Had To Get A New Picc Line

AJVDK

Hey All,

I thought I would drop a line and say hello! Give you all an update how things are going with the Lyme/pots treatment.

Well this week started off really bad! On Monday my arm was really red all around my PICC line. So I called my doctor office and they wanted to see me. So I went it and they said it was a reaction to the tape holing the PICC to my arm, and that I needed to have my home health nurse come out today and redress my arm. So I called and she came out. She agrees about my arm. When she when to draw back blood on my line there was no blood return, so I needed to go to the hospital to have TPA put in the line. (No I am getting worried as this is the 2nd time already in 14 days that I have had to have TPA.) So Tuesday is I when to the hospital, but ?? I ended up having to have the PICC remove as it had yellow/brown color stuff coming out of where the PICC is. So they pulled the PICC, and placed a new one so that I can still receive my meds.

They are now talking that if this PICC goes bad too, that they are going to place a port instead. I am not sure what I am going to do. But they all agree I am still going to need the fluid and Abx.

As for the Lymes treatment I am doing IV abx every 12 hours. I started a pain patch to help with all the joint pain, it is helping some. The big problem not is that I am getting really dizzy again, and the POTS stuff is getting worse. So it like you treat the one and the other gets worse. I am hoping as time goes on things will get better.

So that was my week, I am hoping next week will get better!

Thanks for listing!

Edited by AJVDK

below is a repost for you- sophia

and AJVDK, so sorry- hang in there!

AJVDK writes

"Hey All,

I thought I would drop a line and say hello! Give you all an update how things are going with the Lyme/pots treatment.

Well this week started off really bad! On Monday my arm was really red all around my PICC line. So I called my doctor office and they wanted to see me. So I went it and they said it was a reaction to the tape holing the PICC to my arm, and that I needed to have my home health nurse come out today and redress my arm. So I called and she came out. She agrees about my arm. When she when to draw back blood on my line there was no blood return, so I needed to go to the hospital to have TPA put in the line. (No I am getting worried as this is the 2nd time already in 14 days that I have had to have TPA.) So Tuesday is I when to the hospital, but ?? I ended up having to have the PICC remove as it had yellow/brown color stuff coming out of where the PICC is. So they pulled the PICC, and placed a new one so that I can still receive my meds.

They are now talking that if this PICC goes bad too, that they are going to place a port instead. I am not sure what I am going to do. But they all agree I am still going to need the fluid and Abx.

As for the Lymes treatment I am doing IV abx every 12 hours. I started a pain patch to help with all the joint pain, it is helping some. The big problem not is that I am getting really dizzy again, and the POTS stuff is getting worse. So it like you treat the one and the other gets worse. I am hoping as time goes on things will get better.

So that was my week, I am hoping next week will get better!

Thanks for listing!"

Hi Amy,

sorry to hear that you had to have your PICC removed. It's good news though that they were able to place another one right away and that they also have a plan of what to do if there are further PICC problems. Good to know that your docs are taking good care of you and sorting out the problems.

Sounds like the first PICC might have got infected, are you keeping a check on your temperature? If not it might be worth checking it a couple of times a day so you can alert you doc if it goes up.

Hope the sore arm settles down quickly, it must be a pain having both arms hampered by dressings!

Take care,

Flop

Dear Amy,

It sounds like you have had quite the week. I've been thinking about you and wondering how you've been. I'm so sorry about all of the problems with your PICC line, dizziness, etc. I hope that next week goes better for you and brings a bit of relief from some symptoms.

Hang in there and let us know how this week goes for you.

((((HUGS))))

Rachel

i can definitely empathize with repeated PICC line changes. i've actually never have a PICC line infection as a root problem but every time i've been septic (from other sources) they still have to change the line b/c it's the "best" place for the infection to lie dormant. for that reason i've had 4 PICCs & a broviac (a type of tunneled catheter central line) in the past year. ironically enough the only actual line infection i've had was when i had a broviac which statistically "should" last longer & is less prone to infection. mine only lasted three weeks.

if you do continue having trouble with irritation from the dressings though (and not the actual line itself) let me know as i hd to try several to find things that my skin can tolerate & can pass the info your way.

