Feeling totally overwhelmed with schoolwork

Hi everyone. I'm going to vent for a moment cause I just need to get it out of me. I'm already TWO WEEKS late for a paper for one of my classes--and I'm still struggling to get it done. My thoughts are so disorganized--and I am just plain disorganized--can't find what I need, where put things, saved files, put my folders and notebooks. GRRRrrrrr.

Add to this that I have another paper due tomorrow for the same class...and I'm not even close to done. It's started by I've got TONS of work to have finished by 5pm tomorrow and I don't see how it's possible.

Procrastinating didn't help either--but in all fairness to myself, I procrastinated because the task of organizing a paper just feels so out of reach. Wow, that reads as a very strange statement from a behaviorist who is accostomed to teaching in small, measured steps, but alas, behaviorist cannot treat herself--at least not this month. :(

Oh, and then I have work to do. Real work, like the job that makes it possible to go to school. My superhero juggling act has come crashing down.

Okay, rant off. Back to my nose to the grindstone...maybe it'll grind down my cranium and find a working neuron in there somewhere.

Nina

Guest tearose

Okay, so under the superhero cape is a cute, sweet and human person!!!

Think about this workload Nina, you are doing more than most anyway! Hmmm, I wonder why your blood pressure was up?

Seriously, I actually believe, based upon personal experience, that sometime our pots bodies only will work well when we have the adrenalin dump!

When I have to finally get in high gear cause there are no more tomorrows to postpone to...I sometimes produce my best work. Just have a talk with yourself... You have worked very long and hard to get to this point. You will not sabotage yourself now by not doing your personal best work.

So take out those noisy, crunchy rice snacks and grab a tall glass of water and get cracking on that work! In a few hours, brew some tea or coffee and do a few jumping jacks and get back to work!!! NO MORE EXCUSES! Just do it!

Don't worry about the mess, just dig around for the notes, the research materials, whatever, and start pulling things together...step away from the forum and do your work!!!

I'll be lurking to be sure you don't get distracted!!

You have been through more tough things than this pressure, so go to it!

best regards, tearose

Okay. I'm doing some problem solving now to get myself out of this mess. Time for plan B...

I'm calling out sick for tomorrow--that eliminates the panic that set in when I realized I was just going to be out of time unless I stay up all night.

part 1. Place call out phone call

part 2. Deep breath

part 3. Finish the smaller of the two papers to get one off the list

part 4. Work on the larger paper ...if it's not done by 4 tomorrow (when I leave for school), invent plan C!

Off to go make the call...

Guest tearose

Good plan! Glad you are able to not have to go in...you don't want to crash.

Good luck with all you have to do.

Can you postpone the paper due at four? Can you get one more day? Submit on computer later in the evening? maybe you won't need that plan C.

So I can go to sleep and not lurk and yell at you?

take care, don't burn yourself out, tearose

yes, you can go snooze my dear Tea! Thanks for the help and getting me to buck up!!!!

No, no extra time. I can't push my luck with this professor. She's already been more than accomodating.

My "call out" is actually a set of online forms--so that's done. Onward to small paper. Can't wait to cross it off my list. I'll post again if I finish it tonight. :)

Diving back into the moat....

:( Nina

Guest tearose

good, good, good,

your in a moat? I am too tired to be funny

just watch out for the alligators, keep you eye on the castle and reach the goal!

I'll check in round about nectar time...6am ish

I'm off to sleep.

I know you'll pull it together, you go Nina, tearose

nearly done with short paper... just have a few paragraphs to go, but need to sleep. Then back to my moat (not of water, but of papers!!! if you were in my livingroom, you'd understand).

Must sleep now. Nina

Guest tearose

mornin' nina! wake up those neurons! ten hours to finish paper one get paper number two done...are you awake?

I'm about to brew "the nectar of the goddess" as we call it here. Want a mugfull?

When this set of challenges is over I'm sue you'll find some great wisdom and inspiration in this situation which will serve you well in you profession!

Tomorrow, after you get a chance to catch your breath, and scoop up the moat of papers, I want to know why we humans do this to ourselves? Could it be that the pressure causes a release of chemicals that we like to feel? or help us concentrate better? or are we just prone to procrastination cause we are lazy?

Work hard now, real hard, you will better live with whatever happens then.

I'll check with you later, tearose

G'morning miss Tearose,

I'm barely awake, but already working. I'm effectively multitasking at the moment--My printer is humming along giving me hard copies of some references I need before I finish those last few paragraphs of the short paper.

Thanks for the mug of nectar, it's helping my sleepy neurons get cracking again.

Right now I'm pretty exhausted as I didn't actually fall asleep until 3am--and I got a migraine so that I wasn't lying on my sick-call. :( But, I'm still plugging along and motivated to get that darned last paper DONE, maybe early enough to get in a delicious nap??? Something to work for!

Nina

Hey, Nina!

Hope you are making progress and feeling pretty proud of yourself for what you've accomplished.

