Intolerance To Warm/hot Drinks

ajw4790

Hi all!

I have over time been having a more difficult time drinking liquids that are not cold/ice cold. I get nausous, stomach cramps, and overall gastro. wise feeling yuck! Sometime it will also send me into a NCS/POTS attack of overheating, faint, puking, blacking out etc. It is when I drink pretty much anything room temp. or hotter. Cold drinks are fine (I prefer), and I have been kinda hooked on ice. (sounds stupid!) :P It is just ablout everytime now that I have a hot drink, but if it is warm it sometimes will not be as bad.

But, at first it was more a sensitivity to strong hot tea, then to pretty much all kinds of hot tea, then hot coffee, hot electrolyte drinks, hot chocolate, etc. Some has caffeine some doesn't so I don't think that is it. Plus I drink quite a bit of cold caffeine that doesn't have the same affect. Also, there isn't always milk in the drinks I am sensitive to, so I don't think that is it. Plus, it can even sometimes just be room temp. water.

So, anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else has this, or has an idea of what it may be. I am not sure what to do, I plan to bring it up to a dr. etc, but I am kinda afraid they will just blow it off. But, when it cold outside I sometimes really want to drink hot drinks to warm up! They look at you weird sometimes if it is snowing and you go into Starbucks and ask for a Frappachino! :)

I would appreciate any insight! Thanks!!! :)

I dont know what causes this but I havent been able to drink anything hot for about 5 years now. Being on this site makes me feel so normal though cause I thought i was the only one with these weird symptoms. I guess its just another pots thing. Such fun huh? Good luck.

I don't have that problem (thank goodness, it's cold at work, and I drink hot tea constantly!) but it sure sounds like a POTS thing. If taking a hot bath or shower makes us tachy, it seems like drinking hot water (where it's internal) could have the same effect.

Sounds like something a doctor might blow off, though. Or look at you weird and think it's psychological. Ugh. :)

Amy

Yes, I have this problem too. I suspect it is a similar reaction to what we have when we get overheated from taking a hot shower or going outside on a hot day. It is a heat intolerance issue. About a minute after drinking a cup of hot tea or boullion my heart rate goes up and I feel weak and shakey.

I was begining to wonder this myself! :) I am a hot chocolate addict and I was thinking that it was the caffeine that was making me worse. S I started diluting them to the point of being slightly chocolate flavoured water and still the same. Guess I should have guess this all along :( I'm just limiting myself to days when I don't have to work. :( Too bad since it's really really cold up here in Canada right now!

this is really fascinating to me as this is something i've never had a problem with & - to my knowledge - i have GI issues beyond most others on the board. i may not be able to eat/ drink normally now, but there's not correlation for me with warm/ hot items. but that's not the point.

what it makes me think is that it's not a GI issue but rather more related to a POTS profile since most (if not all) who have chimed in with "me too" have this diagnosis? (which i don't and, even when i did, my docs all agreed that i was very different than the more typical POTS person). i know we're all different in many ways but for some reason this particular issue intrigued me. i have major issues with temperature regulation, intolerance to hot & cold temperatures (too hot or too cold can be a quick ticket to my fainting), etc, so it can't be "just" a correlation with that.

someday - though it may be long after any of our times here on earth - there will be an answer for this. but in the meantime, as someone who can't eat/ drink more than a bite here or there of anything, i can empathize with the utter frustration of dietary limitations. it downright stinks.

:( melissa

Hi,

I cannot eat hot food because it makes me faint. A few days ago a tried a bowl of soup again which was lightly warm and I had to lie down for 15 minutes because I was on the edge of fainting.

For me, eating warm or hot food is like going in a sauna. It dilate my blood vessels.

:) it's just not the same with warm chocolate. lol

I know before I was diagnosed, hot meals made me more tachycardic then usual, that and I had delayed gastric emptying so I'm glad that I don't have that anymore. It was so hard trying to have a family diner then feel like fainting for hours after eating.

Hi! (again!)

I asked first my GP about this today, and you know what her brillant response was? Just don't drink warm drinks!!! B):blink::blink::blink::P

I mean seriously that is your wisdom! Did you ever stop to think WHY this has happened? No!

So, then I asked one of my many neuros. Thank goodness he is helpful and listens, he heard it and agreed yes a way around it is don't drink hot things, but it does mean something. Actually it is quite significant in fact, at least in my case. It means that the neuropathy is not fully all distal as they had thought, and that it has moved in proximal and affecting systemic function. It is pretty much like regular heat intolerance, but with this it is my inner core not adapting to the temperture it is confronted with. So, then I get sick feeling. It is why it has gotten worse over time. Even barely warm things can set it off, because if it causes vasodilation (right, not constriction? brain issue ;) ) ) then it can set off symptoms. And or less something is done, if there is anything, I guess it will continue to get worse, but nothing has been said about figuring that out. So, lets hope it stays with just hot drinks (or gets better)! I really want to do something about this neuropathy! I wish there was help somewhere! Any thoughts or insight on this?