:) melissa

Guest tearose

I only had a PICC placed once...not one of my favorite memories for certain. I am so sorry the PICC had to be replaced. I hope you adapt quickly and this will be fine for as long as you need it now.

healthy wishes

tearose

AJVDK,

So sorry you are going through this. I can say, "Been there, done that" . It's not fun but I now have a port that is not working either so all of these central lines have their significant risks and complications (which is why it's best to only have them placed when there is no other alternative).

Anyhow, I too had the bad reactions and am now allergic to all adhesives of any kind. I had to go to a completely cloth dressing which had to be changed every other day. Ask about that if you need to; it's not a common thing but if nothing else works it's your last resort.

How is your picc secured? Is it sutured, using a stat lock or both? That can make a difference too.

Hope this week is better.

Melissa,

My first PICC I ended up getting sepsis was in the hospital 7 days in Jan. They said I had an infection in my body that spead to my PICC, so that why that one got removed. No this one I will get the finall results teusday. I am wanting to see what the reports will say. I am Hoping this being #3 "will work line a charm"... but they are not holding there breath. I may need to talk to you about dressing covers, I had gone though many kinds all ready.

Poohbear,

I have always had a power PICC with 2 lumen, and I have a stat lock. I also agree that you should olny use a picc/port.... as a loas option. Between the fliuds for the POTS to keep me going, and my abx for the lymes it keeps me going. Plus they can no longer get blood from me, it fact this new line didn't even go in the easy, and mines a cut done. Pooh did the port work better for you? I am very worried about having to have a port, as I already having the problem with infection, and having my pacemaker, but my doctor all fill the benfits out way the risk as it comes donw to my quality of life.

Thank you all for the support. I am hoping this week will be better! B)

You may want to ask them about suturing in the picc and getting rid of the stat lock. The adhesives on the stat lock cause pretty bad reactions in most people with the skin allergies and sensitivities. The only way we ever got my skin to heal was to get all the adhesives off of it.

The port, statistically, has the least risk of infection of any of the central lines. But, make sure you understand all the pro's and con's so you can make the best decision. It is nice in that once it is healed you have no dressing (unless you leave the needle in for days or weeks at a time in which case you would have a dressing over it AND by leaving the needle in when the port is not in use you somewhat defeat the lower risk of infection). Once the port site heals you can shower, swim (again, only if the port is not accessed). I have done poorly with my port but it is mostly likely due to an incompetent surgeon.

As for the bad veins, mine are awful. I'm even "missing" some of the larger veins we're all supposed to have. The nurses are seldom ever able to draw blood from the port so that's been a problem. I'll probably be headed back to surgery soon for another surgery so the port will probably be removed and replaced at that time.

I do understand what you are saying about YOUR need for central access and there are a few of us who rely on these; my comment earlier about using them as last resort is mainly to help remind other people that these central lines have many complications that are not discussed often (this is especially true for folks like us that have a long term need for these types of lines). As you, sunfish and I are examples of people who really don't have a choice to have a line and yet, there are complications (some of which carry significant life threatening complications). Anyway....my previous comment was not directed at you but rather a reminder to everyone in general terms.

Good luck with the line issues and I hope you and your Dr's will be able to figure out what your best line option is.

hi again -

ditto to everything pooh said. and i basicly just wanted to reaffirm that you may want to ask about getting the PICC sutured. it ends up leaving scars that look like an alien bite of some sort when it is removed but as with pooh it did eliminate at least one level of the adhesive issue. minor scarring is the least of my concerns these days though and i get scars from allergic blistering to so eh well....initially i did fine with the statlock but then developed an allergy to that adhesive so stiches have been much better for me. some also believe that stitches secure the positioning better too such that they actually lower the risk of infection (though i'm not sure this is more than some people's opinion).

i think i posted extensively to pooh at one point re: the dressings i'd tried/found/ had some success with. i'll see if i can dig it up....i still get some skin irritation but it's not prohibitive.

B) melissa

me again B)

here's two links you may want to peruse (or relook at rather, as you probably read them originally since you posted in them yourself...different things may stick out to you now though):

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtop...amp;hl=dressing

in my post toward the bottom of this one i list the two dressings i've had some luck with. let me know if you have trouble finding them.

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtop...amp;hl=dressing

here there's some general discussion on PICCs, Ports, & other central lines that may also be helpful reading

hope this helps,

;) melissa