Cold weather

yogini

It is starting to get a bit colder in NY. I have always dreaded cold weather, but this year it seems much worse. It's in the low 50's today. I wore a winter coat on my way to work and was still freezing. Of course it's going to get MUCH colder in the coming months and I am worried about not being able to handle it. I know most of us can't tolerate heat well, but does anyone else feel hypersensitive to cold weather too?

Also, just wondering whether the cold temperature can worsen POTS symptoms?

My heart rate increased by about 50 bpm when I was outside last night. I am guessing this is because of the cold, because it slowed back down when I came inside. (This is a bummer, because I slightly upped my florinef about a week ago. I started to feel a bit better. My BP went up a bit and my heart rate came down so much that I was thinking I need to reduce my beta blocker dose. But now I am not so sure...)

Thanks!

Hi rqt,

I'm, like you, doing worse when getting cold. When I'm cold I can't do anything to get warm again than take a hot bath and go in bed for about an hour and a half, sleep and then get dressed again. I'm getting cold when temperature comes under 21 degrees celsius and just without a reason a couple of times during the day. I figured it could have anything to do with my eatingpattern but thinking everything over it just doesn't make sense. I think it's just my body doesn't control my temperature anymore. When I go to bed in the evening I'm mostly terribly cold but within a few hours I start sweating terribly. I thought of hormones but everything turned out to be normal. The thing is, the cold makes me yawn very much and I feel exhausted and can't do anything then just try to get myself warm again and lay down. The yawning is my warning that things are getting out of hand and that I have to lay down. And like you mentioned: winter didn't even start ;) .

When I went shopping last week, I spent my money on buying a few nice and warm sweaters, hope that will do! Wishing you a not too cold winter,

Corina

Well ya have brought something to my attention. I haven't even thought about how the cold weather will make me feel. I actually was looking forward to it. Right now our weather is great (when it isn't raining). I live in Alabama. The temperature is perfect. I had a horrible time this summer with the heat, I hope I tolerate the cold better. Wow it is already that cold in NY? We are still wearing shorts and capris here. I haven't pulled out any of my winter stuff yet. Alabama is crazy like that, our winter usually hits us fast. It will be 70 one day and then 40 the next. I will be watching for all the advice so I can avoid problems with the cold as much as possible.

Paige

Here in South Dakota I spend most of the summer hot and all winter cold. This summer was very nice though and I got a little spoiled by it. I'm already having trouble with being cold. I use a small heating pad every nite to help warm up my feet and legs, slowly working my way up. I also get sweatty at nite, more toward morning (3-4 am), but I'm careful not to uncover too much, then I have to warm up all over again. Our first frost, killing frost that is, was about 11 days ago.

Blackowlf

I hate summer. By August this year I was wearing open shoes and short tops. I love winter but I don’t have your winters. I can’t handle very cold weather but South Africa's winters don’t get that bad. Especially in Nelspruit. But the summers are ****. I am petrified that December is coming closer and closer. I truly wanted to move to the North Pole. But by the sounds of it you who know what winters are suffer just as much. I will remember this when I get so frustrated. You all have 2 sessions to hate. I only hate summer. Now that you all talk about winter I just always thought I was a baby. At social gatherings I sit under piles of blankets when everyone else is fine in cooler weather. :o The one thing I must mention, I get sicker in summer than in winter?

My heartbeat goes wildly irregular when I get cold enough to shiver - that was going on for years before I realized that it was because of my sensitive ANS. The only things I can do about it (I live in NH and it gets COLD here) is to minimize any sudden changes in my environment as much as is possible, and to keep in mind that it's just my heightened physical awareness to my surroundings - not something catastrophic.

Although I do daydream about moving south... :o

Wow. How great that people from all over the world write on this board!

Today is supposed to be in the upper 60's, so at least it will be better than the past couple of days. But I guess winter is inevitable. The worst thing is when it is cold is that they have the heat cranked up really high when you go inside. So even if I dress warmly, I start to overheat and get symptompatic as soon as I go inside. You really can't win with POTS...Anyway, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that can't handle the cold. Thanks for your responses!

I think Hawaii would be great (maybe a bit warm, but probably our best bet!).

Actually, since I've moved to Florida my symptoms have been at bay. It was hellaciously hot here in August when we moved, and even into September, but now it's around 80 during the day and 60's during morning and nights. They tell me that the perfect weather is coming soon (60-70 degrees from November through March). I think living here will be much better for my symptoms because the weather not only changes slowly, but it also doesn't change as drastically as it did up north when we lived in Virginia & West Virginia.

The heat is tough, but I tried to work around it by going out in the morning and evenings as much as possible. Parking in the shade, getting dropped off at doors, etc...really helps as well as keeping the AC cranked at all times. I think it'll get easier each year. I'm just happy to be in a tropical climate this year for a change...no snow!! No cold!! Yay!!

I know I dont usually have any problems with heat, but when it comes to cold, it does not take much to make me shiver, and when that happens about the only thing I can do to warm up is to soak in a nice warm tub for about an hour and then jump into bed under the covers.

I was supposed to move to San Antonio this past summer but it didnt work out with my employer (but that was also before I learned about POTS). I still want to move there sooooooo bad, :o I love it there!!!!!

Jessica,

I was in Florida once (orlando, tampa, st. petersburg etc. etc.) and I really loved it. I'll ask my husband what he thinks of moving over :unsure: (guess he doesn't like the hurricanes you have!) It can be very cold in the netherlands during winter (I loved to play in the snow and skate with my children) and summers are not too hot.

Corina