Dr Oz Show Or Something Similar With Us On It?!

misstraci

So, I was reading (only partially because I can't seem to focus) Naomi's post about "Why are doctors like this" and it got me to revisiting the idea of getting our illness out there and bringing attention to it. I think someone posted awhile back about emailing 'the doctors' show or Dr. Oz. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE if they would devote a show or segment to dysautonomia and get some people who really know their stuff to talk about it and get some awareness, maybe some answers for some people, etc etc.

Has anyone for real ever emailed these kinds of shows with the idea of putting us on there?!

If you wont to get some significant support for this idea try getting the yellow wiggle (Greg page) onboard as he has a large profile.

Greg Page helped me out a lot. Not because I ever met him or anything like that but in Australia EVERYONE knows about Greg Page and his illness and how badly he was effected. So I just always say Ive got the same thing as the Yellow Wiggle and people go 'oh ok, that was pretty bad.'

ive always noticed that if I talk to a GP about POTs and Ankylosing Spondylitis they always say 'poor thing' and 'that must be so terrible' about AS and dismiss POTS as being much milder. But I always make them know that AS is nothing compraed to POTS. LOL

We are doing this! Contacting a bunch of media and creating a POTS awareness week. Have let DINET know about it, its in the planning stages, and we hope to get the word out to the public and doctors. I feel especially bad for the teenagers going through what I went through (and still am) and it needs to stop. I and some of the other folks involved have media connections and are using them!

Funny, about 2 months ago I had gone on to Dr. Oz's website and requested they do a show on dysautonomia. It was actually my husband's idea. It was right after my daughter got diagnosed. I think we need to increase awareness, it took a few years to finally get a diagnosis because no one knows about it. I have a friend that is a pediatric neurosurgeon and he had never heard about it. amazes me.

If you wont to get some significant support for this idea try getting the yellow wiggle (Greg page) onboard as he has a large profile.

Greg Page helped me out a lot. Not because I ever met him or anything like that but in Australia EVERYONE knows about Greg Page and his illness and how badly he was effected. So I just always say Ive got the same thing as the Yellow Wiggle and people go 'oh ok, that was pretty bad.'

ive always noticed that if I talk to a GP about POTs and Ankylosing Spondylitis they always say 'poor thing' and 'that must be so terrible' about AS and dismiss POTS as being much milder. But I always make them know that AS is nothing compraed to POTS. LOL

I wonder how you would contact him for something like that. He has helped people that I used to work with understand me too because I worked in childcare.

Awesome! I would love to see POTS awareness and have it on TV. In addtion to Dr Oz, there is also that show The Doctors. Dr Oz is a leading cardiologist so i'd bet he has at least heard of POTS. It's great that some of you have media connections. I think that is what it will take. Otherwise, TV producers just care about ratings/advertising.

yay you guys are all so awesome!

Claire..... that is neat. I'm glad you have connections and have already started on your own mission with something like this.

Rama.... good idea, but I've never heard of yellow wiggle..... what/who is that?

thanks everyone else, this would be awesome to see dysautonomia in the news, tv, media, whatever, just some attention, some dr's attention and all that.

I actually saw a show on POTS on "Mystery Diagnosis" after being diagnosed, that is;...it was good. There are some books about it, and I know someone is trying to have a movie made, too. I do post things on occasion on my FB page. My ENT did a thesis on Autonomic Vertigo, and he is the one who sent me to the Autonomic Disorder Doctor and a Neurologist. I'm wondering if somehow we could get the doctor's to have a symposium about it for the medical community, as well. That would be very helpful.