Christopher Reeve

Guest elyag

I know this is off the topic but I'm feeling really sad about Christopher Reeve's death. He was such an amazing person, a true hero.

He always had such a positive attitude and he was a great activist.

I used to think about him often, his hopeful attitude and his courage were contagious. He'll really be missed.

GayleP

I agree- this one hit me harder than others have in the past...maybe because he was such a fantastic example of courage and perserverance. Something we can all learn from, in so many ways.

My heart goes out to his family.

Gayle,

I am glad that you posted that....b/c I heard it right away on NPR this morning and was so sad too...

What everyone said so far is so true...he really showed amazing spirit and courage...and became such an advocate for people with disabilities.

I took a psychosocial aspects of disability class, and many of the "hard core" disability people are very negative about Christropher Reeve...which really annoys me...b/c I think he was amazing...

It's weird, b/c I don't get into celebrity stuff, but I really admire him, and he died on my birthday...which makes it so that I will NEVER forget him.

May his memory be a blessing...

Emily

I was very sad today to hear about the death of Christopher Reeve - He truly was a super man, not just "Superman". The strength and courage he had in spite of his disability was remarkable. He is free from the confines of his body now and I hope he is flying around Heaven, walking and is free from any pain. My prayers go out to his family at this time of their tragic loss. Beth

I heard a snipet of an old interview with him yesterday in which he said something to the effect of: don't take for granted that you can stand up, walk, and do the seemingly simplest of tasks. He also talked about human potential, and how frustrated he gets when he sees perfectly able-bodied people who don't strive every day to use their minds and bodies to their highest potential.

I think we can all relate to this message. And I think until you do go through an illness, particularly a chronic one, you take so much for granted. Now, like him, we know better.

I think Reeve, once faced with disability, was a great role model of hope and perseverance and inner peace to many, voiceless and unnamed people facing disability, as well as to those who are not.

Guest Julia59

Something told me there was some news to hear on CNN. Saturday night when my husband and I went to bed I turned on the TV telling my husband I was sensing something was wrong. As soon as I turned it on there was the news about Christopher Reeve.

It is so tragic what happened to him. But he took tragedy and turned it into helping others find hope in the future of a possible cure for spinal cord injuries.

He will never be forgotten. My prayers go out to his family and friends during this terrible loss.

Julie :0)

i read that he was awarded the nicest actor to work with by all his peers. this is a great loss, but he is free now. i pray for his family. i do wonder tho that he had pressure sores so severe that they caused septicemia. it was an uneccessary way for him to go. i know he died of heart failure and cardiac arrest, but they were caused by the other. no one should ever have those kind of ulcers. i think we will be hearing more about this. the whole thing has been very tragic. i think dana was a great support system for him and i am glad i have my hubby. morgan

I agree Morgan, his wife Dana was a real support to him. She was always so strong. I hope she continues to fight for what he believed in.

It did seem a little strange that he ended up getting such bad pressure wounds considering the care he was receiving.

All I know is that my heart just sunk when I heard about his passing.

GayleP

On the news they said that many people in his condition get bedsores and die within the first year, and it was really a miracle that he was able to survive so long. He and his wife deserve all of the credit for their perseverance. I was just telling my mom that whenever I get down I think about how bravely he carried himself in the face of tragedy. He was definitely a big inspiration. I am really saddened by the loss.

We talked about this at home--Teri used to do patient care in the Navy... The pressure sore apparently started very deep in his tissues, and by the time there was a visible wound, the sore had already become a systemic infection. With someone who was in his condition, it would have been very, very difficult to prevent such wounds completely--best they could do is try to stay vigilant for signs of infection or tissue injury, since he wouldn't have had the pain signals to tell him there was a problem.

Nina

This was truly sad and depressing.

He was such a great man, that did great things.

He was inspirational to say the least in his push for a cure and keeping himself ready for that day. He had enough hope to carry the world on his back :P

He was an advocate for so many people. The work he did pushing for Stem Cell research was so important to us patients with Dysautonomia. Many doctors have said that our problems could possibly be cured with Stem Cell advances.

He will be missed by so many around the world :P