Nausea

Jacquie802

hi guys,

I havent been here posting much due to my horrible nausea. I have tried alot of things, ginger ale, etc. and none really help all that much. Also, many meds as well. Id like to hear what everyone else out here does for their nausea, I'm tired of feeling sick all of the time. sorry for being such a downer i am just feeling helpless right now. :P

jacquie

I've posted this before somewhere. An Indian doctor taught me a wonderful traditional Indian remedy for nausea. He gave me a small pot of spices (fennel seeds, cardamom pods, whole cloves and a few others). The idea is that you chew them to relieve the nausea. He had me start by just putting one seed / por between my teeth and lips to get used to the strong flavour, now I can actually chew them. My favourite is fennel seeds and I always have a small tub in my handbag (the pots that camera films come in are handy, if you haven't gone digital).

Hope you find something that brings you some relief.

Flop

LOVE ZOFRAN!!!!!!!!!!!! But, so expensive.

I had nausea for many, many years. Lived on prilosec, zantac and maalox.

When I started Celexa 10mg a couple years ago it disappeared.

I rarely have nausea now and used to have it constantly.

Weird. :P

Dawn

I usually try a cup of peppermint tea. That alleviates the nausea some for me. Other times I just have to wait it out. I've found that lying on my side is less nauseating than lying on my back.

Flop, I've never heard of chewing on small spices to relieve nausea. That's really interesting! I'll have to give it a try! I think I'll have to go with the cloves.

I hope you find something that helps you, Jacquie.

Rachel

Rachel, you're brave to start with a clove - they are one of the more potent flavoured spices in the mixture. If anyone wants to start with a mild flavour try the fennel seeds - quite a nice aniseed flavour, not strong unless you bite the seed.

Rachel - let me know how you get on with my Indian nausea remedy. Apparently in India some restaurants have bowls of fennel seeds by the exit and people take them to prevent nausea from over-eating a big meal.

Flop

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies...

Flop, I am curious whether the fennel seeds, cardamom pods, whole cloves, etc. are safe to use. I guess what I am wondering is whether there are any adverse affects.

Dsdmom, Zofran is the only medicine that I've tried so far that helps. My insurance most likely will not cover it, so my Gastro. doc hasn't prescribed it. He did say it is hard to get covered though. When my nausea is horrible I go to the hospital ER and they give me Zofran through and IV...Works wonders....

Persephone, what is cyclizine?? Is that the generic or brand name of the medication??

I am on Zoloft but it has not helped at all with my POTS or nausea. It has helped with the headaches I used to get all the time. They still occur but not as often. Also, the Zoloft helps with my anxiety...

Thanks again for taking the time to reply! :)

Jacquie

Hi Jacqui,

Just to let u know Cyclizine is also known as Valoid.

Some other good ones are:

- Promethazine Hydrochloride

-Chlorpromazine Hydrochloride

-Metoclopramide Hydrochloride aka Maxalon

-Odanestron aka Zofran

Hope this helps x

hmmm...Zoloft can add to the nausea but I am sure you have heard that by now.

Have your tried gingeroot capsules (Bought from a store with high turnover so it's fresh..check expiration date..should be a year or more away) to make into tea? two capsules per cup and sweeten with honey or sugar. STIR as you drink as it settles to the bottom.

Also FRESH Ginger root is good, Cut off bark and shred fresh ginger, as much as you can store in a small glass jar. Put a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and store in fridge. Put one or two teaspoons in cup and pour very hot water over it and let steep 10 minutes. Best if drunk on empty stomach and followed by food in 30 minutes.

DO be careful if you have heartburn or esophageal issues, ginger AND peppermint can be VERY IRRITATING.

In general, Ginger is safe and used by pregnant women. Sometimes you need to take it early in the day or when the nausea starts. Once you are horribly nauseated, it may not help.

This is an ancient remedy. Also good for digestion. Drunk 30 minutes before a meal, gets digestive fire going to you digest your food better.

Course, when you are VERY NAUSEATED, it can be hard to eat or drink anything.

GOOD LUCK.

Sophia3,

I never knew that Zoloft can add to the nausea. It's strange how some SSRI's help and others can actually make the nausea worse. :) My doc did give me an RX to try both Metroclopamide and Promethazine...To be honest I am very wary of the side effects, I am especially nervous because my mom had a severe allergic reaction to an unknown medication. Thanks for all the ideas, I am hoping to talk to my GI doc VERY SOON....This is the week he is on vaca.

Jacquie

You poor thing! Nausea used to be my chief dysautonomic complaint as well. Not anymore! I instituted a diet that is free of gluten, dairy, fruit, caffeine, alcohol and sugar (OK, I cheat once in a while with the sugar). This diet has changed my life dramatically. I used to sleep with a bucket by the bed and carry around a barf-bag all day and now nausea is such a rarity. I would encourage you to try the above listed diet. It might help. And it certainly won't harm.

Another trick I learned is if I iced my stomach (with an ice pack or even a very cold large rock) it would relieve the nausea entirely or at the very least minimize it. It, too, is worth a try.

I hope my tips will be helpful. I know how debilitating constant and severe nausea can be. Best of luck...

• 1 month later...