Well I Applied For Ssdi Today

I had a phone interview today and he said it will take 3-5 months for it to be evaluated! I really should have done this a long time ago go but I was hoping I wouldn't need to go down that path. Anyone who is considering it you should definitely start now. If you get better you can always deny it.

Dayna

I hope you mean, if you get better, then you can turn the assistance down when you don't need it anymore? We've got enough trouble with people thinking we're faking it.

Good luck with the process.

It was the most stressful year I have ever lived through as I waited through 2 denials and the final acceptance, but well worth it. And absolutely necessary in my case. I had already proven I couldn't work, not even part-time. BTW, I acquired a lawyer at the second denial.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Well I was denied. I expected it. I've been feeling pretty good the last two months except for my lightheadedness and pre fainting spells that come occassionally but I still know I don't have the energy strength or stability with my illness to hold down a job. I'm debating whether or not to appeal.

What is involved in appealling? If I hire a lawyer will he handle all the paper work for me?

Any advise woul be great.

Dayna

Hi, Dayna.

I'm sorry you were turned down, but as you say, it's not surprising. I was denied twice, but did eventually get SSDI. I got a lawyer for the last appeal, which was hugely helpful. When SSA sent me the second denial, they included a few phone numbers for organizations of lawyers that specialize in disability cases. The standard practice seems to be that you pay nothing if you lose, and if you win, the lawyer gets a fixed percentage of your back benefits.

I got the lawyer when I was facing a hearing for the next appeal, and it sounds like you're not quite at that point yet. In my case, the lawyer either took care of the paperwork himself or helped me fill it out if he needed my input. I think I lucked out in terms of both lawyer and judge. At the time, I was working with a CFS diagnosis, but the court-appointed doctor wasn't willing to acknowledge that I had any problem other than depression. So after the hearing, my lawyer wrote up a statement explaining how my "depression" keeps me from working. I'm not thrilled to have a psychiatric diagnosis on the record, but at least I got the benefits.

I would encourage you to go ahead and appeal if you're still not sure you can work. If or when you're approved, you get benefits back to when you started the application process, so there's an advantage to keeping it moving rather than starting over if you decide later that you need it, after all. If you do start working, all you have to do is tell them.

Good luck.

spike

I had to fill in papers, but the lawyer handled some behind the scene stuff of acquiring doctor's notes, etc.

I would encourage you TO CONTINUE the process and keep telling yourself that if you have to look a judge in the eye (during a hearing), that you could tell him that without a shadow of a doubt, you cannot work. If you can honestly say that to yourself , then you CAN say that to a judge.

You may be really sorry if you give up now. Keep on keepin' on...... You can do it.

And, yes, get a lawyer. They take a cut if you win (up to a limit), and I don't think you pay if you lose.

I am impatiently waiting. I applied 2 years ago this month. Got denied twice. I have a lawyer, got one after my first denial. The law office does everything and told me not to contact social security. I am waiting for a hearing, it has been a year. Apparently my lawyer and ss are ready but they are having a hard time scheduling it. My lawyer said the most helpful thing is to get letters from your doctors explaining why you can't work. He said the judge usually just looks at them and grants it. I have asked my internist, neurologist and psychologist to write a letter.

Wish you luck and patience-

Dawn

Hi,

I applied in Oct 2005 got denied, did the reconsideration, got denied again. After I got denied the first time I got a lawyer. I honestly don't think I would be able to do it without him. I got a letter saying that they got my request for a hearing, just not sure how long that is going to take....

Thanks guys. My only fear is I have this intense desire to adopt in about 3 yrs. Does anyone know if getting benefits will affect my chances to adopt? can you adopt if you technically disabled?

I know children are hard but my husband is amazing and is actually the one looking into adoption. So I won't be alone. I know it sound weird, I can't work but I can raise a kid but like I said that is ONLY because of my wonderful husband that I do such a good job with the 3 kids I have now. My one and only job is caring for them everything else I do when I can.

Dayna

Dayna,

We adopted a boy who was in 3rd grade after I was diagnosed (I was working as a school nurse at the time). I knew him through school. Anyway, on the adoption physical it asks the doctor to say that you will live long enough to raise the child in his opinion. As POTS is not life threatening, he said it was not a problem.

Even if you are disabled, if you don't have a life threatening illness, I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

I can't imagine caring for a baby the way I feel but I don't know what your situation is.

Dawn

I applied back on 1/6/06, and I was also turned down, in June 2006, I am not at the reconsideration. I am hoping it will go though, but I am not holding my breath! I wish it could go faster! Lets hope we all get good news soon! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I know many of you can sympathize....I just found out I was denied social security today. This is all so frustrating. I called them to let them know about my new diagnosis (the mitochindrial disease) hoping it would help my case....but apparently they have already denied me. I guess the appeal process will be starting soon for me.

~Elle