How Much Time For Betablockers To Adjust?

Well the first few days I was doing good on BetaBlocker (metoprolol) no side effects that I couldn't handle and had extra energy. That lasted till day 4. I am now on day 11 and my main side effect is my eyes feel so tired they are burning. I'm not physically exhausted but because my eyes are tired feeling I feel real tired. Do you know what I mean?

Anyways it's a real crappy feeling as I don't even feel like doing anything. And am just real spacey. Is it possible this will go away as my body adjusts? If so how long does it take to be on a med before you know whether side effects will stay?

I don't see my doc till 8/08 so I need to stick it out till then because if I stop the med she feels I'm not wanting to try to get better and it is helping my migrianes(so far) any suggestions? I'm on 50 mg.

Basically all my rambling I'm asking if anyone had the fatigue pass after a few weeks on BB?

;)

Dayna

hi Dayna!

i am on inderal/propanolol....and i felt like a worn wet noodle....for prob a month or more.

i still need to nap or rest on and off...but the above EXTRA intense feelings of lethargy...have passed.

i also take small doses every 4-5 hours during day...and another small dose @ bed.

that works best for me, rather than large doses.

LARGE DOSES WOULD SEND ME TO BED...ALL DAY....as would lower my BP and HR TOOOOOOOOO MUCH :)

i also take small dose of magnesium/calcium supplement...with each dose..as well as putting a potassium rich food in me with every dose...like a banana with pecans, for example-or some tomato juice with some cheese.

not a clue if this is important or not though ;)

i tried tenormin, toprol xl, lopressor, betaxolol....and each had some side effects i couldn't tolerate even short term, but stuck it out w/inderal....and thus far, tis only med i have tried that i can tolerate--to help me w/POTS.

best of luck with the metaprolanol....and hope i helped in some way.

PM me if i can be of more help possibly!

((((hugs))))

maggee

The worst symptoms took a week for me to adjust to. But the symptoms slowly kept going down, and after a year they were hardly noticable. I take atenolol. so I don't know about Lopressor. 50mg seems like a high dose to start off on. Is that the lowest dose you can take?

I took the same dose of metroprolol as you do, 25 mg 2x per day. I had the same side effects, and eventually, a little depression creeped up on me. I also tried adjusting down to 12mg 2x per day, and that didn't seem to be enough. I still got break-through tachycardia.

Finally, my new doctor put me on 25mg of Toprol XL per day (Toprol XL is metroprolol in the 24 hr. time release form). This has worked for me very, very well for the past year. It took me about a week to get used to it (I had been off all beta blockers by the time it was prescribed), and about 3 weeks to see the full effects. After that, my POTS symptoms all gradually improved over the next 3 months, and since then I live an essentially normal life.

Best of luck to you,

Carolyn

I think your medication is the same as Toprol XL. I take 50 mg once a day. If this is the same medication, I would look into why you are taking it twice a day. I believe it is an extended release pill.

hi again:)

toprol xl is the extended release form of lopressor/metaprolol.

just a personal experience FYI RE:lopressor/metaprolol....

>>>>i took 12.5 mg...and sometimes that would be all needed for HR control.

But>>>caused me terrible depression, and what i would describe as psychotic reaction also....eeerie thoughts---just intolerable!!!!!

knew it was the drug....as am not clinically depressed...and never had psychotic reaction....like that with any drug :unsure:

maybe, perhaps, try even lower doses thoughout the day....as you are already trying....???

well, we all so different with tolerance/intolerance to any drugs, but wishing you well in feeling better soon, and hope the metaprolol soon is your answer.....and the side effects===get lost!!!!!![ :angry::angry::( ]

(((((hugs))))

maggee

I take 2.5 mg of betatoxal in the early morning before I get up as I only seem to have morning tachs. The prescribed dose was 5 mg. I still get extreme jitters and shakes even though I am now on 4 mg of xanax a day and 2 mg of Clonopin to sleep and I just started 5 mg of Lexapro. I have anxiety issues. I think that if I know I can sleep in its better a bit, but if I have to get up I shake like a leaf and have to lie down after using the bathroom for like 30 minutes at least. Just started all these increased dosages, wonder what new doc will say. Maybe I should up the beta to 5 mg. It's such a weird uncomfortable feeling, not like a panic attack or even anxiety attack, but something like that. Been working for years to solve this and finally have some good docs helping!

I've been atenelol for years. For the most part I don't notice side effects anymore. I get the burning eyes, but I am guessing that is weather related-especially with the humidity or allergies. To be fair, give it a bit longer and see how it goes.

Laila,,I also have the morning tachy as soon as I open my eyes and am shaky etc. I take my beta blocker at that time, push some water and have to wait it out until it starts to kick in. Just getting up and moving sets it off even higher. For most of the day I am usually not to bad but the a.m. is the worst and it can last for about 3 hours for it all to settle, the jitters, my intestines to calm down(they overreact in the a.m. too!!) and my heartrate, the sweating..etc. :)