Heat Intolerance

beth27

Lately since the weather has changed and now wherever I go, stores, church, cars... people have the heaters on full blast.. I just can't handle the heat. I'm fanning and wearing short sleeves. I can't even sit at church ..I'm so hot , it makes me feel like I can't breathe... and then get lightheaded. I have to go sit in the back. And at stores like walmart... i cant take it long.. its so hot.. does anyone else have heat intolerance??

Yes, you are not alone with this one. It's amazing that it only takes my body a few minutes to react negatively to any temp that isn't about 73 degrees! Anything hotter or cooler and I feel like patootie - and since we already feel like dungbettles, having to feel patootie on top of it just takes the cake B)

- Tammy

Guest tearose

You are too cute tammy, patootie made me laugh.

I too have a very sensitive thermostat. My body does best at 72. I can manage some heat but then all of a sudden I will overheat and feel horrible. I also hate cold though. I get shivering fingers, toes and a cold nose once the temp is below 70.

Sorry beth27, I hope you can use some cooling garments if the heat is becoming a challenge.

We are all so different, I just ordered my first battery operated heating vest yesterday, and you beth27 need to order a cooling vest!!! B)

best regards,

tearose

I can't deal with temperature changes/heat either. I'm comfortable right arond 68 degrees. I can handle up to 75 degrees, as long as the sun isn't out. 1 minute on a hot day in the sun will MESS ME UP!

I was told by my EDS Doc that it's the POTS, and EDS. He said my vascular tone is poor, and this may be adding to the problem. Upper spine compression doesn't help either. They are also investigating a few brain lesions I have.

This past summer has been particularly bad for me, and I'm still not feeling recovered from it, and now have to figure out how I'm going to deal with the cold, as I can't adjust to that either.

Maxine :0)

Yes. Heat is one of my worst triggers. I have a cooling vest to wear inside and outside when the heat is too much. I also wear lighter clothes in the winter than most people. If I'm going someplace that I know will be warm I'll wear a lightweight shirt or layers that can be shed as I get warm.

Rachel

This dungbeetle can't stand heat. I've always HATED summer, and now I know why!

I don't like being cold, either (my toes and fingers and tip of my nose get icy) but I find it easier to deal with because I can always add layers, drink hot chocolate, turn up the heat ... Summer's bad because once you're down to light clothing, there aren't a whole lot of socially acceptable options (besides swimming, and with my thighs, that's not very acceptable.)

Amy

Swimming is good for cooling down, but that means hair-washing, which means hair-dryer, which leads round to heat again - vicious circle!!

I hate being too hot too. My workplace is far too warm for me, even after changing to work in a cooler part of the building I still cook. I spend most of the year wearing really light-weight shirts, so thin that they are see-through and I need flesh coloured bras. My Mum always wants to buy me cardigans but I would never wear one at work.

I don't like being too cold but I would rather have to defrost my toes infront of a fan heater then curl up with a duvet wrapped arround me and a mug of warm blackcurrant squash / fruit tea than be sweltering in front of the air-conditioning.

Given that it is mid-November, I haven't even turned the heating on at home yet. The A/C hasn't been used for a few weeks but my large room fan still gets turned on to cool me down!

Here's to crunching through crisp fallen leaves on a chilly autumn day!

Flop

I tend to be one of those people who is always cold and walks around shivering. But I guess I am a big wimp b/c I also get extremely uncomfortable when it's too hot. I have to dress in layers so that I can adjust all the time. I actually think the extreme heat is worse for my POTS symptoms than the cold. I can feel sick for hours or days from the heat, whereas the cold doesn't seem to have much of a lasting effect once I'm inside.

Hi!

Heat was especially hard on me again today... It has been many days now at school where they roast us. Everyone is sweating and hot, you can imagine if others are hot, I am seriously struggling! I don't understand why it needs to be 85 inside? Three plus hours of this was pure torture. I have gotten a lot better at tolerating heat since getting some help with treatment (meds etc), but in extremes there is still a lot of problems.

Today it felt like I couldn't breathe or sit there, like I needed to run outside. It kinda felt like a slow death. My body starts to shut down. I can not live in this sauna... the only other real option is quitting school, which I do not want to do. It has been overwhelming.

I emailed building maintainance again today to see if they can work on it, they didn't respond. We will see tomorrow! They were able to open the only windows in the building today, but then someone catches a chill, and they have to close them. Then we roast!

So, I continue to work on dressing in layers, plenty of cold water, will try to take in at least one fan tomorrow, also some cold packs, but they will not always be reasonable and able to use. So, I have tried what I know what to try. It is a double edged sword b/c if I get to cold I am in a lot of pain. So, I am trying to find a happy medium. :huh:

So, anyways 3 hrs. of this, meant that for one I am limited in my comphrension and ability to concentrate in what is going on. So, that stinks! Then, over time it wears me down and I get so tired and so unable to focus and compehend and even just function. :)

Then, I had to go to a drs appmt. One good thing that got to see what I am like when I feel crappy! But, bad thing is I am limited in my comphension of what they are telling me, I forget all my questions, I am unable to communicate effectively what I am trying to say. It is so frustrating!!! I finally get to see this dr. and I feel like crap! Then, as many of ya know if you are having a bad day, and you are kinda blah, and even a little frustrated with everything then they start on the are you depressed thing. I am like no, I am just frustrated at feeling like crap, and having a hard time functioning right. If I feel good, I am fine, all is good, I am not down on myself, or crying a lot etc. I think he understood, but it is hard if this is the only time they see you. Man, it is so frustrating!