I used to think so clearly and logically, and was a very organized teacher and great multi-tasker. (Yes, Type A personality, too!) But lately my brain has been inaccessible, making motivation an unknown concept. And I can't prove to anyone that I'm not stupid - not even myself! I just want to hide from the world because I am sooooo embarrassed by how stupid I feel and act.

But the past few weeks I've been seeing a big improvement. I'm not "there" yet, but I'm on a good path. I can't tell you exactly which thing is responsible for the progress, but I'm back on the Metabolic Typing program. I have been taking amino acids and essential fatty acids for almost a month now, eating more fatty fish than before, etc., according to the plan made specifically for my body chemistry. Something is kicking in. My motivation is returning, I'm once again connecting pieces of information stored in my brain, and I don't feel like I'm going thru every day like a zombie. Woohoo!

Good luck with your papers. Let us know how they turn out!

Nina, with all you have going on, especially in the last month or so with your meds and health, I am surprised you did not cross the overwhelmed line long before yesterday. You really do amaze me. Glad that Tearose has taken you under her wing and cracked the whip to get you back on track!

Take care as you cross the finish line on that second paper...then why not call out sick tomorrow and recover a little balance before you climb the next mountain.

Hey Nina, just wanted to say good luck with your papers. I know how tough that can be.... I'm currently stressing over a presentation I'm giving in a few hours - yikes. Hopefully your papers are done as we speak and you are feeling a whole lot less stressed. Hang in there! (I keep telling myself that once school is out of the way work will be a breeze :blink: )

Pam

:blink: hey there Nina just though I'd add a though of well wishes to you, I hope that you are feeling better, and good luck on your papers!!

Linda

You can do it!! :P

You people are the BEST!

Evidence of my brainfog: I only need to have a rough draft of the short paper today. I used 4 hours of last night that could have gone toward my long paper because I couldn't correctly follow the sylabus!!!! :blink:

Last week's project was returned to me to redo because my professor though it was disorganized and wanted me to organize it (it's a notebook filled with step by step pieces in designing a instructional program). Ah. Yes. Organize the information. I wanted to yell " I WOULD IF I COULD". Darn. :P

Good note: My long paper is as done as it's going to get and I turned it in. :) Here's to hoping she give me a decent enough grade that I wont have to redo it.

Me. I'm so torqued up from adrenaline I can't relax. I see some sleeping pills in my future. I now relate to some previous posts on being exhausted but having one's mind and body still racing along against my wishes.

Thanks for all the encouragement--I did check in a few times today while I printed out drafts and was waiting for them to be done. You all helped me to keep going despite wanting desperately to just lie down, take some ambien, and rest. Now I get to do that resting part, and it wouldn't feel half as delicious if I hadn't finished my work--you all helped me get here.

Thanks for being you! Nina :)

Nina,

Congrats on getting it done! Too bad about getting your project returned, but look on the bright side, at least your prof. didn't give you a failing grade on it and he gave you the opportunity to make it better. :P

Kick up your heels and try to meditate or something to get rid of that adrenaline feeling. Here's hoping you get a good night's sleep :blink: !

Guest Julia59

Nina, Nina, Nina,

Stress is the one thing that makes me crash so bad. Please take care of yourself the best you can, but I know you don't have much of a choice sometimes. I'm glad you were able to finish---if it were me I think i would have lost my mind. You surely inspire me to keep going some days.

Everything will be fine----one step at a time. You keep hanging in there.

I'll be thinking good thoughs---------------- :lol:

Julie

I never said I haven't lost my mind! I'll let you know if I ever find it again. :) I'm starting to wind down a bit now and the exhaustion is setting in--I didn't want to go to sleep too early though==my sleep schedule is already wrecked.

I have to say that the past few days I'm going throug a "whoa is me" thing--I don't normal spend too much energy on thinking about my crummy health--but all the past few months have built up to me thinking I'm a something of a medical train wreck. I get really ticked off on when my body doesn't play along--but... the past few weeks have been insane and it's worn down my cheerful attitude a little. I'll try to think nice thoughts as I fall asleep tonight and hope that tomorrow brings a nice attitude adjusment.

Bedtime for Mousey,

Nina

:P .... Zzzzzzz :lol:

Nina

good job on getting your paper done!!!

Dont worry about the redo, it'll work out!!

best wishes to you

Linda

Thanks again everyone. No, I'm not quite back to my happy place yet. I still have a headache today, had a really tough day at work and am generally feeling very tired and disorganized in my thinking.

Today I made a point of doing nice things for others 'cause that usually makes me happier. It helps a bit.

Crashing a bit today... Nina

Guest Julia59

Nina,

When you spoke of "medical train wreck" it reminded me of a picture in my Son's girlfriend's apartment. As soon as you walk in the door---there it is, a big black and white picture of a trainwreck----and a big OOPS at the bottom.

I told my son that I wanted that picture. It's the perfect way to show how a person with dysautonomia feels. WE wouldn't have to explain anymore---just whip out a smaller copy of the train wreck picture....................... :blink:

I hope you feel like less of a train wreck soon. Hang in there---and stay on track.....no pun intended....LOL.

Julie :0)