I Posted This Before, But No One Responded...

kalamazoo

Does anyone have any kind of swelling in any way shape or form? If so, when and how does it present itself. I also have erythromelalgia and am trying to distinguish the two disease but doctors are of no help sadly. So I'm seeinh which symptoms others have with the same disease. I get swelling of my hands knees and especially feet/legs.

I had an old C4a blood test that was really high from when I had Lyme disease (4 yrs ago). When I took all my old records to this immunologist, he retested my C4a and it is off the charts high. C4a is a protein in the immune complement system known as an anaphylatoxin. It is considered an inflammatory marker for chronic Lyme and several autoimmune inflammatory diseases such as rheumatiod arthritis and psoriatic conditions. Anaphylatoxins cause inflammation, vascular permibility, smooth muscle contraction, and anaphalactic reactions. I thought maybe I had MCAD but it turns out those mast cell type symptoms are coming because C4a causes mast cell degranulation. So, my issue is really coming from upstream of the mast cells. If we can turn off the C4a, we can turn off a lot of my issues. I also have pain in all major joints and all of my skin basically feels bruised all of the time, along with IBS type symptoms and migraines.

We can not pin point an exact diagnosis as I do not test positive for any specific, known disease. I have 90% of the symptoms of Lyme and most autoimmune inflammatory diseases but nothing specific enough to give it a name. My doc calls it "Katie Disease". He says there are at least hundreds, if not thousands of autoimmune diseases they haven't named yet because they just don't know enough. We are currently trying prednisone (its been just over a week) and are having some good success. I wake feeling pretty good now but decline through the day...but I don't expect it to all go away overnight. It took a long time to get this sick. I expect it will take my body tissues a long time to heal from this level of inflammation and for this length of time.

Let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to answer them.

Katie

My hands swell. I get these random flashes that start in my chest, go up through my head, then down my arms into my hands. It totally feels like a big vasodilation epidose. Everything then pools in my hands and my fingers swell and turn really red. I have developed alot of wrinkles on my fingers due to the back and forth swelling.

I have swelling in my hands and feet and ankles at times. I am on a diuretic for the ankle swelling, which is worse in the summer or if I have been standing too long...

I swing between Reynauds & Erythromelalgia. When I am very busy of stressed (even standing!) my hands and feet vasoconstrict. and no blood gets to them. However, after eating, if I sit down- my hands (and feet) turn hot, red, and swollen.

I suspect that you (and I have) small fiber neuropathy- which is often cormorbid with POTS :rolleyes:

I swing between Reynauds & Erythromelalgia. When I am very busy of stressed (even standing!) my hands and feet vasoconstrict. and no blood gets to them. However, after eating, if I sit down- my hands (and feet) turn hot, red, and swollen.

I suspect that you (and I have) small fiber neuropathy- which is often cormorbid with POTS :rolleyes:

This is so weird, I'm the exact opposite. My legs and hands pool and when after eating I constrict.

• 1 month later...