Sudden Fatigue...

Jacquie802

Hi guys,

I have searched the forum but couldn't quite find a post that matched what I was looking for..I have noticed that I am fine, wide awake one minute then all of a sudden I get this "heavy fatigue." I don't know how to quite explain it...but I can barely funtion..Sometimmes it passes after a half hour or so, but not other times..

Just curious if there's any pointers out there...I can't have caffeine @ all so that isnt an option!

Thanks

Jacquie

Jacquie,

I get like that at times myself. It's really a strange symptom to try to communicate, isn't it? I wasn't told to stop my intake of caffeine, but I can honestly tell you that it doesn't help me feel less fatigued when I get an "episode".

I've tried laying down, but it's not the fatigue that seems to benefit from getting a nap or extra rest (at least it's not that way for me). I simply have to wait it out. I'm not as fortunate as you are to have some spells last only a 1/2 hour or so, as mine tend to linger for a minimum of 2-3 hours. Once it subsides, I'm pretty much back to my "potsy" self (less that dreaded heavy fatigue).

Sorry I can't be of more help to you, but it will be interesting if anyone else understands this symptom or better yet, knows of a natural "pick me up".

Take care.......

Have you done a little bit of experimenting to see if the heavy fatigue has anything to do with what you ate? Specifically, if you were hungry and suddenly ate a very high carb food, the change in blood sugar could affect you this way. Or maybe, there are certain foods you can't eat (without feeling poorly).

Also, do you tend to eat "junk" foods laden with sugar? That can certainly give you fatigue. Have you tried eating six small meals a day instead of 3 big meals?

Just some suggestions.

I am fine, wide awake one minute then all of a sudden I get this "heavy fatigue." I don't know how to quite explain it...but I can barely funtion..Sometimmes it passes after a half hour or so, but not other times..

Dito. I also enjoyed the occasional wave of nausea too. I understand and wish I had some advice. I just try to sit down when it hits. If I can't I just try.

Goodluck

Dave

I get this it just comes on all of a sudden and wipes me out for an hour or so I feel like my body has no energy and then a little later I am fine..or vise versa. Sometimes I find it more if I have eatin a bigger meal than usual but not all the time.

I get the sudden fatigue and nausea thing too (they seem to go togather). I normally end up trying to sleep through it because, well, there's nothing else that can be done. Sometimes it almost seems more like pre-syncope then just fatigue- I get the vision blurry to gray thing, and it's like my limbs get so heavy that standing is impossible. And oftentimes if I try to stand through it, I will faint (though I don't do it often). It's a weird combo of dizziness and tiredness that just slams me. It's almost always worse in the morning, but there's not a particular trigger for it. I eat the same breakfast and snacks at the same time everyday, so it's not blood sugar (though being hungry will make it worse- it's just that not being hungry won't make it better).

and speaking of, I'm off to take a nap.

My husband gets that - we have always considered it to be pre-syncope. His lasts for a minimum of 1/2 hour and up to several hours depending on the situation. His twin has had extensive testing for narcolepsy with cataplexy (I think I have that spelled correctly) but everything was negative so we are still considering it pre-syncope. Basically he has only one option and that is to lay down.

We are hoping that better sleep with the CPAP machine will eliminate (or at least significantly reduce) these episodes. So far - 4 weeks of CPAP and looking good.

yeah jacquie i get that.. it is an overwhelming feeling and urge that i must lay down right away.. or i will just drop right there not sure if faint wise or strong incredibly uncontrollable urge to sleep.. i know if i fight that it makes it worse... and my legs will feel like lead if i try to walk... and i will be unable to walk a straight right ( not that i could do that on a good day anyways...lol..:D ).. but i often find when i get like that that i seriously bounce off the wall.. if the wall werent there.. id be on the floor..

i dont want to say give in to the whatever your are feeling.. but if it goes away after laying down for a while or sleeping.. sleep or lay down..

hope that you feel better girl!

hugs

linda

This symptom really throws me off. I get this even after I have taken the Midodrine, so I'm not really sure if it's anything to do with BP?!?

THanks for the replies soo far!

Jacquie

I have been dx with POTS, cfs and fibromyalgia and all I can say is that if I get enough sleep I generally do ok but some days I just get ssoooo sleepy I have to lay down and it really su==ks, but if I try to fight it it just gets worse. I have also noticed that if I take 1 ultracet pill in the early evening it takes away most pain and gives me an energy lift. This was prescribed by my rheumatologist but my POTS doctor now will prescribe it. It does make me kind of cranky sometimes though. I have been waking up all stiff and stuff but I only take it at night. Cause Im on so much other stuff.

I know it may sound funny, but The Cleveland Clinic recommended Gatorade for these episodes for me. They haven't totally gone away, but most of the day I can function just fine. I only have trouble when I stand too much (I'm a teacher).

Dr. Fouad said it's the salt and potassium in Gatorade that helps with fatigue episodes and faintness.

I hope it helps you! I drink about a liter a day with a liter of water, but she says just to drink when you're thirsty. I'd rather just give myself a goal and stick to it since I'm not disciplined.

~Leigh

Sudden fatigue, feeling like you're going to pass out, can't keep your eyes open, arms and legs get so heavy you can hardly move them, speech slows or garbles, thought process slows, can't figure out what is going on with your body. If that's what you're talking about, yea, I got it!

My family sees it coming on way before I do. My speech usually is affected first. Not much any Dr. can do to help me. They all say I am a special case and don?t fit neatly into any box. I have many other problems too. They think my brain is degenerating and I have a degenerative autonomic disorder. Yippee for me!

Wish I had something more encouraging to say besides I know exactly what you?re going thru.