of the sensory spectrum.

Very interesting. Ill have to check that author out. I def have sensory issues. Just chalked up to being quirky lol i literally have fits of uncontrolable movements and ticks and clenching if i touch cotton with my nails or fingertips as an example. Its oddly painful and my mom has always giggled at me for it, threatened to make me fold socks if i didnt clean my room,but its yucky how the the brain can confuse something so harmless. I have distracted myself from things like noise and stimuli ei. Conversation even with a close relative with a pain distraction, biting my cheeks when i was little till i needed stitches, ugh i still do this. Not that i may be autistic but just how i must have done these things to distract for whatever reason, even an overactive nervous system, from overstimulation. I cannot imagine how difficult for those with severe autism this must be. There is just so much we have to learn.

I've always been told it's a genetic predisposition with an environmental trigger. With the new revisions to the DSM, mild functional autism may not be enough to qualify you for a diagnosis. Sometimes occupational therapists can help you learn to cope with stimulation and sensory issues though.

However, I have EDS and severe LD. I have often thought there may be a connection between learning difficulties of all kinds and the types of issues we struggle with here. Along with autism, I have heard about many learning challenges (sensory integration issues, ADHD, LD, ect) mentioned here.

As an adult, I don't find having a diagnosis helps much. Though technically I can claim reasonable accommodations from employers, I don't tell them, Well, except for my medical accommodations, which I need on occasion :)

I agree that a diagnosis would probaly not benefit me. However if i can find clues on my pots/ncs and other issues causes, thats really my only motivation and goal. I just wanna be well again. Atleast functional, and i feel there so much going on sometimes there has to be something that has been missed to connect all the dots. I dont think this especially will lend to that "cure" but its interesting how it could possiably be connected. I find the vaccinatioon connection quite interesting.

With the new revisions to the DSM, mild functional autism may not be enough to qualify you for a diagnosis.

My opinion, I dont think the revisions are going to change anything. Add the new "social communication disorder" (basically the mildest of aspergers) and even MORE people are going to be diagnosed.

I agree that a diagnosis would probaly not benefit me. However if i can find clues on my pots/ncs and other issues causes, thats really my only motivation and goal. I just wanna be well again. Atleast functional, and i feel there so much going on sometimes there has to be something that has been missed to connect all the dots. I dont think this especially will lend to that "cure" but its interesting how it could possiably be connected.

A diagnosis could help you with sensory issues, or stuff like social skills issues. You will have a hard time finding any doctor willing to link a autism dx to anything medical though. It actually makes it harder for many people to get any sort of medical treatment. In many cases with autism/aspergers dx, the person better be prepared to PROVE something like pots to doctors, since they will now treat this person as a mental health case.

re "I find the vaccinatioon connection quite interesting."

There is no connection between vaccinations and autism. This is proven with tons of science, while the people who support vacc. as a cause dont have the science to back it up. I tend to think of autism as a symptom of a underlying condition.

They've done a ton of research... it's never been connected. Personally, I've seen some kids get better from diet changes and limiting chemical exposure, that's where I would link it. Underlying predisposition/condition, chemical environmental triggers. In some cases, not all.

I think my POTS was activated by a vaccine and my sis's OI at the same time.

I had a doctor tell me once that he had seen a child get Autism from a DPT shot. And later said that he had seen it more than once.

I'm a firm believer in not taking vaccines. I'd rather take my chances.

My dad also got Guillain Barre from a flu shot. I've seen what it can do to people.

Issie

me too Issie, I'll take my chances and wish as a mommy that I could have had more authority re: that with my son. I think it's a pharmo money scam when you look at the rates of what US forces us to vaccinate our children compared to other countries. no offense america, i still love you, just not corruption:)

I also think you can't discount what parents are reporting. Many have said their child was fine until the vaccination. I don't think this should be dismissed or ignored - a parent knows their own child best.

Are you frequent in the autism community?

My experience being active in the autism community, is that these parents are in the minority. Parents want to do the best for there child, and usually spend a endless amount of time doing there own research on the subject. As the debate shifted away from vaccinations some time ago, so did the opinion of most parents. The current trend among parents seems to be one of autism as a symptom of a underlying condition. These parents are finding doctors who are able to diagnose many of these rare conditions, and in many cases with proper medical treatment, these children make drastic improvement.

The anti-vaccine people are in the minority, but the nature of the theory seems to make these people the most compelled to spread the word, so this is the message the general population receives. The general medical community is even further behind, as they still cling to the idea that autism is only a mental health issues that can only be treated with anti-psychotics and behavioral interventions.

I am not trying to discredit the idea that autism could be caused by vaccines in some, only the idea that there is somehow a singular cause, or the idea there is solid science that proves it to be a cause.