Florinef & Beta Blockers

juliegee

Hi All-

I have a quick question. I've recently started taking .1mg of Florinef and Thermotabs/salt tablets. I think it's helping me feel better. (My GI motility is much improved, but I began taking eythromycin as a prokinetic, at about the same time.) My internist wants me to add Atenol. I'm hesitant as BB's have always made me so tired in the past. Does anyone take a BB with Florinef? If so, is it helpful?

Thanks in advance-

Julie

I took both the florinef along with the BB together in the past...It worked very well, however I had to stop due to the headaches I was getting....My docs and I aren't sure if the Florinef caused them or I just get them in general because I still do get the headaches now... :unsure:

Goodluck!

Jacquie

I take both and don't have any problems. I had to play with the different brands and dosages of BBs for a bit and at one point I took a calcium channel blocker instead of a beta blocker b/c I always got dizzy on the BB. Now I take a real small dost of Atenolol and that seems to work just fine. I never had a problem with fatigue on them though, just dizziness.

hi early on in pots i took florinef. midorine.. and beta blockers.. (i believe cardizem and metorpolol and atenolol)...tried these bb's a different time i mean with the other 2 meds...

Hope that the med combo helps you!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Yes i take Florinef and a bb, I at first slept like 2 wks couldnt hardly wake up, now i am ok except that it has been around 2 mths and now having headaches they say is prb from the florinef, but now talking of switchin my bb and florinef to midodrine or something. Hopin not to have prb hate changin meds, hope u do ok. If u are having palps it may benefit u, however if u dont mind my askin why do they want to add the other meds??

donna

Hi Donna-

Thanks for your help. I think my doc wanted to add the BB because he was trying to lower my HR and increase blood volume at the same time. So far, I've resisted the BB. (I've taken them in the past and they make me so tired.) The florinef and Thermotabs are definately helping. i feel better so I'm exercising more, which is lowering my resting HR to the 60's. When I stand, it goes to the 90,s. Very bearable. Let me know how midrodine works for you.

Julie

Hi Julie,

I took a BB and Florinef at the beginning. I actually got worse on that combo. What eventually worked for me (along with plenty of rest, fluids, and salt) was to cut the BB out all together and reduce the florinef to take just what i needed to get by. I'm very drug sensitive, so the meds were causing major problems. I think that a BB and florinef is a common combo to do just what you said: raise blood volume and lower heart rate.

Hope you find what works for you!

Kristen

Hi Julie,

I took florinef and atenolol for the first year of my illness. (Now I'm just down to atenolol.) Beta blockers can be great for us because they lower the HR, but many people have trouble taking them because they also lower the BP. The florinef builds up your BP and helps balance out the effects of the atenolol, so many docs prescribe beta blockers in combination with florinef. I hope the combination works for you!

-Rita

Julie

I hope they work for u, i havent started the midodrine yet, they r trying to wean me off the steroid, i hear it can be rather dangerous to stop taking it suddenly, but i cant exercise at all, i feel sweaty and clammy just walking how do u guys feel up to that. Or do some people have better tolerance, i am new to this so any help would be appreciated

Good luck to u too

donna