6 Months Pregnant Need Some Help

icesktr189

Hi there! i am now 6 months almost 7 months pregnant. I am a bit worried though.. my POTs has gotten worse day by day (brain fog) especially. But i am worried for the baby. I was watching mystery diagnosis (the show) about POTS and the woman lost her baby at 6 months because it did not have enough blood flow or oxygen.. this really scares me. I can handle the POTS but i dont know how the baby does? should i be worried?

Hi there! i am now 6 months almost 7 months pregnant. I am a bit worried though.. my POTs has gotten worse day by day (brain fog) especially. But i am worried for the baby. I was watching mystery diagnosis (the show) about POTS and the woman lost her baby at 6 months because it did not have enough blood flow or oxygen.. this really scares me. I can handle the POTS but i dont know how the baby does? should i be worried?

Are you fainting at all? If not, I wouldn't be too concerned. Is the baby active? Let that be a reassurance.

I'm 8 months pregnant and was told if I fainted to go straight to L&D to have the baby checked but otherwise to not be concerned.

Soon you'll start counting kicks and that will make you feel better.

Hi- I had 2 healthy babies when I had undiagnosed POTS. I was induced early with my first child due to high blood presssure (now I know I had pots). I was sick thoughout the whole pregnacy. Vomitted a lot, had trouble gaining weight and was induced about a month early- My now 11 year old could not be healthier! She is upstairs playing her flute as I write this. Don't worry too much. I made out fine and I was undiagnosed and untreated. My obgyn thought I was a hypochondirac!

My only advice if you are worried is make sure that the hospitial you choose for labor and delivery has a good neonatal department. If there is a problem you want your baby to have great care. Hope this is readable -can't think today- welcome to the world of worrying motherhood by the way! It starts before birth!!!

People miscarry for lots of reasons... I am not sure that you could prove POTS is one. I never miscarried and I have POTS, Fibromyalgia, Endometriosis, IBS among other things. My sister in law miscarried as did my mother (in her 20's) and they are both TOTALLY healthy!!

Hey Dani-

Congrats!!! I know your OB has probably already told you this, but the baby gets the most blood/oxygen when you lie on your left side. If you ever feel really bad, be sure to assume that position to protect your precious cargo. I was unDXed when pregnant, but I did faint several times. I usually don't. Weird- never hurt the baby. Drink as much as you can and try to relax and enjoy. This is such a special and exciting time, enjoy it!

Hugs-

Julie

My dr told me there is no known connection between POTS and miscarriage--and it is unlikely that there is one. I think that it was wrong that the TV program implicated it as a cause.

I also felt worse as my pregnancy progressed. My daughter is now 7. She was born a few days after term and has always been normal and healthy.

Hope you are getting the reassurance you need! It's true that worry and guilt begin before your child is even born. Just keep taking care of yourself, and rest when you need to. It's hard to get enough protein the last trimester--that's probably the most important thing to focus on!

I had my last child when the POTS/autonomic dysfunction was just at the point of giving me the worst it could give. I was unlucky enough to catch some kind of influenza virus in my eighth month, and I believe that was my final straw. Before that, as my pregnancy progressed, I noticed that my blood pressure was more labile and my heart rates were all over the charts. The biggest challenge I had at that point was fighting with midwives who wanted to label me as pre-eclamptic. Not really the case...it just didn't fit. Having a home health nurse come to my house four times a week muted down that fear. My baby was fine...born exactly on her due date.

I probably was working up to severe problems in the previous pregnancy. That went fine, too...just watch for labile blood pressures and heart rates that might be confused with toxemia.

Must say, though, that after the pregnancies was no picnic. After the last pregnancy, I started passing out after a couple days. It progressed to the point that I couldn't sit up at about six weeks post partum.

Hi dani, I would not worry at all. You're baby will be fine. The baby takes everything it needs from you. You may feel like crap, but he/she will be ok. Don't stress. Enjoy your pregnancy.

I did not enjoy my pregnancy, I was so worried about everything that "could" go wrong. Nothing did. He was born 40 weeks 9lbs-11oz. Perfect.

I had healthy babies with undiagnosed POTS as well! I'm a fainter but baby survived the falls fortunately! My last baby was my biggest healthiest one yet and that's when my symptoms were getting really bad. I'll share a brain fog moment for me! I was shopping at a dollar store with my 3 kids and My oldest ran out the door. I ran to catch him and got him back inside and told him he needed to wait for the rest of us to be ready before walking out. I grabbed my purchases and turned to walk out and Jonathan says to me "mom are you forgetting someone?" My youngest daughter who hadn't made a peep the entire shopping trip is still sitting in the cart. Baby #4 healthy and all my other babies somehow have survived all my brain fog moments!! Take care! Very excited for you!!!

Brye

Your fears are understandable, but I agree with the previous post that the fact that miscarriage was mentioned on the show was probably not the best idea- since it would be VERY difficult to prove the cause was POTS. I don't think that miscarriage/loss rates are any higher with POTS pregnancies.

I have had two healthy pregnancies and have 2 active, intelligent little boys =) I am pregnant with my 3rd, and while I am having the worst symptoms ever, the baby has been doing great.

thanks tons everyone! that really calmed me down a lot!

too bad i have been feeling horrible.. lots of headaches.. severe dizziness and brain fog.. basically the whole "POTS works" LOL

so from what i heard its going to be pretty bad after birth? I am going to have tons of help but i just feel so horrible. I dont know how i am going to muster up the strength to give birth. i am honestly not even afraid of the pain, as i am of the lack of energy and out of it feeling i feel. My tachycardia has been really bad lately, but i just got an ecko done today and it looked good.

But thanks for listening to my ranting! i just cant wait for that day to come where i have my normal POTs back.. its just so scary because i dont know what to expect and everyday gets harder and harder.

I am concerned about postpartum as well, only because I've been SO symptomatic with this pregnancy. My previous two births were perfect and I had NO problems postpartum, but that was after feeling great during pregnancy.

I've concluded at this point that we just don't know what to expect, we have to take things one step at a time! Just make sure you have plenty of help lined up after the baby comes...and plan to take your little one and snuggle in bed until you recover.

I started feeling badly around week 23 and by month 8 I was unable to work full-time any more. I stayed home the last two months of my pregnancy. For me post partum was worse. I think a lot of it had/has to do with lack of sleep (it is a tiring time for moms with no health problems, lets face it), but also I had a c-section and lost tremendous amount of blood due to abruption. I also had no diagnosis so had no clue what I could be doing to feel better. Anyway, by around month 6 post partum I slowly began to feel like a normal human being again. I needed a lot of help and fortunately my mother was able to live with us for the first 5 months. At the time it felt like a disaster, but in the long run, it wasn't so horrible... I did get diagnosed and did "recover". :)