Weakness With Chills

Tammy

Hi! Just was wondering if anyone has ever had severe chills (like where you just can't get warm no matter how many blankets you pile on or even when sitting in front of a heater) but without having a virus? Usually when I get chills, I just need to sit in front of a heater or pile on blankets and they go away. For some reason, starting last week, I have been feeling extremely weak, worse than normal. Than by Saturday, I ended up with tachycardia that won't stop so we ended up in the Emergency Room. Eventually the tachycardia stopped but I continued to feel chilled and very ill. I had another one of these episodes again and just feel so yucky. The ER just stated that I had hypertension and that the tachycardia was probably from anxiety, which I really doubt because it all started at the same time. I like never get hypertension, I'm always on the low side for BP, so this is really strange. I would guess maybe viral but I don't have a fever, so these chills don't make sense and why I can't get warm is just so different. Anyone else ever have anything like this happen to ? It's really got me worried and need some support :) Thanks -

Tammy

Hey Tammy! That IS weird with the hypertension- I was going to chimein and say that I only ever get cold when my bp is low-- and when I'm due a period/or having one, I get cold like that. No amount of blankets keep me warm.

Except there was one time I got taken to the ER and had Vtach- I couldn't get warm then, and my pulse was away up to 232 bpm. I'm not sure why I got cold then as my bp was relatively high for me (about 140 systolic).

Let us know if you get any answers- it's a curious one.

persephone, just wondering, what caused your V-tachy? interestingly enough, significant hypothermic states can trigger v-tach, so i was curious what caused your v-tachy.

i am always freezing cold but i always have blamed that on the large amount of beta blockers i am on....not sure what my BP is doing when ive got the chitter chatters.....

My bp is on the low side and I am always hot. If I am cold I know that I must be sick or it is REALLY cold. I have had chills with no fever before and went to the er. The dr said that it was viral even though no fever. I didnt feel good at all at the time, but I dont know if it was a virus or POTs related.

Just a thought, but aren't chills sometimes a reaction to your own adrenaline? When I'm having a weird faint spell, it's often followed by chills, which I thought was the release of adrenaline to try to right things?

I also get chills during my period. The only thing that works for me is drinking really hot fluids.

I get similar episodes, but I'm not cold, just shaky. I always get them after a big adrenaline surge (usually because I've overextended myself that day or the day before).

I wouldn't invest much in what they told you at the ER, though. ER docs are bad diagnosticians and like to attribute everything to anxiety. You may want to talk to your cardiologist or neurologist...whoever treats your POTS.

I do get the chills and feel what I call unaturally cold. Like DD,it happens to me after overexertion(which is not much for me lately)What happens to me is ,I get shaky,tachy,nauseated and warm,then when I put my feet up and relax,I get the chills and cannot get warm.So far,no explanation or solution. P

when you say "chills" do you mean that you're physically shaking (visably) as well as that you're very cold? i'm asking b/c i'd have a different reply depending on what it actually going on. i've had both things happen which is why i'm asking. let me know and i'll extrapolate.

sorry you're feeling so cruddy though. i still wouldn't dismiss the possibility that you could be fighting off a bug of some sort but agree that you should follow up with a non-ER doc if it continues.

:) melissa

I get the chills and teeth chatters and nothing,not even a heating pad gets me warm. Sometimes it just happens and I have it all day or sometimes it happens with surges.

Have you been doing more than usual? Busier this past holiday week?.. Being overstimulated, even if you don't think you are, it can just be there, the adrenaline slowly trickling in and the chills start. For me the heartrate can go up after also. Most times the heartrate is up before the chills but it does happen the other way too.

Hope you are feeling better.

Thanks for all your replies! I am so thankful for the support here and gives me so much comfort :P I still am not feeling well at all. I'm not sure if my daughter's b-day party set things off from the previous Saturday - stange that it would take a week to really kick in. It was only like a 3 hour thing and I felt at ease during the party, so wouldn't think that was it. As for the type of chills, it was like bone chilling with shaking and teeth chatter. I did go in for a follow-up visit and my doctor wants me to try Inderal and Prozac, but usually meds my body won't tolerate so not very hopeful. I took my first Inderal this morning and felt very adrenaline "rushy" about and hour later, which is exactly what I would want them to get rid of, so that's confusing. I took a infant size amount of Prozac last night and didn't seem to notice too much, but wasn't feeling too bad at the time either. This is just so frustrating and I seriously am afraid I won't be here to see my daughter grow-up, it's like I feel like I'm in a dying process and can't find help from physicians, etc. :lol:

Sorry to be so not positive but I really am at a lose with all this again.

-Tammy

I totally relate to being cold and getting chills. I suffer really badly with that symptom. I am forever frezzing cold and my toes actually become white and numb from lack of blood. The ANS controls everything in our bodies so we can not regulate temperature well. I know with me no matter what i do I can not get warm for nothing unless of course it is very hot out then I feel faint and experience panic attacks. My body seems to over react to every stimuli I am in contact with.