Brain Surgery...

ode_to_fantasy

So a nurse called me the other day to tell me that I do indeed have a cyst on my Pineal Gland. I have an appointment Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning to talk more about it. I was looking it up and it would explain alot of my symptoms...not all...but a good deal of them. (My Cardiologist could figure out why I've been hallucinating, but this explains it.) I'm terrified of the thought of brain surgery, but really excited about the thought of maybe feeling normal for the first time since I was a kid...even if it takes a rediculously insane brain surgery to get there. I hope that sugery will take away at least my migranes, vertigo, and hallucinating...maybe even my passing out! I know I have the tachycardia and nerve problems, but I'm excited that I might be able to get even a little bit better!

Hi there-

Wow! Have they told you that you need brain surgery? I'm the other member with a pineal cyst... I posted about it a while back. My neurologist said that mine didn't bear any relationship to my headaches, numbness, autonomic issues, etc. Are you sure that yours accounts for your symptoms? Pineal cysts are often incidental findings on MRI's. Yours would have to be blocking your cervical/spinal fluid from circulating or otherwise bulking into other territory to need surgery.

If this does account for yor symptoms- how cool to have a solution. But, I understand the pineal cyst is in the center of the brain and hard to get to. Please consider surgery as a last resort and get several opinions before you proceed.

Most importantly, keep us updated. I'm sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Julie

So a nurse called me the other day to tell me that I do indeed have a cyst on my Pineal Gland. I have an appointment Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning to talk more about it. I was looking it up and it would explain alot of my symptoms...not all...but a good deal of them. (My Cardiologist could figure out why I've been hallucinating, but this explains it.) I'm terrified of the thought of brain surgery, but really excited about the thought of maybe feeling normal for the first time since I was a kid...even if it takes a rediculously insane brain surgery to get there. I hope that sugery will take away at least my migranes, vertigo, and hallucinating...maybe even my passing out! I know I have the tachycardia and nerve problems, but I'm excited that I might be able to get even a little bit better!

Hi - My older sister was diagnosed with a pineal cyst a couple years ago (she's 24) I was recently diagnosed with one along with abnormal tightness down my brain cords (not sure if that makes any sense) But anyways the point of this post is MAKE SURE you are talking with a good neurologist/surgeon. My sister went to the Mayo Clinic and then got a second opinion from a top doctor in New York. All told her that monitoring the cyst was key becuase in order to do surgery to get to the cyst its like playing a game of LIFE...one slighly miscalulated move and the lights go out. All her surgeons HIGHLY advise anybody doing surgery UNLESS a change in the size or shape of the cyst OR you cannot roll your eyes upwards.

Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Hi there-

Wow! Have they told you that you need brain surgery? I'm the other member with a pineal cyst... I posted about it a while back. My neurologist said that mine didn't bear any relationship to my headaches, numbness, autonomic issues, etc. Are you sure that yours accounts for your symptoms? Pineal cysts are often incidental findings on MRI's. Yours would have to be blocking your cervical/spinal fluid from circulating or otherwise bulking into other territory to need surgery.

If this does account for yor symptoms- how cool to have a solution. But, I understand the pineal cyst is in the center of the brain and hard to get to. Please consider surgery as a last resort and get several opinions before you proceed.

Most importantly, keep us updated. I'm sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Julie

I have pineal cysts (two), but have never been told that surgery was required or indicated. Supposedly pineal cysts are common in the "normal" population.

Good luck with whatever direction this takes you in.

Nina

yeah i would get a second opinion too dear..i have a cyst on my pituitary gland and a lesion on my pineal gland...

pretty serious surgery.. i would chek out all your options.. and get another opinion from another doc or many docs..

goodluck

At least 2 of my Drs think that I should opt for the surgery as it explains almost everything...and I've been getting drastically worse for the past 3 months. I still have more Drs to go to to get their opinions though. Thank you all for your support and info. :P

I wish you the best of luck!!!

That would be a hard choice to make. I understand how you would feel that maybe you have a chance to feel even a little better with the surgery. Go with what you think is best for you. :P

Take care,

Amber