Autism

k&ajsmom

Racer, I hope you don't think my statement was directed at you because it wasn't. I'm not saying the majority of parents are making the vaccine claim. I'm saying don't discount the ones who feel there is a link for their child. Whether it was the vaccine itself or an underlying condition/a predisposition and the vaccine triggered the condition? - I think each case should be looked at on an indivual basis and the parent's observation should not be simply dismissed. And I'm not anti-vaccine. My children are up to date with all their vaccinations, but I did choose to go a conservative route and have the vaccines more spread out. I think it was an interview with Jenny McCarthy I saw and she talked about vaccine bombardment maybe not being a good thing. Made sense to me and their Doctor agreed with that approach. The puzzle of autism seems to be as complicated as CFS, POTS, MS etc. with the research being scattered and pointing in a million different directions. I'm trying to be optimistic and hope that science will catch up with all of us soon.

I am a mother with a son diagnosed at 2 years of age with classic high functioning autism. He started showing signs (in our case) before his first set of vaccinations...... my son's father has ADD which is also on the spectrum....I feel personally in my son's case there is a genetic link ....we have tried everything from diet changes to therapies to medications.....some work and some don't....but every autistic child responds differently very much like our illness. I have also spent countless hours researching and of course there are many different theories out there about causes.....my own personal belief after reading many articles in scientific journals, etc and attending seminars of Temple Grandin and some top genome scientists ....I believe that it is a genetic/neural mutation of some sort triggered by a not yet known phenomena..... (but that is just my opinion ;).......

I think along the same lines as brethor9; I have 1 son diagnosed with high functioning autism, he showed signs from birth really, saying that he also showed signs of EDS and POTS from birth. GI issues, very strange circulation, blood pooling on the the side in which he was laid, literally would go purple on the side he was laid and white on the apposing side, so I often wander if that had something to do with his presentation of his ASD. My other two children are both under the ASD umbrella, having sensory integration issues, sever OCD, many mild autistic traits as do I, we also all have EDS, POTS!!

I am one that believes there can be a connection between vaccines and Autism, along with many other things. The chemicals that are present in many of the vaccines our children are given today have no business in our bodies. I have read countless stories about families who had perfectly healthy children and like a light switch, after a vaccine became autistic. I actually have a book on this just because it interested me. None of my kids are autistic and all are utd on their vaccines. My third son, however, did get very sick after a set of shots when he was a baby. It scared me so bad! After that I never allowed our docs office to give him more than one at a time. When my middle son was getting his 6th grade shots I did allow them to give them all at once just because he was bigger. I also have a cousin who is severely mentally handicapped due to an adverse reaction to a vaccine. No one else in my family has POTS or anything except me, however, we do believe my middle son has some signs of POTS. We are watching him very closely.

I have no idea what the right answer is, and it's always been something that has bothered me. I just pray for God to protect them in every matter.

I think vaccines could definitely add to the 'environmental load' and trigger all manor of problems in genetically susceptible individuals. I hate the use of 2,3...in one vaccinations and think they over load and trigger the wrong/altered defence mechanism, which could be detrimental in the long run in some people. My children have turned out to have some sort of mild primary immune deficiency, as they have no antibodies to rubella after the MMR vaccine plus the all 3 had natural DR. diagnosed, rubella and still no antibodies!! There is still so so much to learned about the human body I think we are just starting to understand how complex we all are!!