Tomorrow a new PCP

Guest Julia59

Tomorrow I get to see a new PCP-----whoo---hooo. Yippi---i'm so looking forward to it. Can't wait to see what he thinks of all my mess......

Want to place bets anyone----on a psychological cause to my problems---perhaps conversion disorder. My husband and I had to get a new Doc because our old doctor sent letters out saying she was changing direction---whatever that meant. I wish her well---she was a good Doc.

I will not let them weigh me! My weight has nothing to do with my health issues. It's too depressing to get weighed only to find out I might weigh more---or whatever..... I think i'm the same because my clothes still fit.

The point is that I need a good doc who can take care of other health issues that Dr. Grubb can not. Also, he'll need to be open to dysautonomia-----------or i'll just have to fire him. If this internist does not understand the ANS and how it works I don't want him as MY DOC.

Let's just say i'm ready for whatever he throws my way. If he turns out good---i'll simply count my blessings. If he's bad---i'll tell him so, let him go---and then leave.

I guess---just wish me luck....

Thanks,

Julie :0)

Julie,

is there a specific reason why they should weigh you when finding a new doctor? I don't understand the connection between your weight and having a new doctor. Maybe I get this wrong (please tell me, if so) but I didn't think your weight has anything to do with this. You see your new doctor in helping and understanding you with your dysautonomia. In my opinion, your weight is your own business (unless it might be very unhealthy for you?). I can understand your doubts about being treated as having psychological problems, that's where we all have been I think. So, yeah I wanna place a bet and choose the psychological problems :P . Best of luck, and let us now!

Corina

Corina, they always wiegh you and get your height when you visit the doctor here...new doctor or returning patient, they are always taking down the statistics. For me, I need to know the height because I've been shrinking due to bone loss/osteopenia.

Good luck Julia :P Nina

I questioned my "new" neurologist on this issue just recently. They use your weight and height basically to check on your dosage of medications. and if your weight fluctuates they need to keep on top of this. So I was told.......

Sue

new docs always want them as a baseline. my pcp weighed me 20 years ago and then never again till i started dropping so much, now he weighs me everytime. but you can always refuse. you can tell the nurse what your scale at home says then she will just write, "stated weight" i used to only let my gastro weigh me, but then the problem was, when i did start to lose all my weight, they didn't have a starting point for me. but they believed me so that helped. good luck with your appointment. maybe you should just mention one problem each visit.... oh by the way i think i forgot to tell you last visit... everytime you go in lol. within 10 years or so they'll have your whole history. if you have as many symptoms as me lol. morgan :P

Julie,

good luck! :o

I just "fired" my GP. Couldn't stand the "all your troubles would go away if you would just lose the weight" thing. My cardio is so happy and proud of me when I lose about 3-4 pounds a month (just like you're supposed to). My GP complained about it, oh well. Not a real loss, he didn't understand the POTS stuff anyway.

Again, GOOD LUCK!! :P

Blackwolf

:P

Weight and BP, every visit, it's a government thing.........really. The people who review medical records for insurance companies use that info for quality review. As if BP was only ONE problem with ONE solution and its CAUSE was weight. Buncha dumbasses. Seriously though, getting a baseline height and weight is definitely part of a thorough physical. I just have a problem having my weight checked two and three times a week.

Jules, Dr. Susan Gross is a great MD, boarded in internal medicine and pediatrics. She's at Central and McCord Rd. She's my husband's PCP and I hope to have her take care of me again once my insurance changes. She knows what dysautonomia is. I rag on her all the time for being a science nerd, reading all the magazines that have no pictures unless they're data graphs, lol. In fact, she's the one who taught me how to pronounce "dysautonomia" correctly.

Kinda like "graduate"....I couldn't spell it but now I are one.

"Dysautonomia"....I can't pronounce but I are one of those too!

Julie,

Good luck with your new PCP. At least you'll be prepared if he doesn't believe you or comes up with a psych diagnosis. The last time a Dr tried to do that with me I told him "not to even go there", he did anyhow so I found a new doc.

Sorry your old Dr is leaving.

The good ones are really special.

GayleP

Thanks everyone for replying,

I will let them weigh me---but I won't let them tell me----LOL

Also, i'll give Dr. Susan Gross a thought. If I don't like this Doc----she'll be one of the first i'll call. My husband has Anthem blue/cross--federal---so hopefully she'll take that insurance. Actually this DOC i'm seeing tomorrow is not a provider---so i'm only covered 80%------providers are covered 95%.

Amy-I can't spell worth a cr#$...terrible at it. I have dictionary.com on my PC all the time. By the way---i'm a science nerd too. I wish I could have completed some kind of medical program other then medical billing. I just like the science end. That was one of the subjects I did well in along with health..... even with my ADHD.

But I must say some of the dysautonomia stuff is difficult to follow---with so many possible causes------------just mind boggling.

I'll keep you all posted.

I hope your predictions are wrong and you find a keeper tomorrow. That way you do not have to use the energy to find a Dr. Good thing to be prepared, however.

Yeah, fire him if he diagnosis's the psych crap. I have been diagnosed with conversion disorder.I am still seeing that Dr. The only reason I am is because she is the only one around who knows anything about Mitochondrail Myopathy. It took others Dr's to prove her wrong. Some of them really stuck out there neck for me. She no longer brings up the psych stuff, but I am having a hard time trusting her.

Good Luck,

dawn a

Well I had my visit to new PCP. It turned out OK---nothing mentioned about anything psychological. He's strictly business---not chatty at all. But he wasn't rude---just straight to business.

He knows all about dysautonomia---but he had a little trouble with POTS until I told him what it standed for---then he seemed to understand. He then measured my BP standing and sitting and did a basic neurological exam. He said my reflexes were brisk in my legs and asked if I had lumbar back problems. He knows that they will be very brisk with cervical stenosis and brain stem compression but he wanted to make sure I didn't have more stenosis in my lumbar.

I do have a herniated disk on L5/S1 area, but I don't think I have any issues with my spine in that area.

He gave me a prescription for a cholesterol check since my hovers at 205. Then he said since I didn't have any tests for coronary heart disease that I should get a stress test with dye to rule out my fatigue and chest pain is not from CHD. I told him I see Dr. Barry Deran in Nov. He's a cardiologist who also treats POTS patients. I'm staying with Dr. Grubb, but i'm going with Dr. Deran to manage heart health outside of my ANS dysfunction. I feel like i'm getting a plan now.

The staff is down to earth----and get this-------------they had chocolate sitting out for the patients! Is that a good omen or what----LOL. I'm glad he doesn't talk too much anyway-----he's focused, and knows what he's doing.

I'm glad for you -- finding a good doc is like finding a needle in the proverbial haystack. I don't mind if docs aren't the best at conversation, as long as they're proficient at differential diagnosis (knowing how to figure out what's caused by one disorder as opposed to another) and treatment knowledge.

My doc has candy out in her lobby--and she also has OTC samples of things like calcium supplements, vitamins, etc.

Nina