I just got choked up for a second, mainly b/c of frustration. I continue to do crappy on some tests, and then got a note on an assignment today saying the next one has to be better! That was just a bunch of frustration all at once! So, with everything I was slightly emotional and I think the dr. just wasn't sure what is going on. I hope he understood!!! So, part of this too is trying to stay in schools, knowing I have clincals coming up in a likely hot environment, etc. I guess I was just wanting more help if at all possible with the heat intolerance. I think he understood, which was great!!! :huh:

But, there is just so much going on to address everything! I totally understand, I just am trying to find a way to make all of this work out. So, for now it is start Neurontin this weekend for neuropathy pain and RLS (hopefully improve sleep!). Then, the neuropsych testing for ADD. Then, may add in ADD meds (Concerta). My concern that I tried (pretty poorly-due to inability to concentrate) was that would these help with the heat? I think he did end up understanding where I was coming from ;) , and I am supposed to see him in two months. Then I guess the plan would be to increase the beta blocker, and Zoloft.

So, I am hoping that it all works out relatively well! It is just a long road (years)! :(

After all this I was EXHAUSTED and came home and slept like six hours, and have a migraine trying to come on. Fun times!

So, mainly this long and drawn out thing was some form of a release of frustrations/update/rant and asking for any ideas or thoughts people may have.

Thanks for putting up with me! I was just needing to share with others who I knew would understand where I am coming from! :blink:

Thanks!!! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I just want to know what a "dungbettle" is!? :) I've been sitting here smiling for about 5 minutes after just reading that word. You guys are so funny!

I also get overheated in the stores, etc these days. I'm all about wearing layers because I can easily get too cold as well.

Lisa

Like someone I think was already posting... Does anyone notice that they do not tolerate certain kinds of heat at all, and others are better?

For example central heat to me makes me feel awful normally no matter how it is set. If a heater fan is just on in the room and not blowing on me at all I am much better even if the thermostat is nearing 80 degrees. (granted the heater fan is blowing towards the thermostat- so it is not likely accurate.)

Just wondering if anyone else has this? It is weird, I know, anyone know why it may happen that way?

Thanks!!! :)

This is pitiful that I actually knew what a dungbeetle was before I read the interesting article posted by Amy! We live on a sustainable farm, and disappearing manure piles is how my farmer husband gauges that we actually have enough dungbeetles. To actually let you know how "organic" they are, and how much they contribute, they break down the manure so that the fly eggs laid don't have a chance to turn into larvae and become even more flies! It is a natural pest control! There, I may not have any other answers for this board, or even for my own health issues, but I can at least answer about dungbeetles! :)

This summer I couldn't tolerate the heat - I cranked the air conditioner and froze my family, and carried a fan with me.

Now that it's so cold here in Colorado Springs, I can't get warm. My hands are like ice. I've been trying to wear gloves with the tips cut off to try to keep my hands warm while at work, but it doesn't help a lot. Last night I had the fireplace going, in addition to the central heat, and huddled under an afghan, and still couldn't get warm enough.

Seems like it's either feast or famine!

Like someone I think was already posting... Does anyone notice that they do not tolerate certain kinds of heat at all, and others are better?

For example central heat to me makes me feel awful normally no matter how it is set. If a heater fan is just on in the room and not blowing on me at all I am much better even if the thermostat is nearing 80 degrees. (granted the heater fan is blowing towards the thermostat- so it is not likely accurate.)

Just wondering if anyone else has this? It is weird, I know, anyone know why it may happen that way?

Thanks!!! :(

It's hard for me to tell, because when central heating is on it's winter and there aren't any other ways for me to get hot. But one thing I do know that's bad about indoor heating is that it causes low humidity. I don't know if low humidity is specifically bad for POTS, but it seems to make everyone feel awful. For me it causes serious problems with breathing, because it dries out my nasal cavity and worsens my congestion; I end up breathing through my mouth and get very dehydrated, which in turns worsens everything else. It's also impossible to get refreshing sleep because of the discomfort, and that really causes problems (headaches, tiredness, brain fog).

Grarduh:

I took me forever to remember to respond, :D but I thought what you said probably does have a lot of truth for myself and what I have experienced/observed. That was good thinking! I had not put it together like that yet! :P

Somedays and places are better than others...

So, I wonder... does anyone use a humidifier and find that helpful?

Thanks! :)

Grarduh:

I took me forever to remember to respond, :D but I thought what you said probably does have a lot of truth for myself and what I have experienced/observed. That was good thinking! I had not put it together like that yet! :P

Somedays and places are better than others...

So, I wonder... does anyone use a humidifier and find that helpful?

Thanks! :)

It's nice to know that my thoughts may be helpful. Humidifiers definitely make a difference to me. During the winter, my indoor humidity is around 26%. That causes sore throat and dry skin for even the normal people who live in my house, and kills me as I have eczema and am constantly dehydrated from peeing buckets of fluids. So I have humidifiers all over the house - small ones in bedrooms, and a big "console" humidifier that outputs 9 gallons of moisture a day in my basement.