Has Anyone Used Calcium Channel Blockers?

Hi,

I was wondering if any one has tried using calcium channel blockers (especially verapamil) because I have recently been prescribed to take some and I am kind of hesitant and scared to take it....did it help and work for some people and what are the side effects that others have experienced while taking it? Thanks!!!

Hi, I was on Verapamil for a while, I think it was the extended release type, if I am remember correctly. The major side effect I had was fatigue, I don't remember anyother side effect. Goodluck if you decide to take it! :)

I had a very bad experience with Verapamil. I was exhausted, confused, and in general felt like I was going to die (sorry to be so dramatic). I took it when I was misdiagnosed with IST prior to my POTS diagnosis. My doctor preferred it to beta blockers since I'm an asthmatic. I took it for 3 weeks, and have only a very limited memory of that time. My friends still talk about how "out of it" I was, and how terrified they were.

When I was diagnosed with POTS later, my new electrophysiologist told me that in my case, "It was the worst drug choice possible". I'm not sure why he felt that way. If you are seeing an EP or cardiologist that you trust, they probably have a good reason for prescribing it, but if you have doubts, I'd ask for an explanation.

I am now on a low dose beta blocker, and I consider myself to be just about 100%. Hope you find what works best for you.

Carolyn

The side effect I had with the Verapamil was a low BP. Went down to 76/64 (my lowest). It didn't improve my symptoms though. I also tried Cardizem, and that didn't touch the symptoms either (except I did have less of those really harsh/painful palpitations). I know for many it causes constipation. Which was a bonus for me because I have the other end of the GI problems.

I hope it works for you!

i was on verapamill a few years back.. and i think one other calcium channel blocker as welll.. Um verapamill made me extremely exhausted.. and actually mademe worse symptom wise...it was a very short live medication

I was put on Verapmil after having a double cardiac ablation because my drs initially thought I had IST. It didn't help me at all. When I went to Mayo and was diagnosed I was told that calcium channel blockers do not help POTS at all. I went off of it and I couldn't even tell a difference. It was as if I had been taking a placebo the entire time.

Calcium channel blockers are used to treat hypertension, but they are generally not the first choice for the treatment of hypertension. They reduce blood pressure by relaxing the smooth muscle in the blood vessels. They can also decrease heart rate and can be useful in treating some forms of irregular heartbeat. However, it doesn't sound as if they would do me any good. I really don't need anything to relax my blood vessels any further. I already have hypovolemia. The last thing I need is vasodilation on top of that. If I had that together with a slower heart rate, I'd get very very sick, because my heart couldn't speed up to compensate for the vasodilation.

On the other hand, your situation might be totally different. Why does the doctor think that a CCB would help you? Is your problem a heart rhythm defect, rather than regular POTS?

One other thing: In men, some calcium channel blockers disrupt sperm production, almost effectively enough to be a useful contraceptive.