Your Birth Order

sue1234

Your birth order  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alfred Adler would call me an abdicated first- although I'm a second :D My son is an only. I often wished I'd had other (healthy) children as my "controls" so that I could have realized how badly affected Mack was- earlier.

Oldest of 2 and my symptoms began at about 16 or so, although looking back I can see indications my entire life. Eveything escalated further when I was about 20 or 21.

Hi,

I'm the oldest of two but we both have POTS and EDS. My sister developed severe POTS symptoms at the age of 14 (shes 2.5 years younger than me) I developed severe symptoms at the age of 33.

Since both of us have been diagnosed it has become clear that both our parents have EDS and my mum I believe has POTS.

Interesting poll.

Thanks

Rach

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, y'all are probably wondering why I did this poll! It kind of gives me the numbers I was expecting. And, of course, this is just all theory on my part.

I was reading an article a while back about hemoglobin. Besides the usual that we all know about oxygen transport, it said it is used in some neurotransmitters and in collagen formation. So, my thinking was, maybe some of you with EDS were born to iron-deficient mothers. The poll showed that 60% of answerers were either middle or youngest children. That makes me think more of the mother with iron deficiency having another baby.

The second thing, most of us have our most POTS symptoms during age group of having periods, and especially during age of having children. This would make US more prone to anemia. Not sure what that tells me regarding anemia, but maybe we lost collagen strength during this time?

Just food for thought.

http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/hemoglobin_and_functions_of_iron/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

I have not had ANY tests to confirm this but I feel that I may have the hypermobile form of P.O.T.S. As a child was so flexible and my joints would often slip out of socket and go right back in. Even now, I am very flexible and can do all of the "flexibility tests" that I've found on website to indicate this.

I stated on the poll that my concrete symptoms started between 31-40 because that is when my symptoms became debilitating but I can recall having some symptoms as a young teen. I had migraines, frequent diziness, and had my first syncope at about 14. The syncope has actually been with me since but nearly to the degree I have it now (multiple times a day) but I was always one of those people prone to "fainting". Usually only once or twice a year.

Interesting Poll!

I'm the oldest two and so far my younger brother is pretty darn healthy (though he does have scoliosis). A lot of joint issues run in my family and I've been wondering if I might have the hypermobile EDS. When I was healthy I was heavy into dance and was very well known for my flexibility. I had the kind of super "double jointed" flexibility and also used to feel my joints pop in and out of the socket. My hip joints still do this on occasion (and it hurts!). But no one has ever brought that up.

I was torn between what age to mark. I'm 21 now and just got the diagnosis of POTS. However my symptoms first got very severe right before my 21st birthday and I actually spent my 21st birthday in the hospital throwing up and being incorrectly diagnosed with vertigo. I got the diagnosis of sinus tachycardia at 19 though. And have had random issues with tachycardia since I was 17 or so. So I'm not totally sure. I clicked the 21-30 button though since that's when things got really bad.

Also, I'm not sure if my mom was actively anemic when she was pregnant with me but I know my mom has been anemic at points in her life (as have I). I was an IVF baby, the first child born to parents ages 46 and 50. Never sure if that has anything to do with my many health issues but it might...

My twin brothers are only 15 months younger than me (they just turned 21 and im 22) and they are perfectly healthy with no symptoms of POTS. Actually one is in the Navy and the other runs like crazy. My mom has POTS though, and my grandma had symptoms. It only affected the women of our family... i really hope my daughter does not get it :/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hmm I am the youngest of three children. My oldest sibling, a sister, died not long after birth from heart and organ defects ( a very rare condition)

My older brother, who is 29, has ankylosing spondylitis (spinal arthritis) and had WPW ( a heart defect that caused atrial fibrillation until surgery corrected it)

I am 26, have thyroid disease, allergies, unexplained digestive problems, and now this.

Started having symptoms a few years ago, around the time of the thyroid diagnosis. Got bad enough to go to a doc about it a little over a year ago, when my blood pressure really started messing up.

Guest Hanice

Omg I cant imagine a house full of potsie people. Oh its your turn to get up. You would hear random gasps for air and uncomfortable smiles. That *****! ! :-(

I'm not exactly sure when my symptoms started. I know when the severe ones started, that's for sure. I was diagnosed 15 years ago with RSD and after surgery it went into remission. At times I'll have RSD flares. However, now some of the things that I've thought were RSD flares may actually have been the beginning of POTS, I don't really know for sure.