Anyone Vegetarian

gertie

If so, how do you get your protein other than soy? I have allergies to black beans, chickpeas, & pintos. I can't eat dairy or eggs either. I seem to feel better if I eat beef a couple of times a week as it seems to stabilize my blood sugar better than veg. I'm trying to lower my chol & tri so thought I might try doing without meat for awhile & see how it works for me. With all my food allergies & sensitivities

I've been having to eat things that don't cause a reaction regardless of whether they are healthy or

not. Thanks for suggestions.

Hmmm. My suggestions would be beans, lentils, and eggs. If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, they make some good bagels, breadsticks and muffins that have a lot of fiber and protein. Kashi makes really good cereals that also have high fiber and protein. I really rely on these items and others that are similar to get enough protein/fiber, but I can also eat beans and eggs. Good luck!

I was vegan for 5 weeks starting in sept and I think that's what made me couchbound and unable to stand

for more than a few minutes. I'd been getting around

reasonably well prior. I have oh and pots but typically I could be up 3 hours without crashing.

I'm back on the paleo diet and not feeling as weak ... I definitely need meat ..

I'm paleo and my chol and tri are to be admired according to my doc .. Lol

Jus sayin .. Tc .. D

I had to give in & eat meat for a couple days until I felt stronger. I'm back on veggies again for last few days. I'm allergic to Quinoa but I ate barley today. I don't crave meat but I feel better to include a little in my diet. I don't think I can ever be completely meat free again as I have been in the past. Thanks.

Until I got the MCAD symptoms and pseudo-food allergies 2 months ago, I was ovo lacto pesco vegetarian (vegetarian who ate fish/seafood, dairy, and eggs) for many years (ethical choice). Now I'm eating chicken again because of the allergic-like reaction to so many things and I needed some source of protein. I do think in the past I was healthier when vegetarian, as long as I took a multivitamin with B12 and got protein (fish, eggs, dairy, beans), but now with the MCAD, all bets are off. I'd just like to be able to eat reasonably normally again! Carol

I have thought about it and would do it for ethical and health reasons if I could. When you learn about how some of these animals are raised it is quite disturbing. I have tried other restrictive diets (gluten/dairy free) and found it too be too stressful. For me just trying to exist with POTS is hard enough without having to worry about diet. I need a high salt diet, which is easier to do with meat. And part of me wants to just be like everyone else - hard enough explaining why i limit my alcohol intake. I cant go hanggliding or stay out til 3am, so at least l can enjoy a burger once in a while. I do like the taste. Plus I have reflux, and too many vegetables/soy really upset my stomach. So I have decided not to push myself in this direction.

I do admire anyone who can manage it. Not sure about us, but I do think it is better for the avg person. Friends from yoga and other and friends with other illnesses who are vegan swear by it.