A Salt Room??

For those who have tried alternative therapies, anyone tried a salt room? I'm currently doing accupuncture to help with chronic headaches and fatigue, and at $100 / visit (not covered by insurance), I'm starting to look around for cheaper alternatives that might give me more bang for my buck. I'm considering massage (which would be the same price, but I think may help with circulation), and now the latest rage around me is salt rooms -- sit it them for an hour for $25. Apparently feels like spending a day at the beach. Just wondering if it might night be a good for us hypotensives b/c it might draw out fluids (same reason I try to avoid Epsom salt baths -- I want to keep all the fluid and salt in me that I can!!!). Thoughts??

My sister-in-law bought one of those lights and runs it in her house all the time. She swears it helps her asthma and headaches. She thinks they aren't having as many allergies and not getting sick as much. She got a table top - medium size one. You might just buy one - might be cheaper. Of course, you could try it out first and see if it makes a difference.

I know what you are talking about. I have a salt room in NJ near me. They say it helps with breathing just like salt mines our the salty ocean air. It's really interesting they cover the walls with salt and dump it on the floor like sand, then they use a special machine to funnel it into the air and cycle clean air into the room. On the website there were some great testimonials. Please let me know how you like it. Do you have breathing issues?

I recently ordered Saline nebulizer to try to breath, but all the article I read said it causes some broncoconstriction and the best thing is to take albuterol first so that's why I'm not sure I'll try it..

Im no expert and have never tried one, but I would think that it could cause further dehydration. Just a thought :). At $25 I guess you could try it an see how you feel afterward (maybe just dont plan anything for the next day). Let us know how it turns out if you decide to try it! ....I DO love the beach haha :)

I may give it a try, but yes, being hypotensive generally, I'm a little afraid of the dehydration. No breathing issues. I just feel like crap from the side effects of the Florinef and Klonopin, and because I can't just "stop" them, I'm looking for anything that I can utilize over the next 2-4 months while they take me off of these to improve my headaches, spacey dizziness and fatigue! I'll report back if I try it!!

I read that beta2 receptors have a lot to play in pulmonary regulation.

Albuterol (ventolin)/atrovent/spireva- acts on the beta2 receptors to dilate the smooth muscle of the lungs.

B2 receptors for those mast cell people- Inhibit histamine-release from mast cells

it also increase heart rate, which is the bad thing for us POTSies.

I always wonder if I had asthma then took albuterol and it activates my POTS flares..

Not so sure the salt acts as a B2 agonist

I've found that if I'm having a breathing issue and it is usually mast cell related - because, I don't have asthma -albuterol does help with my breathing - but, it does increase heart rate - but, the benefit is worth it to me when I feel like I'm smothering. The docs couldn't understand why it helped me when I have no asthma, but because of the beta 2 block and the connection to mast cell - that must be the reason.

Issie

I have a bright light therapy lamp (to help with regulation of cortisol and melatonin) and it has built in negative ion therapy. I have not used it in a long time, but given this discussion I think I'm going to try it again!! :)

Salt therapy (halotherapy)

Some time ago, I performed a small experiment, and set up a device to saturate the air in the bedroom with ordinary salt, in order to simulate a sea air environment. In fact, the device worked so well that the atmosphere in my bedroom seemed slightly misty due to the high salt content of the air.

The following morning, when I awoke, having slept all night in this simulated sea air, I felt very good and profoundly relaxed.

The only downside of this treatment is the fine white layer of salt that you find on all your furniture and objects in the room the next day. This is easily removed with a damp sponge, but is an annoying limitation of this treatment.

The way I created this salt-air environment is as follows. I used a cheap $20 ultrasonic humidifier, and filled this ultrasonic humidifier with around 500 ml of water, with two heaped teaspoons of pure sea salt dissolved in this water.

The way an ultrasonic humidifier works is not by evaporating or boiling water into steam, but rather by creating a fine mist of tiny microscopic spheres of water. The ultrasonic vibration plate breaks the water up in to these tiny globules. So the salt is carried in these tiny globules of water as they enter the room air. (The salt would not be carried in the room if you were boiling the water, because steam molecules cannot carry anything with them).

As these globules enter the room air, they evaporate, and so the salt dissolved in them is released as very, very fine salt particles, and this salt stays suspended in the atmosphere.

I did not think this idea would work when I first conceived it, but in fact, when I tried it, it worked very well.

One point: if you are going to do this, don't use a salt that contains silicon dioxide (silica) as the anti-caking agent. Silica is a healthy supplement to take orally, but it should not be breathed into the lungs (silicosis risk). Some salts have sodium hexacyanoferrate II as the anti-caking agent, which don't think is good for lungs either.

I used pure sea salt with no additive ingredients.

Sounds worth trying. When I'm at the beach (3hrs from my house), I do feel better( less lightheaded episodes, don't have to wear my compression stockings, etc). I really believe, as Michael J Fox found out in the Himalayas, barometric pressure really affects us.