Severe Nausea

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else been in the same boat as me regarding nausea? I have tried multiple meds and for a while the zofran helped (i take 8mg of zofran), however, now after 2 or 3 hours the zofran wears off. At this point I'm getting depressed as the nausea is the worst it has ever been. I'm out of ideas. i go to my GI doc, well I'm supposed to go there today as long as I can make the drive...I guess I'm just looking for some support..and ideas...

Jacquie

Jackie,

I can totally relate on the nausea issue. I have severe gastroparesis and am dependent on TPN for nutrition, but the nausea is relentless. I have tried many antiemetics and due to having dystonia I can only take a few safely. I found that when I switched from 8mg of Zofran pills to 8mg of Zofran ODT (orally disintergrating tablets) I can usually make it 4-5 hours between doses. It certainly works more quickly. Sometimes I have to take Benadryl too, but hate to because it makes me so drowsy. This is just a thought, since I wasn't sure which form of Zofran you were taking.

I wish you all the best,

Sheridan

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else been in the same boat as me regarding nausea? I have tried multiple meds and for a while the zofran helped (i take 8mg of zofran), however, now after 2 or 3 hours the zofran wears off. At this point I'm getting depressed as the nausea is the worst it has ever been. I'm out of ideas. i go to my GI doc, well I'm supposed to go there today as long as I can make the drive...I guess I'm just looking for some support..and ideas...

Jacquie

i dont know if you can take it but i found that suppositories really help me. I took them when i had my tonsil removal and they really have helped me from then on. I get so nauseated that i cant take anything orally. Im sorry your going through this i know how much it stinks when you are constantly on the verge of being sick! get better soon!

I get nausea in the morning and evening. The following helps:

1) Avoid sugar;

2) Smelling (eating if you can cook with it) raw, fresh ginger root (cut);

3) Relaxation;

4) Distraction;

5) Salty snacks (like Cheetos);

6) Hydrating during non-nausea periods with Gatorade or V8 Juice.

I cannot stress enough how much work and studying contributed to my nausea, although I liked those activities. My nausea only subsided significantly when I graduated. My appetite increased at the same time. After eating more for a month, my nausea lessened to almost nothing. But it comes back in spurts with flare-ups.

Good luck!

I layer Zofran and Compazine.

Zofran oral did nothing for me- and I'm sorry 8mg? They give chemo patients 25mg. I would try and fight for more. I know they give you like 2mg in the ER as if that is going to touch a thing. I tell them to come back with the entire bottle and we'll talk, otherwise I will be occupying their bed alot longer. Funny how the dosage jumps when they hear that.

I take 12mg every 4 hours and I get the liquid Zofran from my home health. They can supply you with syringes and you shoot it directly into your hip or leg muscle. You don't find veins, you just punch it in. It takes less than 15 min to work and it is very much worth the stick (they give you long and very small needles) It may be a little expensive, but it was more expensive for me to get the oral tabs and have them not work.

I have also found that clonidine at night reduces AM nausea. Nausea is my primary symptom, so this was a great find. I don't know how it does it.

I hope this helps. Severe nausea is the most awful thing.

Kits

I tried all the anti-nausea and anti-emetics and the ONLY thing that helps me is to put an icepack on my stomach - I know - it sounds like the most horrible thing to do but I SWEAR to you it is really the only thing that helps me when I have nausea, and my nausea is very extreme.

Other things that have been hugely instrumental at minimizing episodes to begin with:

1. avoid gluten (wheat, oats, barely, rye, and glutenous rice)

2. avoid all dairy (including hidden dairy like casein and calcium casinate)

Waterbaby,

It's interesting that ice works for you. We are all so different sometimes aren't we even though many of us deal with the same symptoms?!

I discovered (kinda by accident) that warm water sometimes helps my nausea. I have to be careful because sitting in a tub of warm water will sometimes cause problems for heart rate and bp so it's a trade off for me. Heat (like a hot water bottle or heating pad) don't help as much as sitting in a tub of warm water.

Zofran helps for me but my insurance severely limits the quantity per month.

Sipping on a cup of hot chicken broth will sometimes help, ginger is good for some people to help with nausea.

I wish I had some good answers for you (for myself too!)