Nausea/vomiting From Tachycardia?

imapumpkin

Has anyone else experienced intense nausea when having bad tachycardia? twice in the past week my heart's been hammering at my ribs and it's made me really nauseous, and last week I was throwing up because being upright made me really dizzy and my heart was racing. Has this happened to anyone else?

I feel like I'm getting worse. I was doing better for the second half of August and the first part of Sept but seem to be declining in energy as the weeks go by. I am resting and taking it easy and trying to go for short, easy walks for only 8-10 min on some of my better days but I can't think why it would be getting worse and worse.

I'm sorry you are getting worse, are you under more stress or could something be triggering it? When I first had my flare for 3 months or so I had extreme nausea and tachycardia, I lost 35lbs, because my nausea was so bad. I actually stopped doing everything, but I wish I would of kept walking.

I hope this passes soon for you.

Hugs

Pam

Yes, tachycardia itself can cause nausea/vomitting. However, whatever is causing the flare up in symptoms could also cause nausea. Also, a lot of people with POTS have food allergies or gastroparesis, wihch you may want to look into if your nausea persists.

Don't be discouraged because you are having a few bad weeks. The ups and downs are pretty common and it is not unusual for them to last a few weeks or months. I wouldn't assume you are getting worse unless you continue to decline over several months.

I hope you find a way to treat your symptoms and feel better soon.

I had a bad flare when I was tachy/dizzy anytime I wasn't completely flat. I was extremely nauseous and vomiting, and had very high bp. It was attributed to the hyperadrenergia because it was all the time I was upright (not within a period of time after eating, or other markers). Zofran helped stop the vomiting, but it took several weeks before I was functional and not nauseous anytime I moved.

Nausea is my most debilitating and consistent symptom. It is there with or without tachycardia. But it's definetly worse with.

micheller I had similar symptoms and it was attributed to an overactive sympathetic nervous system at night. You could also see my muscles twitching and spasming right through my skin (like restless leg syndrome times a thousand). My doc added xanax at night and it helped calm down a lot of that. My meds weren't quite doing it.

I was trying to find the article, but can't, but I read something about pooling causing nausea. I want to say it's because of blood pressing on nerves but am not sure if that's correct. This is probably why binders/stockings help it, and makes sense with increased tachy because pooling causes tachy as your body tries to compensate for the lack of blood where it needs to go.

If you can (or haven't already tried it) pumpkin I would try the hose/binder and see if they help. I would check your bp a few times when this happens as well and see what it's doing. If it's high,I would get my standing/supine cats checked if possible because you may be getting hyper symptoms. It doesn't have to get crazy high, just significantly higher than it usually is (over 10 d/s I think, though usually much more exaggerated).

Interesting side note: doc suggested the night time thing may in my case be triggered by mcad because I sleep with my bedroom window open at night and doc said pollen comes in and may trigger release of histamines. My allergies are always worse at night. I was advised to get an air purifier for my bedroom and close the window. Not sure if it has helped since they also added a ton of new meds and I am better, but it's a suggestion that's easy to try.

Yes I have twitching also. But it's more like a jerking motion. My shoulder will jerk really bad or my legs will. I've noticed a weird pattern. Some days from my hips down hurt, throbbing burning pain. Other days my nausea is just out of control mostly at night. But it's never both at the same time. I have Avitan but I haven't been taking it. Maybe I'll try it again.

I am always nauseous, I think that affects me more than anything. Some days it's just an upset stomach and some days I have to stay near a bathroom.

Yes some of my flare ups cause bad tremors, mostly affects my right side and my right leg the most.

Occasionally, yes I have experienced nausea from my tachy episodes.

I'm too familiar with the shakiness and weakness as well. All I want to do after a nasty episode is sleep...if only I could.

No consolation for anyone I guess, but at least know you are not alone in this.

So sorry to hear others are struggling like this too.

Alex

Sorry to hear your symptoms are worsening. Yeah, I get worsening nausea, at times, when the tachycardia worsenes. I'm nausous all day somedays and everyday brings at least one nausea spell. I've tried Zofran and it hasn't helped much at all. I also get loss of appetite. My doctor may move to something more powerful like Marinol in the future because it's likely to help multiple symptoms I'm having.