Inappropriate Stuff In Medical Record!!

Leigh8

I used to work in the medical field and transcribed doctors notes all the time, and it is actually very common to reference a patient in that manner, atleast with the docs I worked for. More common is " a young attractive well groomed female". I always kinda wondered about that myself...lol I have always assumed it to mean that the patient has no physical abnormalities and looks healthy in appearance but i cant speak on behalf of your doc and can understand what you feel uneasy about.

I've seen some of my cardiologist and pediatrician medical records and it's not uncommon for doctors to comment on the physical appearance of the patient. Maybe they do it so that they will have more characteristics to remember you by and to differentiate between you and their many other patients, but it's typical for docs to comment on physical appearance, energy level, general attitude and my pediatrician even commented once on me being a "bright" adolescent when he was still my doctor.

I don't think it's anything to be concerned about and don't nec think it's innapropriate, they like to get a picture of the whole person, not just your medical chart so they are treating all of you not just your symptoms.

As a nurse of over 30 years, I can tell you this is quite common. The MD is attempting to paint a picture of you as a patient. You are attractive, well groomed, and obviously care about your appearance. - Someone who is dishelved, unkept, poor hygiene, and dressed strangely speaks to a mental disorder or lack of ability to care for self. This becomes important when attempting to track down the source of an illness or pinpoint a psychological impairment - it also establishes a baseline for the patient - if you were to return to the MD office in the future and you looked markedly different, there is at least a record of how you looked at one point and somewhere along the line...things changed.....

One of my doctors said "pleasant young female". I think they are just trying to describe their impression of you for other doctors.

People have trouble telling a date the condition with which they've been diagnosed:

http://www.huffingto..._b_2195419.html

While I really believe that what we have is quite excruciating and gets you feeling close to death (and very many people might choose not to want to be with someone who has it), I think that being diagnosed as being attractive, particularly by a cardiologist is something you might wish to tell a date or put on a dating site. After all, people do respect doctors' opinions. ;)

I remember seeing once that a cardiologist wrote that I was a "pleasant young woman" (this was awhile ago! :)) That did not bother me, but then another time (when my undiagnosed POTS was quite severe and I had just given birth in the past month) this young doctor who examined me wrote in notes that I looked at later -- "appears older than stated age". That was painful to read!

Anyway I do think it is common to write these sorts of notes in the patient medical record and may be one reason doctors are hesitant to allow patients to review them fully. Not that any harm or ill intent exists, but the notes are for the doctor, not for the patient to review, per se.