Late to chime in on this, but everything has to be tepid, or I get horrific hiccups and will have a huge hiccup every time I swallow. Really cold stuff makes me nauseated, and really hot stuff gives me hiccup spasms.

However, the tepid gives me reflux. I just decide which I want, usually hiccups over reflux and nausea. So I have a lot of hiccups....morgan

I'm having the same problems as you all .

I cannot eat anything hot , so a cooked dinner has to be left on the side to cool down before I dare touch it , also quantity is another problem with me now , when we go out to eat , which at this time is quite often as we are waiting for our new cooker to arrive (this Friday thank heavens ) well I have to ask for a child's portion as I just cannot cope with a normal UK adults meal anymore.

This you might think is great , think of all the weight loss...............none! not a pound so far and I haven't been eating adult size meals for simply ages now.

If I eat more than say 10-12 mouthfuls my throat contracts , I loose my normal voice and I sound like I have half a herd of frogs all sitting in my voice box nattering together , I sweat even more .......if thats possible than normal and I just feel so ill , really unwell , spinney headed , my hands, feet and face goes cold , I feel awful .

So what with the hot drinks , this even includes the cup of coffee I have in the mornings , this has been the one thing in my life that I really love , to wake up , sit in bed with the telly on ( setting all the things to record for the day ) watch the news with a big cup of coffee and my vast amount of drugs :rolleyes: this has become a sort of ritual in my house , but not any more if I take one mouthful I want to be sick or I get an instant headache ...........yet once I'm up and have been walking around for say 20-30 minutes I can have a coffee and no problems at all . This is so strange !

So cups of drink are either left to go cold or I drink noting but juices and that kind of stuff and as for food , well this has to be left to go cold as well or I eat salads and cold meats etc , my son and husband think its awful , but you just get used to it dont you , its that or nothing .

I to am pleased that I'm not the only one , well pleased isn't a very good way of putting it ,but I think you all now what I mean , its very hard trying to get over to a ' non-pots-person ' or 'NNP' as I call them just what you have to do , change or make do with in order to have reasonable way of living each and every day . Ami

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes hot liquids make my entire esophagus shut down. The whole thing paralyzes and I stop being able to initiate a swallow and my whole stomach freezes which brings about nausea and severe bloating. It's crazy that this, too, is a symptom that more than just I deal with. I frequently feel like my body is so strange there can't possibly be people out there experiencing the same thing.

• 13 years later...

Hi all! 

I'm going to school to learn to be an herbalist and I am struggling with my intolerance to hot teas haha. I have NEVER been able to stomach hot drinks, I can't really handle ice cold drinks either. I started going to school to learn herbalism and nutrition because I want to start taking care of my body better. I often wake up really nauseous, have stomach issues and bathroom issues in general lol. I am always cold too, so I want to be able to enjoy a hot drink every once in a while! I am writing a paper right now about teas and I was researching this very issue! this is the closest page I could find about what I am experiencing, because it is not a caffeine thing or a milk thing either it doesn't matter what drink it is- it is the temperature itself!

Would anyone here advise me to look into POTS as a cause? I have been having tons of issues in the past year with migraines / digestional issues. I just want to get better. My research long ago lead me to POTS but I had forgotten about it. Hopefully now things can start to get better! Thanks everyone for sharing. 

On 1/4/2008 at 10:43 AM, ajw4790 said:

Ernie,

You can't eat any hot food? Wow, I guess you could get used to it after a while. But, it seems hard.

Does anyone know why this sensitivity occurs?

Interesting on how many people do experience it.

Thanks for your help!

I have not been able to eat any hot or warm food for over four years now.. tho I. Still not OK with it so I do still try and  I end up getting weak and sick every time.. I've been to multiple  doctors  and have yet to figure out why.. I would love to see some light at the end of the tunnel 

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
On 1/8/2008 at 3:08 PM, crazyblue said:

:) it's just not the same with warm chocolate. lol

I know before I was diagnosed, hot meals made me more tachycardic then usual, that and I had delayed gastric emptying so I'm glad that I don't have that anymore. It was so hard trying to have a family diner then feel like fainting for hours after eating.

Hi I saw this post and i am similar as I can’t handle hot drinks even in winter I have to drink near frozen or extremely cold. I saw you said you HAD delayed gastric emptying which I was diagnosed with nearly 4 years ago and was wondering how you got rid of that condition if that’s ok as it is a debilitating condition for me. Please I need to know please I’m desperate to know.

• 1 month later...